Sean McVay is the OC

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Sean McVay is the OC

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Redskins promote Sean McVay to offensive coordinator

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
January 14, 2014 6:26 pm ET

McVay was a holdover from the Mike Shanahan staff where he spent the past three seasons as Washington's tight ends coach. La Canfora notes that Gruden liked McVay from the beginning and tabbed him as the coordinator early in the process.

La Canfora also writes that Gruden will keep defensive coordinator Jim Haslett on staff and most likely in the same role as before. Since former Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris, who has an expiring contract, was told he would not be the defensive coordinator, he's exploring his options with other teams.

La Canfora writes, "Gruden is also high on Bengals linebackers coach Paul Guenther, but he is well positioned to join Bengals coordinator Mike Zimmer in Minnesota if he gets that head coaching job as expected, while the Bengals also badly want to retain Guenther as their coordinator should Zimmer leave.

Interesting.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Re: Sean McVay is the OC

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Since Gruden will be calling the plays ... etc. ... I wonder what McVay's duties will be exactly. Gibbs had an OC named Don Breaux. I wonder if the relationship will be similar.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Sean's primary job will be to add to the offense and he brings a familiarity with the players ... this is a great partnership as a really good OC would have been "in the way"

I have no problem with Haslett staying - it's not because he's so great but more because of the fact that he's here & there were no DCs these guys wanted instead
Has gets a year - we'll be fine, he steps it up or we bring in someone else - Raheem should stay - could be a good job for him next season ...
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 am

DarthMonk wrote:Since Gruden will be calling the plays ... etc. ... I wonder what McVay's duties will be exactly. Gibbs had an OC named Don Breaux. I wonder if the relationship will be similar.

I would imagine he would be focused on designing plays and the offensive gameplans. I've only heard great opinions of him as an up and coming offensive mind. I know Chris Cooley could not stop raving about him. Jordan Reed's fantasy value just got a little higher.

I'm looking forward to learning more about him. Does anyone know any good links? I read he was the grandson of John McVay, the former GM for the Bill Walsh 49ers.
"Givin'em the Business!"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 am

44diesel wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Since Gruden will be calling the plays ... etc. ... I wonder what McVay's duties will be exactly. Gibbs had an OC named Don Breaux. I wonder if the relationship will be similar.

I would imagine he would be focused on designing plays and the offensive gameplans. I've only heard great opinions of him as an up and coming offensive mind. I know Chris Cooley could not stop raving about him. Jordan Reed's fantasy value just got a little higher.

I'm looking forward to learning more about him. Does anyone know any good links? I read he was the grandson of John McVay, the former GM for the Bill Walsh 49ers.

I want to know more about how the Gruden/McVay relationship will work. I'm thinking McVay will do less designing of plays and more putting together game plans. Gruden already has a playbook. I'm thinking McVay will be helping him choose a plan each week and then implementing it in practice while Gruden oversees all during the week and then decides which plays to choose at specific moments during a game from that plan. I am looking at stuff I can find from the Gibbs/Breaux arrangement to try and gain insight. If Gruden is ever a guest on The Drive I'm gonna do my darnest to get on and ask. Here's something I found concerning the Gibbs/Breaux arrangement:

The Redskins won Super Bowls after the 1982, 1987 and 1991 seasons. They won championships with three different quarterbacks and three different running backs, but the coaching staff remained mostly intact.

Breaux oversaw the running backs and served as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach during his time in Washington, helping the likes of Joe Washington, Earnest Byner and John Riggins to places in the Pro Bowl, and helping make Timmy Smith one of the more unlikely Super Bowl heroes ever with a record 204-yard rushing performance in Super Bowl XXII. With the Panthers, Breaux was the tight ends coach and helped the franchise's best tight end, Wesley Walls, make it to five Pro Bowls.

"Don was very instrumental in those Super Bowls," Gibbs says. "He is so gifted as far as crafting a game plan."

The Gibbs' way of operating was different than others. Gibbs called all the offensive plays, but during the week, game planning involved the entire offensive coaching staff. As opposed to having the various units — receivers, offensive line and running backs — separate, Gibbs kept them all together, all the coaches giving input into the game plan.

