Alternative Name For The Team...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Alternative Name For The Team...

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Alliteration.

Using Warriors and not having it be about Indians. If we tried Warriors but kept the logo there would be even more upoar.

I disagree. Right now our (dignified, great) logo is one of the saving graces of the current controversy. If we kept it and called the team the Braves, that would be the least worst change (i.e., the best change), IMHO. No one could realistically call the team name/logo racist at that point, and attention would swing much more toward other teams like the Cleveland Indians.

Agreed. Nobody could call the logo racist or insulting in any way. Warriors would work. Braves would work.

Although, after this season, I'm starting to think the Washington Tumbleweeds would be appropriate.

I disagree with the Warriors and same logo not being interpreted by many, if not more, as insulting. The opponents would be talking about violence in addition to racism.

I could be wrong.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 pm

To clarify. I am not talking about the logo being considered racist. I'm talking about the name Warriors with the current logo vs. the name Warriors with Oldschool's military logo/theme.

The name Warriors would certainly draw ire (from mostly the same people objecting to Redskins now) with our current logo - ire that the name Warriors would not draw if it referenced the military as Oldschool is suggesting. The Redskin objectors would have won their fight and would be done with it.

OldSchool wrote: - snip -We have some people in the community, across the country and around the world that we revere for their courage, selflessness, strength and loyalty, I am speaking of course of the Armed Forces of the United States. This community is where our war fighters are headquartered so I the a great new name would be the Washington Warriors!

I envision a new red, white and blue uniforms with a blue helmet with 50 small faint white stars spread out over the helmet and a gold or bronze outline of the Pentagon on the side of the helmet. A red jersey with white pants with a red stripe .

This is one of the reasons Warriors works. If anyone out there wants to submit that simply changing Redskins to Warriors and retaining everything else would quiet the objections ... well ... SMH.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:05 pm

No.

In my 32 years in the military... I never heard a soldier, marine or sailor describe themselves as "warrior"...

Done.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:15 pm

^^ I think we are clear now.

Redskins first.

Braves second.

Haven't heard a third I can embrace.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 am

I find it reprehensible that pejoration has occluded the origin of the name and led small minded peoples to assume it offensive. My suggestion: The Washington Algoncin-Delaware Redskins, Washington Redskins for short. This Clarifies thus obviating any mistaken offense, allows retailing to continue with current name and logo, and offers new marketing opportunities with "extended name" gear.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Countertrey wrote:No.

In my 32 years in the military... I never heard a soldier, marine or sailor describe themselves as "warrior"...

Done.

First, thank you for your service. I worked with the military for years and they were referred to as war fighters was frequently used but I agree with you I haven't heard them refer to themselves as warriors. When I thought of the team's named being associated with our military I thought it made sense because we associate the military with courage, strength and teamwork and it is the local industry.

I think war fighters would not work for several reasons but warriors would. The Washington Defenders would also work but I think of lawyers with that name.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Someone posted a message on a forum not long ago, that caught a lot of attention ... I must paraphrase, as I don't recall the exact wording ... but it went something like this:

Breaking News - The Washington Redskins Have Agreed To Change Names

Due to the ongoing controversy regarding the Washington Redskins team name, which some consider racist and offensive, the team has agreed to change its name. As you may be aware, the name, Washington Redskins has generated a lot of legal battles for years. Groups find the name offensive, insensitive, racist, and undignified. The name also conjurs unflattering images, irresponsibility, and a rejection of good behavior, and decent moral standards.

Therefore, it has been decided, that beginning in the upcoming 2014 Football season, the team will abandon the offensive name, and start using the name ... The Redskins.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 am

DarthMonk wrote:^^ I think we are clear now.

Redskins first.

Braves second.

Haven't heard a third I can embrace.

Amen
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 am

Arrows. They could use the vintage logo and keep the colors and Native American imagery.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Alliteration.

Using Warriors and not having it be about Indians. If we tried Warriors but kept the logo there would be even more upoar.

I disagree. Right now our (dignified, great) logo is one of the saving graces of the current controversy. If we kept it and called the team the Braves, that would be the least worst change (i.e., the best change), IMHO. No one could realistically call the team name/logo racist at that point, and attention would swing much more toward other teams like the Cleveland Indians.

You are disagreeing with this: ?

Keeping the logo and changing the name to the Warriors would increase the uproar.

Just trying to clarify.

Correct. I think the uproar has been over the term "Redskins" in particular. Even Warriors + our logo wouldn't cause as much controversy, IMO.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I think the uproar has been over the term "Redskins" in particular.

I agree, as far as the "uproar" outside the Indian community is concerned. But I disagree that those who are protesting amongst the Indian community, would be assuaged by a name change only. I think their true complaint is against Indians being used as mascots, period.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 am

Please, not "Braves"
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:24 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Please, not "Braves"

You'd prefer Nationals, I suppose? :P
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:15 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Please, not "Braves"

The name is not changing - however, the fight song, 'Hail to the Redskins', would be the same with "Braves"

there are many people in favor of the change but there is a much larger, 'silent majority' that are not
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Washington Braves sound dumb. Warriors obviously makes the most sense.

As for that song, once "Redskins" name is gone.. it is no longer "our" song.

I personally don't know anyone who would sing "Hail to the Warriors (or Braves)"
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football