Let Orakpo go

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie
User avatar
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:57 am
Location: Noblesville, Indiana

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:42 pm

I might be thinking crazy here, but to me and even thou I like Rak, I think if he wants the big money it would be time to move on. It is possible that we get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick through a trade or two and draft a diamond in the rough in case Jackson can not step it up. I would sacrifice Rak for a #2 receiver?.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Hooligan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:47 pm

I think Rob Jackson is a more well-rounded linebacker than Orakpo is. IMHO Orakpo provides an improved (yet inconsistent) pass rush, and that's about it. If we're staying in the 3-4, I'd rather plug in Jackson and spend that elite money on an elite nose tackle, rotating Cofield or bumping him outside with Bowen and Jenkins
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

the 'mudge
Posts: 14799
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Rob Jackson is more than servicable... we lose a bit in the pass rush, but gain a much smarter defensive player overall... better in pass coverage.

but , beyond that... 2 words... Brandon Jenkins. This is the reason he was drafted. Lis Franc is healed up... it's time.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
That is a concern of mine. But I think Kerrigan has progressed even more since 2012 when Orakpo was out most of the year, so I'm optimistic that we don't need the $10 million solution to make him effective.


I think Jackson can fill that gap.


I say keep the best players you can and let Eric Shafer worry about fitting these guys in the cap, etc.

Hog
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 pm

If you do not resign Orakpo who do we sign as his replacement? If there is a BETTER option out there around his age and not long in the tooth in free-agency I would go for it but I do not think there is sad to say.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:38 pm

riggofan wrote:Would it make a difference if we change from the 3-4 back to the 4-3? Would it increase Orakpo's value and capability?

According to Cooley, yes. He basically said the 3-4 defense stifled Orakpo (and Kerrigan). He thinks a 4-3 would be better suited for their talents.

Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Would it make a difference if we change from the 3-4 back to the 4-3? Would it increase Orakpo's value and capability?

According to Cooley, yes. He basically said the 3-4 defense stifled Orakpo (and Kerrigan). He thinks a 4-3 would be better suited for their talents.


Rak did pretty well for us in the 43 with his hand in the dirt his rookie season.

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:41 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:I might be thinking crazy here, but to me and even thou I like Rak, I think if he wants the big money it would be time to move on. It is possible that we get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick through a trade or two and draft a diamond in the rough in case Jackson can not step it up. I would sacrifice Rak for a #2 receiver?.



Not crazy. I love Rak too. I always have. But He can be replaced with Rob Jackson and to be successful with a limited amount of draft picks you need to make smart moves in free agency. And throwing a boat-load of money @ Rak might not be the smartest move.
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Jaymo8 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Irn Bru, questions, I brought up Kerrigan and Orakpo in the GM page. Interesting.
1. Is it possible to trade him (or what do you see other teams offering for Orakpo)
2. What are the repercussions of signing him then dealing him.
3. What do these two mean for the locker room?

CKRGiii
Posts: 4788
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:21 am

Countertrey wrote:Rob Jackson is more than servicable... we lose a bit in the pass rush, but gain a much smarter defensive player overall... better in pass coverage.

but , beyond that... 2 words... Brandon Jenkins. This is the reason he was drafted. Lis Franc is healed up... it's time.

Can't let this go unreplied too... I'm excited to see the boy work!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:06 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Would it make a difference if we change from the 3-4 back to the 4-3? Would it increase Orakpo's value and capability?

According to Cooley, yes. He basically said the 3-4 defense stifled Orakpo (and Kerrigan). He thinks a 4-3 would be better suited for their talents.

Mitt when I heard him talking about it yesterday. He said that Kerrigan would be right at home at DE but thought Orakpo would have to keep playing OLB. Cooley just didn't feel their is that big of a deal driving from 34 to 43.

I agree that Orakpo is too small to play DE and would be a SAM I'm a 43. I think Rob Jackson is better suited as a SAM.

We definitely should let Orakpo test the FA market. I don't think his market value will be as big as he thinks it is.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:05 am

I kid you not, during the week leading up to the Giants game, Cooley said how both Kerrigan and Orakpo would be better suited in the 4-3. He was going on and on about how Shanahan's changes didn't suit the players strongest attributes and named those two as examples. Weird how he'd change it around a week later.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:35 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:I kid you not, during the week leading up to the Giants game, Cooley said how both Kerrigan and Orakpo would be better suited in the 4-3. He was going on and on about how Shanahan's changes didn't suit the players strongest attributes and named those two as examples. Weird how he'd change it around a week later.

Maybe he didn't change. Maybe he was thinking Orakpo would be a better SAM or WILL in a 43 our maybe he thought that he would only be used on passing situations. Either way, Orakpo is just too small to play DE in a 43 on an every form basis. Kerrigan could make the transition with ease.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Staten Island

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby PAPDOG67 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm

I just don't see why so many people on here think Orakpo is too small to play the DE in the 4-3 when he is just as big or bigger than guys who currently play the position and excel at it, (Mathis, Ware, Tuck). The guy can bench press a small car and is a workout warrior, I think he can hold his own against offensive tackles in this league.

Hog
Posts: 2481
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Let Orakpo go

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:I just don't see why so many people on here think Orakpo is too small to play the DE in the 4-3 when he is just as big or bigger than guys who currently play the position and excel at it, (Mathis, Ware, Tuck). The guy can bench press a small car and is a workout warrior, I think he can hold his own against offensive tackles in this league.


I think that some like skinsfan#33 is implying that a prototypical DE (every down) should be at least 275 or 280 so he can put up with the punishment of stopping the run as well. I get it. I also think Rak can put on some weight and be that guy. Phillip Daniels said he was Rak's size coming out of school. Bone structure plays a part. Thin bones and too much weight will put him at a disadvantage. He would lose his speed. A happy medium would be to make him a pass rush specialist. I think he did well with his hands in the dirt.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football