Next Please!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Re: Next Please!

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 pm

riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote: After that game, Jay Gruden makes me uncomfortable. Their clock management was sluggish as well.

Cincinnati has a lot of talent on their team too...can't blame it on a bad roster.

This stuff is just silly. Dalton threw three terrible picks in a playoff game, and we're all going to say, "Ok scratch JAY GRUDEN off our list of coaching candidates."??? Come on people. The Bengals were 11-5 division winners in the AFC North, ranked THIRD in the NFL in total offense with a pretty average second round pick at QB. They've been to the playoffs for three consecutive years with Dalton. Let's not be stupid about this.

Kilmer72 I was intrigued by the Cowboys ST coach too, just based on some of the comments about him. I'm like you, really want a fiery, inspiring coach that guys want to play for. I could care less if its a "defensive mind" or an "offensive coach".

Thank you! Dalton choking does NOT equal Gruden-bad-coach. There were multiple chokes on the field... I'd be comfortable with Gruden.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote:This stuff is just silly. Dalton threw three terrible picks in a playoff game, and we're all going to say, "Ok scratch JAY GRUDEN off our list of coaching candidates."??? Come on people. The Bengals were 11-5 division winners in the AFC North, ranked THIRD in the NFL in total offense with a pretty average second round pick at QB. They've been to the playoffs for three consecutive years with Dalton. Let's not be stupid about this.

Kilmer72 I was intrigued by the Cowboys ST coach too, just based on some of the comments about him. I'm like you, really want a fiery, inspiring coach that guys want to play for. I could care less if its a "defensive mind" or an "offensive coach".

Thank you! Dalton choking does NOT equal Gruden-bad-coach. There were multiple chokes on the field... I'd be comfortable with Gruden.

..just to add.. Dalton has been up and down all year. When he was up, he was really up and when he was down.. well, you all saw for yourselves. :lol:
I have ZERO problems if Gruden is our next coach.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 pm

I have no problem with a lot of the guys that are being considered

the key here is going to be getting the most out of the players and having accountability for your jobs both as coaches and as players

hopefully the next guy can manage that - he's going to need a pretty thick skin to be able to handle everything that goes on here - this is BS rumor central of the USA

being Head Coach of the Washington Redskins is a high profile job - it might not be as 'attractive' as the Detroit job right now but it will be a lot higher profile if he has success
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm

I have little doubt that Bruce and his team are evaluating coaches based on the whole body of their work and their performance at the interviews. Nobody is getting crossed off the list because their team didn't win one game, or because their quarterback played poorly.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm

^^^ +1 - this FO is going to be very thorough - this is not like anything we've been through here

this is a search for a head coach that will have big ramifications for both the FO and the franchise

everyone involved is on the hot seat and the FO is going to have to answer for anything that they turn up after the fact and should have been checked out ...

this is a huge opportunity for this franchise and I think all these guys are very aware of all that entails
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 pm

countertrey...you have me quoted as saying something I didn't say...all I said was that game didn't help grudens candidacy. and it didn't. in no way did I suggest that we should "scratch gruden off the list of candidates". but a horrible 4th and 3 playcall and a subpar performance against a mediocre charger defense should be noted

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 am

Jeremy81 wrote:countertrey...you have me quoted as saying something I didn't say...all I said was that game didn't help grudens candidacy. and it didn't. in no way did I suggest that we should "scratch gruden off the list of candidates". but a horrible 4th and 3 playcall and a subpar performance against a mediocre charger defense should be noted

OK - it's 'noted' - what does that have to do with his credentials or his resume? - that game did not hurt his candidacy in any way

The guy is being considered for a HC job based on his ability and talent to do that job

btw - the Chargers are not a "mediocre' D

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:countertrey...you have me quoted as saying something I didn't say...all I said was that game didn't help grudens candidacy. and it didn't. in no way did I suggest that we should "scratch gruden off the list of candidates". but a horrible 4th and 3 playcall and a subpar performance against a mediocre charger defense should be noted

OK - it's 'noted' - what does that have to do with his credentials or his resume? - that game did not hurt his candidacy in any way

