Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby OldSchool » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:31 pm

I am disappointed with Gruden's statement that Griffin will be the QB and there won't be a competition for the job. So for at least the next season the Redskins are going to be once again a Griffin centric team. I think it is clear that Gruden accepted this strategy as a condition of employment and understands his mission is to find a way to make Griffin thrive to make the Redskins succeed rather than being team centric and insisting that the starting quarterback demonstrate through competition that he possesses the knowledge to drive the offense in addition to athleticism.

I think this approach does a huge disservice to all including Griffin who is being gifted the job rather master the knowledge needed to earn it. Forcing Griffin to compete for the job would motivate Griffin to buckle down and finally start to learn the thinking part of quarterbacking that is essential to real success. It is inexcusable that after 2 years Griffin still doesn't know how to read defenses well enough to shift the protection. This comes from Chris Cooley. Unless Griffin learns to do that he is set up for failure in the pocket because he won't anticipate who is going to be open.

Cousins got picked three times in his recent starts on throws that were a little behind his receivers but it was obvious the OL was providing sufficient protection. The same line that couldn't protect Griffin long enough for him to be effective provided all the protection Cousins needed because Cousins could anticipate which receiver would be open because understood the defense facing him. Until Griffin is forced to get over this knowledge and analytical hurdle he'll continue to try to succeed playing backyard ball against NFL. It worked in 2012 when he was extraordinarily mobile didn't in 2013 when he was a sitting duck.

Like the rest of you I want the Skins to win but unlike most of you I don't have any confidence in this Griffin centric strategy. It is obvious that Snyder has doubled down on Griffin with Gruden pledging that Griffin will not have to compete to earn the job. I don't think it is possible to have real sustained NFL success without refined pocket passing skills and after 2 years Griffin clearly is not progressing towards acquiring them because the precursor to pocket passing success is competently making pre snap reads.

Gruden should have said publicly that of course they'll be competition for the QB job like every other spot and privately told Griffin he had to demonstrate the ability to make correct pre snap reads and call the right protection shifts before he takes the field. If Griffin is as smart and has all the drive we have been told laying down this expectation for him and the other quarterbacks would challenge and motivate Griffin to finally bust his butt to master this QB 101 material.
Last edited by OldSchool on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:29 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Va

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby SKINS#1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm with you OldSchool, if RG3 is gifted the QB position and shows little or no ability to read defenses, I will probably bail on the team until 2015.

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 15879
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:13 pm

What a load of crap! Gruden obviously knows what he's getting, and as with most people, can plainly see that RGIII is the superior QB. You keep repeating this bs that RGIII hasn't done the necessary studying that comes with being an NFL QB. Can you show even one iota of evidence to support your claim?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14325
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Deadskins wrote:What a load of crap! Gruden obviously knows what he's getting, and as with most people, can plainly see that RGIII is the superior QB. You keep repeating this bs that RGIII hasn't done the necessary studying that comes with being an NFL QB. Can you show even one iota of evidence to support your claim?
Well, for proof of Griffin's failings, all you need to do is a search on THN using keyword "OldSchool"... It's all right there for you. :nana:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby Sk1nsfan7 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Im new to the site but I have been following this message board for years and I have finally decided to create an account because I cannot simply take how many of you are so quick to just abandon Rg3. If I recall last year he was a football god. The man tears his Acl, and maybe rushed his return, had a somewhat poor season with awful coaching and now he is the Lebron of football. I just don't get it. How can Redskin fans be so wishy/washy. Kirk is clearly not the Redskins saving grace. Our defense and special teams does not help the cause. And compare Rg3's regular season to Luck's and I'm sure most of you will be surprised...end rant httr

CKRGiii
Posts: 4195
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Sk1nsfan7 wrote:Im new to the site but I have been following this message board for years and I have finally decided to create an account because I cannot simply take how many of you are so quick to just abandon Rg3. If I recall last year he was a football god. The man tears his Acl, and maybe rushed his return, had a somewhat poor season with awful coaching and now he is the Lebron of football. I just don't get it. How can Redskin fans be so wishy/washy. Kirk is clearly not the Redskins saving grace. Our defense and special teams does not help the cause. And compare Rg3's regular season to Luck's and I'm sure most of you will be surprised...end rant httr


Welcome to the site, officially that is! Ftr this is a troll thread and I hate that I'm posting in it... Jus wanted to warn you, using logic, facts, and common sense is waste of effort with the oldone. He is infatuated w cousins, and refuses to look at rgiii or the big picture objectively. Most of us know rgiii is as hard a worker as they come, had a better year then some give him cr for, and progressed as a pocket passer despite the pocket folding like a paper cup every snap. Cheers to a new coach and next year! Rg3 will shut all the haters up, even this one, no doubt in my.mind.

