What offense to run?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: What offense to run?

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 am

"Five things the Redskins can learn from the conference title games"

I thought this was a really good post from Rich Tandler today, especially this comment:

5. A mobile QB doesn’t have to run—Colin Kaepernick was the 49ers offense. He passed for 153 yards and ran for 130, accounting for 92 percent of San Francisco’s total yards. Russell Wilson netted zero yards rushing but he kept pass plays alive with his legs over and over. It might be better for the Redskins to use Griffin more like the Seahawks used Wilson than modeling him after Kaepernick.

http://realredskins.com/2014/01/20/need ... tle-games/

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:07 am

riggofan wrote:"Five things the Redskins can learn from the conference title games"

I thought this was a really good post from Rich Tandler today, especially this comment:

5. A mobile QB doesn’t have to run—Colin Kaepernick was the 49ers offense. He passed for 153 yards and ran for 130, accounting for 92 percent of San Francisco’s total yards. Russell Wilson netted zero yards rushing but he kept pass plays alive with his legs over and over. It might be better for the Redskins to use Griffin more like the Seahawks used Wilson than modeling him after Kaepernick.

They modeled Kaepernick after Griffin, not vice versa. And, Wilson will run if he thinks the yardage is there and nothing is open downfield. He was just up against a disciplined D last night, that rarely left him room to run.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

Deadskins wrote:They modeled Kaepernick after Griffin, not vice versa. And, Wilson will run if he thinks the yardage is there and nothing is open downfield. He was just up against a disciplined D last night, that rarely left him room to run.

Yeah I thought the interesting part of his comment though was more about allowing the QB to be mobile without those designed running plays that Kaepernick was running.

People have been posting on here all season long that RGIII can't succeed because he can't be a pocket passer. I have no idea if that is true or not about RGIII in the pocket, but Russell Wilson just made it to the Super Bowl using his arm AND his legs pretty well.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 am

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:They modeled Kaepernick after Griffin, not vice versa. And, Wilson will run if he thinks the yardage is there and nothing is open downfield. He was just up against a disciplined D last night, that rarely left him room to run.

Yeah I thought the interesting part of his comment though was more about allowing the QB to be mobile without those designed running plays that Kaepernick was running.

People have been posting on here all season long that RGIII can't succeed because he can't be a pocket passer. I have no idea if that is true or not about RGIII in the pocket, but Russell Wilson just made it to the Super Bowl using his arm AND his legs pretty well.

It does not refute the argument about Griffin's problems operating from the pocket... the bottom line is, Russell Wilson has that skill set. He comes from a pro style offense, and only uses his legs to survive when the pocket fails. That is, ultimately, where Griffin needs to be... and, based upon his statements, it is where he WANTS to be.
I think he'll get there... and much of it will happen this coming year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby OldSchool » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:59 pm

What offense to run? If you start with the given the QB job is not going to be competed than what to run comes down to what Griffin is able and willing to do, in 2013 that wasn't much. In 2014 hopefully Griffin will have two healthy legs and be a challenge for defenses to contain and his accuracy will return. If that is the case I think they should run a variant of the WCO or as much of it has the can with a QB that doesn't know how to read defenses, change protection, audible to better plays, quickly go through progressions while shifting in the pocket, essentially all the bothersome mental stuff Griffin didn't want try to learn from the last batch of coaches. So it will probably be e a watered down WCO with a lot BY (backyard) thrown in because that is what Griffin knows how to do.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 pm

OldSchool wrote:What offense to run? If you start with the given the QB job is not going to be competed than what to run comes down to what Griffin is able and willing to do, in 2013 that wasn't much. In 2014 hopefully Griffin will have two healthy legs and be a challenge for defenses to contain and his accuracy will return. If that is the case I think they should run a variant of the WCO or as much of it has the can with a QB that doesn't know how to read defenses, change protection, audible to better plays, quickly go through progressions while shifting in the pocket, essentially all the bothersome mental stuff Griffin didn't want try to learn from the last batch of coaches. So it will probably be e a watered down WCO with a lot BY (backyard) thrown in because that is what Griffin knows how to do.

