Alternative Name For The Team...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Alternative Name For The Team...

Postby OldSchool » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:21 am

I am very skeptical about the need to change the name of the team. I doubt many American Indians find the name offensive but Snyder should visit some tribes and talk with them. I think common decency requires taking the concerns expressed by the DC Native American advocacy group serious by reaching out to many tribes to assess their feelings.

I am not an expert but a tribe was headquartered in my home town so I grew up and went to school with Native Americans. I don't claim to have any real insight into how members of that tribe or others feel about the name but I do think my classmates were really grounded and easy going people and from what I saw of the adult members of the tribe were like that as well. I would guess more members would like the name than dislike it but the biggest portion wouldn't care at all. I think it would be not only the right thing to do but the smart thing as well.

If he does decide the Redskin name has to go I think I have a great alternative that the fans could embrace. I think the Redskin name was chosen because people associate strength, courage and unity with American Indians. We have some people in the community, across the country and around the world that we revere for their courage, selflessness, strength and loyalty, I am speaking of course of the Armed Forces of the United States. This community is where our war fighters are headquartered so I the a great new name would be the Washington Warriors!

I envision a new red, white and blue uniforms with a blue helmet with 50 small faint white stars spread out over the helmet and a gold or bronze outline of the Pentagon on the side of the helmet. A red jersey with white pants with a red stripe .

Like I said I don't want the team to change the name unless they visit and talk to a number of tribes and validate that there is indeed real concern about the name and this isn't just an issue a DC advocacy group decided would make a good topic for a grievance. If there really is hurt and anger because of the Redskin name than I think honoring our armed forces would be a good idea that the community could embrace.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

Hog

Re: Alternative Name For The Team...

Postby Snout » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:24 am

My suggestions:

1. The Washington Resistance
2. The Washington Revolutionaries
3. The Washington Cloak and Dagger

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 am

Snout wrote:My suggestions:

1. The Washington Resistance
2. The Washington Revolutionaries
3. The Washington Cloak and Dagger

The Washington Gridlock
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:17 pm

"The Nations Team"

Actually that is a little bit of a joke. A jab at the Cowgirl and a tie to the Nats.

I like the Warriors, with the new color scheme. But my personal choice, if forces, just change the name back to the team's original name; the Braves!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:36 pm

A few things that make Warriors work.

Alliteration.

Using Warriors and not having it be about Indians. If we tried Warriors but kept the logo there would be even more upoar.

George Michael tried to give this tee shirt away once during the height of an object-to-the-name cycle (SMH):

I'd like keep the logo and change to Braves - IF we are going to change.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:38 pm

I doubt the PC crowd will ever effect this name change BS on the Redskins ... there is too much support to keep the name that we do not hear from

I would have no issue with the Washington Braves - then you keep all the words in the fight song to piss off the PC crowd after every score :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I doubt the PC crowd will ever effect this name change BS on the Redskins ... there is too much support to keep the name that we do not hear from

I would have no issue with the Washington Braves - then you keep all the words in the fight song to piss off the PC crowd after every score :lol:

+1 I'm with you. If it had to change I could live with Braves. At least I would hope it wouldn't be something I consider to be stupid like Wizards.

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:39 pm

I like the Braves also but I think any Native American reference would be problematic and the object of attack. Florida State and Central Michigan have been subject criticism for being the Seminoles and Chippewas even when these schools have the permission of these local tribes.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:52 pm

OldSchool wrote:I like the Braves also but I think any Native American reference would be problematic and the object of attack. Florida State and Central Michigan have been subject criticism for being the Seminoles and Chippewas even when these schools have the permission of these local tribes.

They don't face nearly the same kind of pressure the Skins do, though.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Alliteration.

Using Warriors and not having it be about Indians. If we tried Warriors but kept the logo there would be even more upoar.

I disagree. Right now our (dignified, great) logo is one of the saving graces of the current controversy. If we kept it and called the team the Braves, that would be the least worst change (i.e., the best change), IMHO. No one could realistically call the team name/logo racist at that point, and attention would swing much more toward other teams like the Cleveland Indians.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 pm

OldSchool wrote:I like the Braves also but I think any Native American reference would be problematic and the object of attack. Florida State and Central Michigan have been subject criticism for being the Seminoles and Chippewas even when these schools have the permission of these local tribes.

Your probably right, I would have to say then pick on the Chiefs, Indians and anything that has a remote possibility of racial discrimination.(Vikings etc...) If we picked the Penelope Pitstop's they would have a problem. It isn't about the racial slur that isn't so. It is about making a political name for a small group. I understand it it. I have posted this before in another thread. A friend of mine, a full blooded American Indian, told me this when I asked if he was offended by the name. He said it wasn't about that. I wont go into detail. Just understand there are agendas.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

I disagree. Right now our (dignified, great) logo is one of the saving graces of the current controversy. If we kept it and called the team the Braves, that would be the least worst change (i.e., the best change), IMHO. No one could realistically call the team name/logo racist at that point, and attention would swing much more toward other teams like the Cleveland Indians.

Agreed. Nobody could call the logo racist or insulting in any way. Warriors would work. Braves would work.

Although, after this season, I'm starting to think the Washington Tumbleweeds would be appropriate.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:19 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Nobody could call the logo racist or insulting in any way.

I don't think they can now. Not if they know its history, anyway.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

You are disagreeing with this: ?

Keeping the logo and changing the name to the Warriors would increase the uproar.

Just trying to clarify.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:23 pm

The Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves have taken some guff for their names, I don't know about the KC Chiefs. I like the teams being name after American Indians and while I don't know for sure I think the majority of Indians like these nick names also but there is a hardcore element that objects to the whole Indian name thing and are so invested in victimhood ideology that removing the Redskin reference to skin color or red war paint isn't going to be enough to satisfy these extremists or stop the grievance industry from carping. Which is why Washington Warriors in honor of our arm services would make almost everyone happy, the military is the only thing universally liked about this town.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football