Marihuana Stamp Act

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

Marihuana Stamp Act

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Was passage of this law (in 1937) a wise decision? I ask in light of the recent event in Colorado.

After a two-hour committee hearing and a 92-second debate on the house floor, marijuana was de facto criminalized by Congress with passage of The Marihuana Tax Stamp Act of 1937, signed into law by President Roosevelt. A violation of the Tax Stamp Act was a felony with a maximum fine of $2,000 and/or 5 years in prison.

On October 2, 1937, exactly one day after the Marihuana Tax Stamp Act became law, the FBI and Denver police arrested a laborer named Samuel R. Caldwell, age 57, for selling three marijuana cigarettes to a Mexican worker named Moses Baca. FBN Director Harry Anslinger arrived in town for this historic event. Three days later, Baca and Caldwell were indicted and both pled guilty to violating the Marihuana Tax Stamp Act (clearly without legal advice). Baca received an 18 month prison sentence in Leavenworth for possessing a quarter ounce of weed. The sentencing judge's statements are indicative of the swill that the propaganda machines had been churning out: "I consider marijuana the worst of all narcotics, far worse than the use of morphine or cocaine. Under its influence men become beasts. Marijuana destroys life itself. I have no sympathy with those who sell this weed. The government is going to enforce this new law to the letter." Samuel Caldwell was given four years hard labor in Leavenworth and fined $1,000.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Re: Marihuana Stamp Act

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 pm

I recall watching Reefer Madness while in High School... great comedy... terrible acting... Just pathetic propaganda!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Countertrey wrote:I recall watching Reefer Madness while in High School... great comedy... terrible acting... Just pathetic propaganda!

Pathetic propaganda against, maybe. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Countertrey wrote:I recall watching Reefer Madness while in High School... great comedy... terrible acting... Just pathetic propaganda!

Watch the version that RiffTrax put together. Champagne comedy.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:23 pm

I know LPJ is salivating at the possibility of Maryland becoming a "legalized" state for said plant. I think it may take a while for Virginia, unfortunately, to do away with prohibition, because of the less progressive and more religious conservative members south of NOVA. One can still hold out hope.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Return to The Lounge