Breaux was always the one standing next to Gibbs on the sidelines.

"If Don told me to run a certain play, I ran it," Gibbs says. "He was always on the sidelines with me, calling the game."

I think the operative word in McVay's job will be "coordinator." Gruden will be responsible for the offense on game day but McVay will coordinate things during the week among the position coaches and the players while implementing game plan.

I want to ask Gruden directly.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 am

This is how ESPN described it:

Gruden has said he wants to call plays, so McVay's primary task could be to mostly help formulate the game plan and run meetings when Gruden is unavailable.
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... mes-new-oc

I know some people have questioned the wisdom of this arrangement, but I noticed Whisenhunt announced the same thing in the past few days with the Titans.

Even so, anybody want to take some bets on how quickly this becomes the new "Kyle Shanahan/Nepotism" fan complaint? hah. I predict by November 2014 "Gruden should not be calling the plays" will be the post game rally cry after any loss. Unless of course Haslett stays on as defensive coordinator. In which case, "Fire Haslett" will continue to be the cure all demand for the entire season.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Only if we're losing.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Deadskins wrote:Only if we're losing.

we're not losing any more games ... :twisted:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:46 pm

First person who picks 16-0 in next season's prediction thread gets the gas face.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Here's an article on Redskins.com about McVay: http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... 5_17096814

After being hired by the Redskins as an offensive assistant in 2010, McVay spent the last three seasons as the team’s tight ends coach, helping the unit account for 222 receptions for 2,704 yards across the 2011-13 seasons.
Last year, McVay was instrumental in the development of rookie tight end Jordan Reed, who compiled 45 receptions for 499 yards – both Redskins’ single-season rookie tight end records – despite Reed playing in only nine games.

Under McVay’s tutelage, Reed joined Chris Cooley (2004) as the only Redskins tight ends named to the PFWA All-Rookie Team.
Reed’s 5.0 receptions per game in 2013 and tight end Fred Davis’ 4.9 receptions per game in 2011 under McVay rank second- and third-most, respectively, in team history for receptions per game by a tight end in a single season.

I too am curious how Gruden and McVay will work together. Darth, you bring up some good points. I assume Gruden will ease McVay into his position with Sean taking on more responsibility over time. I like that these two already have a history together.

McVay entered the NFL as a coaching assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2008, when he served on the same staff as current Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden.
In addition, McVay served as tight ends coach for the UFL’s Florida Tuskers in 2009 when Gruden was the team’s offensive coordinator.

McVAY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2004-07: Wide Receiver, Miami University

2008: Coaching Assistant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2009: Tight Ends Coach, Florida Tuskers (UFL)

2010: Offensive Assistant, Washington Redskins

2011-13: Tight Ends Coach, Washington Redskins

2014: Offensive Coordinator, Washington Redskins
"Givin'em the Business!"

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:11 pm

riggofan wrote:First person who picks 16-0 in next season's prediction thread gets the gas face.

Good thing I will be predicting 19-0!!!! :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Sean McVay - C - Redskins

Redskins promoted TEs coach Sean McVay to offensive coordinator.

Only 27 years old, McVay spent the past three seasons as the Redskins' tight ends coach. It's a risky hire considering McVay is younger than some of the players he'll be coaching, but new coach Jay Gruden has already said he'll call plays next season. That will allow McVay to ease into the job. Former Redskins TE Chris C00ley recently praised McVay to ESPN. "He had the highest understanding of an offense of any position coach I’ve ever been around," C00ley said. "Two years ago I said if anyone becomes a head coach on this staff it would be Sean McVay." McVay is an unknown, outside-the-box hire for a team that played things safe at head coach.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter Jan 14 - 6:07 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

riggofan wrote:First person who picks 16-0 in next season's prediction thread gets the gas face.

Queue LPJ... :mrgreen:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:03 am

McVey is Gruden's boy....... from many years of working together.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 am

tribeofjudah wrote:McVey is Gruden's boy....... from many years of working together.

actually, it's McVay and where did these "many years of working together" happen? :twisted:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football