What offense to run?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: What offense to run?

Postby jmooney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 pm

And from what I can tell from where I'm sitting. Both Gruden and Turner have similar styles. This could be a beautiful thing.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

jmooney wrote:One thing that I find interesting is that Bobby Turner is still here. Now , he was a Shannahan guy but, retained his position when the others were let go. I'm excited about this because IMO he IS the best in the league and critical to Alfred's development. That being said, the Gruden passing offense may carry over from Cincy but, we still could see a similar run game to what we've had here the past few years. I'm ok with that.

Has Turner been 'officially' kept on board?

I think it's a mistake to look at what coaches did elsewhere as being what they will do here

I do think these guys will tailor the offense (maybe WCO) they like, but they will 'adapt' to suit the players they have

we have 2 very good RBs in Morris and Young - they will be used to run the ball
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:15 pm

He's still listed as the RB coach on the official website and was never announced as terminated. If I were a young coach walking into my first HC job and Bobby Turner was still on payroll, aint no way I'm letting that man get out the door.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Just asking if he was officially on the team yet - you never can tell what's really happening with this franchise :twisted:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:36 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:I think the offense we have already was fine. Just need Griff to get fully healthy and shore up the offensive line. We have Alf and a solid running game. Pass protection needs to improve. Either we draft or grab a free agent tackle/guard. Not too much needs to be added to the offense.
As far as Griff goes I expect to see a vengence year coming.

G'day HH - I think that RG3 is going to surprise a lot of us because of what he will get done on his own part this offseason and also with the new offensive scheme

I would be very surprised if there are not a lot of changes scheme wise and with the O line blocking, especially pass protection ...

I am not suggesting that Kyle was a bad OC but I think that these new guys will re-invent the wheel here and take advantage of what they have with RG3, Morris, Garcon, Reed and T Williams but also add a lot more players and plays that have more of the WCO plays in there

we may need 1 WR to complement Garcon but the O line will definitely need changing and we must have quality depth

Well you are probably right with a new coach we might have alot of changes. But Gruden and the Shanahans come from the same coaching tree West coast offense Bill Walsh. Which is another good reason why I think its a good hire.
I dont think the offense will be totally new for RG3.

If any changes are made I want a more physically imposing Oline. Like days of old. The Hogs. We have one in T Williams and I do think we could add some road grading guards and another tackle.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:34 pm

I've said this before, but I think we'll still see the RO and a mixture of other things. I like that; will keep defenses guessing about what we'll bring to them.

So far, that's been my favorite thing about Gruden's presser; he's willing to try and do anything that the team does well. We didn't have that when Shanny was here...instant upgrade!
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 am

my guess is that he'll get bigger linemen, stop zone running, and run a more modern NFL offense with designed keeps and options mixed in.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 pm

brad7686 wrote:my guess is that he'll get bigger linemen, stop zone running, and run a more modern NFL offense with designed keeps and options mixed in.

Is that a guess or more of a want? I agree with you and I want a bigger offensive line as well. :D
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Speaking as one of the oldest here, I insist that Robert Griffin should not run much of the option. He has a good arm, and he's mobile. Let him uses his speed and agility to avoid being crushed. The option? Works well in college games, which are decided by recruiting. Not so well in the NFL where defensive players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Examples of "college success / NFL failure"? Rich Mirer, Steve Spurrier (QB and coach).

Counter examples? How often did Sonny Jurgensen or Johnny Unitas run the ball?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am

welch wrote:Speaking as one of the oldest here, I insist that Robert Griffin should not run much of the option. He has a good arm, and he's mobile. Let him uses his speed and agility to avoid being crushed. The option? Works well in college games, which are decided by recruiting. Not so well in the NFL where defensive players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Examples of "college success / NFL failure"? Rich Mirer, Steve Spurrier (QB and coach).

+1 - agreed
I really think that our 'new' offense and the NFL in general will not see much of the read option after the officials clarified last season how a QB could be HIT as a RB
with the Redskins, 49ers and Seahawks we've already seen this in 2013

the thing to do with these QBs now is to have that option as part of the offense but not use it much - the hits put the QB at risk of injury and also it affects his play

we will see a much more 'developed' QB in RG3 this season and he will still have the speed that can be used when needed

this new 'regime' will take a lot more advantage of the players they have than the previous guys
Mike & Kyle thought the players should do what they wanted not what the players were best suited for ....

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 pm

welch wrote:Speaking as one of the oldest here, I insist that Robert Griffin should not run much of the option. He has a good arm, and he's mobile. Let him uses his speed and agility to avoid being crushed. The option? Works well in college games, which are decided by recruiting. Not so well in the NFL where defensive players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Examples of "college success / NFL failure"? Rich Mirer, Steve Spurrier (QB and coach).

Be fair... it's only an honest example if they could have run the 40 in under half an hour... Both of them HAD to be highly efficient passers... or they were dead. [-X A better example would probably be Warren Moon... who was mobile as hell... but was very prolific in the pocket.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

swine

Postby masterkwon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Eric Decker is not coming to Washington. Come on!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Apparently, Gruden and Kyle Shanahan run offenses so similar that Kyle used tape of the Bengals to introduce new packages and how they should be run.

Saturday's Post.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Apparently, Gruden and Kyle Shanahan run offenses so similar that Kyle used tape of the Bengals to introduce new packages and how they should be run.

Saturday's Post.

Nice. One difference I read about that I liked was Kyle's offense scored a TD in the red zone 52% of the time. Gruden's offense scored a TD 74% of the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm

EA7649 wrote:Gruden's the new coach. But what will he do as the coach or tell the offensive coordinator to run?

The Redskins will run an offense that takes full advantage of all the talents of all the players they have here ...

RG3 is of course the key - I'm sure that we will be adding some other pieces and some linemen to execute whatever offensive plan that Jay Gruden feels will work best ..

gotta love the idea that we're going to be a lot better offense

this is something that we Redskins fans are really good at - looking to the future and hoping it all works out this time ....

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football