HTTR
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:36 pm

You don't pay a Kings ransom for Robert and quit after 2 years. You don't quit after his injury impacted him...

But people are quitters, so these posts don't shock me. I'm glad Gruden made a choice and we can operate. Griffin needs all the reps to get caught up. An open competition wouldn't benefit either player, you choose one and move forward. An open competition does nothing than pease a fan base that doesn't know diddly squat.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby Sk1nsfan7 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Exactly, what Washington doesn't need is anymore publicity! If Gruden didn't commit to Griffin publicly, the Redskins would be the most talked about team on ESPN. He has to commit to the franchise QB! I really want them to trade Kirk so this drama can be over with.

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby OldSchool » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:What a load of crap! Gruden obviously knows what he's getting, and as with most people, can plainly see that RGIII is the superior QB. You keep repeating this bs that RGIII hasn't done the necessary studying that comes with being an NFL QB. Can you show even one iota of evidence to support your claim?


Do you believe Cooley knows what what he is talking about? Read what Cooley says here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... han-rgiii/

He talks about some of Griffin's problems in that article and he mentioned the 4 time the defense used a zone blitz to free up a man to sack Griffin. Each time Griffin didn't shift the protection so one of the Redskin linemen was lift with no one to block resulting in a free man sacking Griffin. Later they tried that when Cousins was in and he made the read and shifted the protection.

I have read other breakdowns by Chris C. that he flatly states that Griffin doesn't know how to make pre snap reads so is unable to anticipate which receiver will get open against the coverage.

Put down the Griffin koolaid and absorb this information and then decide if Griffin has put in the work to learn how to read defenses.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby OldSchool » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Sk1nsfan7 wrote:Im new to the site but I have been following this message board for years and I have finally decided to create an account because I cannot simply take how many of you are so quick to just abandon Rg3. If I recall last year he was a football god. The man tears his Acl, and maybe rushed his return, had a somewhat poor season with awful coaching and now he is the Lebron of football. I just don't get it. How can Redskin fans be so wishy/washy. Kirk is clearly not the Redskins saving grace. Our defense and special teams does not help the cause. And compare Rg3's regular season to Luck's and I'm sure most of you will be surprised...end rant httr


Welcome to the site, officially that is! Ftr this is a troll thread and I hate that I'm posting in it... Jus wanted to warn you, using logic, facts, and common sense is waste of effort with the oldone. He is infatuated w cousins, and refuses to look at rgiii or the big picture objectively. Most of us know rgiii is as hard a worker as they come, had a better year then some give him cr for, and progressed as a pocket passer despite the pocket folding like a paper cup every snap. Cheers to a new coach and next year! Rg3 will shut all the haters up, even this one, no doubt in my.mind.

HTTR


You're one of the Rg3Bots who is absolutely blind to the obvious that Griffin is merely a project at this point not an NFL QB and you become angry when anyone comments on Griffin's serious flaws and lack of progress learning the mental part of the game. Being unable to make a pre snap defensive read adjust the offense in his second is inexcusable and is the major reason Griffin took such a pounding. Wake up and see the obvious.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Old school you are a new member so I dont know you well. But to me it seems like your venting.

But your thoughts seem off to me. RG3 is a supremely talented player who took us to the playoffs one year ago. We all know about the injury. Which is a huge reason why I think Shanahan is gone today. That descision to continue to let RG3 play while he was hobbled was clearly the wrong one as we know today.

Just think about it. After the Ravens game it was clear RG3 was not healthy.

Now fast forward to this year when Aaron Rogers got hurt. Green Bay took no chances and sat him for six games. All this negative talk would not be here if RG3 were healthy.

I am sorry that Shanahan had to be fired and things went they way they did. But ultimatley Shanahan was the head coach and he was ultimatley responsible for what transpired this year.

To put it all on RG3 an 25 year old kid who is becoming a man is just not right. Peyton Manning was bearly coming into his own at this stage of his career.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby OldSchool » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Old school you are a new member so I dont know you well. But to me it seems like your venting.

But your thoughts seem off to me. RG3 is a supremely talented player who took us to the playoffs one year ago. We all know about the injury. Which is a huge reason why I think Shanahan is gone today. That descision to continue to let RG3 play while he was hobbled was clearly the wrong one as we know today.

Just think about it. After the Ravens game it was clear RG3 was not healthy.