The guy is being considered for a HC job based on his ability and talent to do that job

The guy is being considered and will interview for FOUR head coaching jobs. That playoff game certainly didn't hurt his profile, and it helped his candidacy more than sitting home after NOT making the playoffs like Jim Caldwell.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

Chargers are 23rd in total years allowed. 29th against the pass, 12 against the run. 13 in points allowed. I'm sorry, you're right. Theyre awesome. Lets just sweep that game under the rug now

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Jeremy81 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Chargers are 23rd in total years allowed. 29th against the pass, 12 against the run. 13 in points allowed. I'm sorry, you're right. Theyre awesome. Lets just sweep that game under the rug now

Either way, the "subpar performance" hardly reflects on Jay Gruden. The Bengals put up 450 yards of offense to the Chargers 300. They were even up 10-7 at the half. They didn't lose because of the play calling. They lost because Dalton had THREE horrible turnovers.

I don't mean to harp on this, but I watched that game and its mind boggling to read your comments. Dalton's INTs were just AWFUL. Maybe enjoy some afternoon reading before you continue to pursue this line of opinion:

"Andy Dalton to Blame for Bengals loss to Chargers"
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1567193

"Cincinnati is too good to let Andy Dalton blow another season"
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/cincinn ... dy-dalton/

"Andy Dalton implodes; Chargers on to divisional round - NFL.com"
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... onal-round

"Andy Dalton flops again as San Diego Chargers rally past Cincinnati ..."

"Andy Dalton fumbles, Chargers recover - San Diego Chargers"

"Andy Dalton's playoff woes continue in loss to Chargers - SB Nation"

"Andy Dalton Meltdown Dooms Bengals - Business Insider"

"Another Bengals playoff flop puts heat on Andy Dalton (0-3) and ..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm

slow down Jeremy - you got 'caught' - grow up

The Chargers are not a great D but the Bengals had not lost a game at home and it is very clear to most of us that their OC is a good candidate for HC

that game does not impact his standing as far as who is available at all - actually it helps because he's now available for interviews

get over it :lol:

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah... my apologies... the chain of quotes got screwed up... I have fixed it.

You're still off base on Gruden, though...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:13 pm

"Jay Gruden, Bengals Game Plan Deserve Blame for Cincinnati's Early Playoff Exit"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1911 ... ayoff-exit

Jay Gruden, your Play Calling is Terrible
http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=1669

"Bengals did not run enough vs. Chargers"
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... s-chargers

"Multiple Chargers tell me Bengals did NOTHING offensively that they hadn't prepared for. No tweaks, no surprises- @AKinkhabwala

"So, did the Bengals run enough against the Chargers on Sunday?

Running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis says "no."

and if it does all fall on andy Dalton....then

Report: Mike Brown liked Kaepernick, Jay Gruden wanted Dalton
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-dalton/

Dalton, Kaepernick and the 2011 NFL draft
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -nfl-draft

"Jay Gruden, the younger brother of former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, seems to be more likely than Zimmer to get the promotion. Still, shouldn’t at least some portion of the failure of Andy Dalton to develop into a franchise quarterback be assigned to his offensive coordinator?-nbc sports"

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:slow down Jeremy - you got 'caught' - grow up

The Chargers are not a great D but the Bengals had not lost a game at home and it is very clear to most of us that their OC is a good candidate for HC

that game does not impact his standing as far as who is available at all - actually it helps because he's now available for interviews

get over it :lol:

what does this mean? I got caught? grow up? no idea what you're talking about...how am I being a child because we disagree?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Jeremy81 wrote: ... all I said was that game didn't help grudens candidacy. and it didn't. in no way did I suggest that we should "scratch gruden off the list of candidates".
but a horrible 4th and 3 play call and a subpar performance against a mediocre charger defense should be noted

WRONG - there is nothing of 'note' to be taken from what Gruden did during this game ...

Jay Gruden has established himself as one of the top candidates for HC job by what he has done over the past few years

this game was only his last game for the Bengals is all ... :lol:

we hear that he's having dinner with Bruce tonight - hopefully he's one of the final 3

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football