Cousins Is Just Better...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Cousins Is Just Better...

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:getting one good player for Cousins does not make sense - we need depth at QB

I doubt that we'll let Cousins go for a draft pick

I know what you're saying, but if a team offered us a #2 this year, you'd at least have to consider it. The decision would be something like do you a) trade Cousins, pick up a #2 and sign or draft another backup QB or b) keep Cousins for another year as the backup and get nothing when he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

I'm not saying that its a likely scenario, but I don't agree that it wouldn't make sense. Kirk Cousins isn't the only guy in the league capable of backing up RGIII. Bring Mike Vick or Josh McCown in if they don't get starting jobs somewhere else. Use that extra #2 or a #3 and draft Derek Carr, AJ McCarron or one of those later round QBs.

I only see five or six teams who *might* be looking for a new starting QB next year. Between the draft and FA, I'm just not sure we're likely to get an offer for Cousins.

swine

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm

To be honest with you and this isn't a knock against Cousins but it would not shock me if Kyle grabs Cousins. That is if he can find work somewhere.
Keeping the Faith in Indy!!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 pm

I see - we get a draft pick that we hope will be an OK back up QB when we already have a good back up QB
we're most likely losing him next season but we'll have had another year knowing we have a good back up

we need Cousins as insurance right now - why not keep Cousins for now and address the QB issue when we know more about RG3

I see it as having a back up QB and not worrying about if the draft pick can be a back up

it's not a bad thing to have 2 good QBs
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we need Cousins as insurance right now - why not keep Cousins for now and address the QB issue when we know more about RG3

Its a totally valid argument, you just lose the opportunity to recoup a draft pick trading Cousins.

swine

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm

I just think the needs out weigh the insurance. I say get Sanchez/Schaub for the league minimum get the value now for Cousins and a draft pick and draft someone on the O Line, secondary or whatever. I am saying this based on the assumption that RGIII will be back to form next year which I am sure he will. If there was any doubts about RGIII I most certainly would never give up Cousins.
Keeping the Faith in Indy!!!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:I just think the needs out weigh the insurance. I say get Sanchez/Schaub for the league minimum get the value now for Cousins and a draft pick and draft someone on the O Line, secondary or whatever. I am saying this based on the assumption that RGIII will be back to form next year which I am sure he will. If there was any doubts about RGIII I most certainly would never give up Cousins.

I'm with you.. stuff happens. Cousins is just as likely to get hurt or continue throwing picks as RGiii is to show the world he has progressed to a top tier qb.
You can't build a team on what ifs tho. I'd prefer we get a safety or lb who is a good special teamed in exchange for Cousins. Unfortunately his stock dropped the last two weeks.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie

Postby oj » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:31 pm

I agree Cousins stock dropped the last 2 weeks, but he has something special about him that we need to keep around. To me he is a proven commodity, we know what we've got and we can rely on him.
I think the qb position is resolved, i am not a huge RG3 believer but he is #1 and Cousins is #2. There are about 50 other guys and coaches that i think need replacing. Trading one of the 'keepers' isn't moving the team forward.
Fun to speculate though.
Molon Labe

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we need Cousins as insurance right now - why not keep Cousins for now and address the QB issue when we know more about RG3

Its a totally valid argument, you just lose the opportunity to recoup a draft pick trading Cousins.

The way I see it, Cousins and Griffen will be free agents very soon. How about we trade Cousins get something for him...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 pm

we will see if the FO thinks having 1 draft pick is worth more than having a good back up QB

that's what it comes down to and I don't see them doing that

I would let Cousins go for a player that can start here before I'd let him go for a draft pick
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we will see if the FO thinks having 1 draft pick is worth more than having a good back up QB

that's what it comes down to and I don't see them doing that

I would let Cousins go for a player that can start here before I'd let him go for a draft pick

That's a good point. I might let him go for a draft pick if it means trading up to get someone you believe in that can start. Oline Oline Oline!!!!!

Please don't use that 2nd rounder on anything else. We have a QB, get that line situated.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:08 am

riggofan wrote:Bring Mike Vick.

That has disaster written all over it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:

lol. Yeah I can sort of agree with that. I actually think Vick has been a stand-up guy in Philadelphia and could be a great backup for RGIII if he had to come in off the bench. My concern would be every time RGIII has a bad game, fans here would be calling for Vick.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 am

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

lol. Yeah I can sort of agree with that. I actually think Vick has been a stand-up guy in Philadelphia and could be a great backup for RGIII if he had to come in off the bench. My concern would be every time RGIII has a bad game, fans here would be calling for Vick.

The real concern is if Griffin gets hurt again, do you really want frail Vick coming in for relief?

We need to keep Cousins. Maybe he works just as hard as Griffin in the offseason to improve.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 am

If both Cousins and RG3 work incredibly hard to improve as NFL QBs, we will be very fortunate

we'll have a great QB with a really good back up QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:The real concern is if Griffin gets hurt again, do you really want frail Vick coming in for relief?

Meh. That's a shaky premise. If that were a legitimate concern, how would Mike Vick EVER be able to make an NFL roster? If RGIII got knocked out of a game, I'd be just as happy to have Vick come off the bench as I would Cousins. Not saying I would want him to be my starter for the year, but he's definitely a guy who can come in and win some games.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football