Now fast forward to this year when Aaron Rogers got hurt. Green Bay took no chances and sat him for six games. All this negative talk would not be here if RG3 were healthy.

I am sorry that Shanahan had to be fired and things went they way they did. But ultimatley Shanahan was the head coach and he was ultimatley responsible for what transpired this year.

To put it all on RG3 an 25 year old kid who is becoming a man is just not right. Peyton Manning was bearly coming into his own at this stage of his career.


I agree with you that Griffin should've been sat down after he was injured in the Baltimore game but do you remember how Griffin behaved after the Cleveland game that Cousins played? Griffin sulked and said he could've and should've played. He whined about it publicly for a couple days before saying it gave him a few days to heal, I suspect someone told him change his tune. I was surprised by this behavior I had bought into the All America Boy PR about him. After Cousins performed well the smart thing to do would've been to have Cousins start and give Griffin more rest but I think Griffin demanded to go back on the field perhaps with having Snyder intervene with the coach. I put the Injury squarely on Griffin.
In your world is this young millionaire responsible for anything? In your opinion Griffin isn't responsible for repeatedly assuring his coach he was healthy enough to play? Probably not, and we know Griffin didn't take responsibility for deceiving his coach, he threw his coach under the bus after the game.

Is Griffin responsible for not being able to read defenses after two years? What is he responsible for?
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 pm

OldSchool wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Old school you are a new member so I dont know you well. But to me it seems like your venting.

But your thoughts seem off to me. RG3 is a supremely talented player who took us to the playoffs one year ago. We all know about the injury. Which is a huge reason why I think Shanahan is gone today. That descision to continue to let RG3 play while he was hobbled was clearly the wrong one as we know today.

Just think about it. After the Ravens game it was clear RG3 was not healthy.

Now fast forward to this year when Aaron Rogers got hurt. Green Bay took no chances and sat him for six games. All this negative talk would not be here if RG3 were healthy.

I am sorry that Shanahan had to be fired and things went they way they did. But ultimatley Shanahan was the head coach and he was ultimatley responsible for what transpired this year.

To put it all on RG3 an 25 year old kid who is becoming a man is just not right. Peyton Manning was bearly coming into his own at this stage of his career.


I agree with you that Griffin should've been sat down after he was injured in the Baltimore game but do you remember how Griffin behaved after the Cleveland game that Cousins played? Griffin sulked and said he could've and should've played. He whined about it publicly for a couple days before saying it gave him a few days to heal, I suspect someone told him change his tune. I was surprised by this behavior I had bought into the All America Boy PR about him. After Cousins performed well the smart thing to do would've been to have Cousins start and give Griffin more rest but I think Griffin demanded to go back on the field perhaps with having Snyder intervene with the coach. I put the Injury squarely on Griffin.
In your world is this young millionaire responsible for anything? In your opinion Griffin isn't responsible for repeatedly assuring his coach he was healthy enough to play? Probably not, and we know Griffin didn't take responsibility for deceiving his coach, he threw his coach under the bus after the game.

Is Griffin responsible for not being able to read defenses after two years? What is he responsible for?


Of course Griffin is responsible as well. But heres the thing.

Shanahan was supposed to be the wiser of the two. Shanahan is the one with years of experience. Even if your player is whining. He has to be able to make the tough descision. That is why we have authorities who are supposed to know better and make the right calls.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 pm

On the same note Aaron Rogers complained and wanted to play. Did the Green Bay Coach Mcarthy let him play? Did the Doctors clear him? No they didnt because they were smart.

Now compare that to what happened last year to our team. You can see a clear difference between the two upper management and staff.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Still Griffin Centric Team Going Forward..

Postby hanburgerheel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Griffin will dig his own grave fast enough if he's not NFL-worthy. I suspect he digs it fairly quick. If he manages to prove he is worthy, then great. After the last 3 games, Cousins is no threat to any NFL defenses either. Personally, I don't think Griffin is going to be the QB that makes this team succeed. He cost WAY more than he was worth, but he sold a lot of merchandise, so Dan is thrilled by that. Make no mistake, Snyder's main concern is turning a profit. Griffin has some potential, but my gut feeling says that in 5-7 years he will be a backup or be out of the league entirely due to injury. Cooley's comments were spot-on and the way he showed his weaknesses this past season made me abundantly aware he was a liability. I knew when they picked him, and gave up so much for him, that it was a long shot. To consistently succeed in the NFL you are much better off with a QB like Andrew Luck than Robert Griffin. Russell Wilson is more like Luck than he is Griffin. Of all the QB's available in the draft when they took RG3, they took the worst one. And they paid heavily and will continue to pay.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football