If you hate Robert so much why bother coming on here or even watching? Come back when the QB you feel is appropriate is behind the helm. Until then why stress yourself and everyone else?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:29 pm

riggofan wrote:"Five things the Redskins can learn from the conference title games"

The model should be Aaron Rodgers.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 am

OldSchool wrote:What offense to run? If you start with the given the QB job is not going to be competed than what to run comes down to what Griffin is able and willing to do, in 2013 that wasn't much. In 2014 hopefully Griffin will have two healthy legs and be a challenge for defenses to contain and his accuracy will return. If that is the case I think they should run a variant of the WCO or as much of it has the can with a QB that doesn't know how to read defenses, change protection, audible to better plays, quickly go through progressions while shifting in the pocket, essentially all the bothersome mental stuff Griffin didn't want try to learn from the last batch of coaches. So it will probably be e a watered down WCO with a lot BY (backyard) thrown in because that is what Griffin knows how to do.

1) RGIII CAN read defenses. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to run the READ option.

2) it is not the QB's job to change protection. That is usually the job of the center.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 am

OldSchool wrote:all the bothersome mental stuff Griffin didn't want try to learn

This is troll speak. Why do you continue to spout this nonsense? You may believe he hasn't learned these elements, but to say he doesn't want to is pure haterade.

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 am

~~ People who feed Trolls are a greater irritant than the Troll, without food a Troll ceases to exist ~~

Gruden is going to focus heavily on Griffins footwork, which he stated recently in an intierview. It'll be THAT development that will lay the foundation needed to run whatever Gruden installs.

Having watched Kap and Wussel the past couple of weeks, they aren't that much better than RGIII, if at all. Wusssel can't operate within the pocket. And Kap looks lost at times. The ONLY thing they do better than RGIII is run the ball. Kap is a FREIGHT TRAIN when he runs, it's beautiful to watch. Wussel is elusive and a smarter runner.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:~~ People who feed Trolls are a greater irritant than the Troll, without food a Troll ceases to exist ~~

I agree, I'm just not ready to call this particular poster a troll yet. A RGIII hater to be sure, but not sure he is a troll. Continuing to spout the same BS time and again, is changing my mind, though. Much more, and he will definitely go the "Add foe" route.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:~~ People who feed Trolls are a greater irritant than the Troll, without food a Troll ceases to exist ~~

I am LOVING that new "FOE" feature. Thanks to whoever it was that pointed it out to me. Didn't even realize that guy was back at in this thread, much less feel compelled to respond to him. :)

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 am

Gruden is going to focus heavily on Griffins footwork, which he stated recently in an intierview. It'll be THAT development that will lay the foundation needed to run whatever Gruden installs.

Having watched Kap and Wussel the past couple of weeks, they aren't that much better than RGIII, if at all. Wusssel can't operate within the pocket. And Kap looks lost at times. The ONLY thing they do better than RGIII is run the ball. Kap is a FREIGHT TRAIN when he runs, it's beautiful to watch. Wussel is elusive and a smarter runner.

To be fair to Wilson, his offensive line rarely gives him a pocket to operate in. But like Griffin, they also make bad decisions at times, and are inaccurate at times. Surprising, since after two whole years of starting, you would think these guys would at least be as good as Peyton Manning or Drew Brees are right now. At least.

Sarcasm over, I actually think a healthy RG3 is a better runner than either Kaep or Wilson. For example, that run that Kaep took off on in the first half that got 50 yards, a healthy RG3 would have scored on. He's just that much faster (remember that 73 yarder against the Vikings in 2012?). However, Wilson runs to throw, and Kaep is built to run the ball better than RG3.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am

PulpExposure wrote:

To be fair to Wilson, his offensive line rarely gives him a pocket to operate in. But like Griffin, they also make bad decisions at times, and are inaccurate at times. Surprising, since after two whole years of starting, you would think these guys would at least be as good as Peyton Manning or Drew Brees are right now. At least.

Sarcasm over, I actually think a healthy RG3 is a better runner than either Kaep or Wilson. For example, that run that Kaep took off on in the first half that got 50 yards, a healthy RG3 would have scored on. He's just that much faster (remember that 73 yarder against the Vikings in 2012?). However, Wilson runs to throw, and Kaep is built to run the ball better than RG3.

Wilson runs better (not faster) than RGIII, and is much better at protecting himself when he does.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 am

Deadskins wrote:Wilson runs better (not faster) than RGIII, and is much better at protecting himself when he does.

Just curious what you're defining as "better"? Comparing the two players healthy in 2012, Russell Wilson:

94 runs for 489 yds 4 TDs, longest run 25 yards.

In one less game, RGIII:
120 runs for 815 yds, 7 TDs, longest run 76 yards

Actually even in 2013 and coming major knee surgery, RGIII ran for 489 yards in 13 games. Russell Wilson ran for 530 yards in 16 games.

I'd probably listen to an argument that Wilson is a smarter runner, but it seems to me that RGIII is clearly a more effective and dangerous runner.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football