If are going to win the super bowl with Griffin

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

If are going to win the super bowl with Griffin

Postby funsho2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Get him a good defense.....the NFC is turning into a conference of defense

From the niners to the seahawks to the panthers to the saints......I didn't really see much from russell wilson and colin kaepernick to say they are better than Rg3....but having a great defense really helps...it ease the pressure when the offense fails. Until we build our defense like the niners and seahawks...we shouldn't expect super bowls any time soon

CKRGiii

Re: If are going to win the super bowl with Griffin

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:25 am

Man, I've been saying this all year! He has so much more to do to get a w then those teams because of their D. Add in Az, Stl, and kind of chi not as good as they used to be.. but point being rgiii had to put the team on his back and score a gazillion points to seal the deal. He is far from perfect but won't win a game w less then 350+ yards through the air and with his legs. Some of those other guys get the w with sub 150 yard games!
I'd bet he still has more passing yards then Wilson even minus the 4 games and counting Wilson's post season.. with less being needed to win, u get less picks, less scrambles, less hits.. seems like he is always trying to do too much... Granted, he knows a 21 point lead is never safe with our terrible D!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:21 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Man, I've been saying this all year! He has so much more to do to get a w then those teams because of their D. Add in Az, Stl, and kind of chi not as good as they used to be.. but point being rgiii had to put the team on his back and score a gazillion points to seal the deal. He is far from perfect but won't win a game w less then 350+ yards through the air and with his legs. Some of those other guys get the w with sub 150 yard games!
I'd bet he still has more passing yards then Wilson even minus the 4 games and counting Wilson's post season.. with less being needed to win, u get less picks, less scrambles, less hits.. seems like he is always trying to do too much... Granted, he knows a 21 point lead is never safe with our terrible D!

I couldn't agree more. Our D was ranked just about dead last in points allowed. 478 points compared to Seattle allowing only 231. Clearly that is putting more pressure on RGIII and everybody else, changing the way they're forced to play.

If Haslett can get even a modest improvement on the defense, it should be a huge boost to the offense.

Here is a question for you brainiacs though. We were dead last in points allowed, but middle of the pack in yards allowed. How is that? Too many turnovers on offense? Bad special teams?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:56 am

riggofan wrote:We were dead last in points allowed, but middle of the pack in yards allowed. How is that? Too many turnovers on offense? Bad special teams?

Ding Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner!
That and we gave up too many TDs Vs. FGs in the red zone.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 pm

If we want to win a SB with anyone, we'll need a vastly better D. This is no secret.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:49 pm

It kind of cracks me up to see a thread with the word "super bowl" in it.

Super Bowl? Man, I would be thrilled just to be a functional, competitive team for three or four years in a row. Is that too much to hope for?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

riggofan wrote:It kind of cracks me up to see a thread with the word "super bowl" in it.

Super Bowl? Man, I would be thrilled just to be a functional, competitive team for three or four years in a row. Is that too much to hope for?

"Playoffs! Playoffs?!"

:lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Neo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:It kind of cracks me up to see a thread with the word "super bowl" in it.

"Playoffs! Playoffs?!"

:lol:

LOL I can see that face expression and everything. :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 am

Super Bowl? - I would be thrilled just to be a functional, competitive team for three or four years in a row. Is that too much to hope for?

me too but that is not happening for some time here

the Redskins have a lot of work to do to be a consistently competitive team again - it's really unrealistic to think about getting there in the near term
we have made some improvements in how to manage an NFL franchise and we've added some players we can build around
having a future great QB is a huge step but it still will take more than 1 season to get this franchise back to a decent level again

we might make the playoffs but we would not be very competitive - we're looking at 2015 at the earliest and only if a whole bunch of good things happen = NOT LIKELY

we seem to have made a step in the right direction by having a HC and an FO that will operate with more accountability but we have a lot of issues to address

wake up guys - properly building a team with good depth takes more than a year ...
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

SkinsJock wrote:the Redskins have a lot of work to do to be a consistently competitive team again - it's really unrealistic to think about getting there in the near term

wake up guys - properly building a team with good depth takes more than a year ...

Well, when I wrote "consistently competitive team" I meant a team that was competitive year after year. So clearly, that can't happen in just one year. :) The team could go 8-8 next year, and I won't complain as long as they look like they're on the right track.

I have to admit my definition of "competitive" at this point isn't very strict either. I'd just like to watch a team that looks every Sunday like they have a legitimate chance to win the game. Nearly every game in 2013 was a joke.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 am

riggofan wrote:I'd just like to watch a team that looks every Sunday like they have a legitimate chance to win the game. Nearly every game in 2013 was a joke.

I disagree with that. There were more games that were close, than there were where we had no chance.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:56 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'd just like to watch a team that looks every Sunday like they have a legitimate chance to win the game. Nearly every game in 2013 was a joke.

I disagree with that. There were more games that were close, than there were where we had no chance.

lol. Well, I'm not sure why you would bother to disagree with that. And I'm not really arguing that I want to see the final scores be "close". I said I wanted to watch games where we had a "legitimate chance to win the game". Not sure I consider finishing games with 30 seconds left needing a TD and a two point conversion, an onside kick recovery and a field goal to be all that legitimate. :)

eagles 33 redskins 27
redskins 20 packers 38
redskins 16 cowboys 31
redskins 16 eagles 24
49ers 27 redskins 6
giants 24 redskins 17
chiefs 45 redskins 10
redskins 6 giants 20

Those are eight losses right there, and anybody who watched them knows how "close" they were in reality. Personally I'd throw the Detroit loss in as well. Yeah we lost by a touchdown, but we managed to score 6 points in the entire second half.

Just my perception of the season.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

lol. Well, I'm not sure why you would bother to disagree with that. And I'm not really arguing that I want to see the final scores be "close". I said I wanted to watch games where we had a "legitimate chance to win the game". Not sure I consider finishing games with 30 seconds left needing a TD and a two point conversion, an onside kick recovery and a field goal to be all that legitimate. :)

eagles 33 redskins 27
redskins 20 packers 38
redskins 16 cowboys 31
redskins 16 eagles 24
49ers 27 redskins 6
giants 24 redskins 17
chiefs 45 redskins 10
redskins 6 giants 20

Those are eight losses right there, and anybody who watched them knows how "close" they were in reality. Personally I'd throw the Detroit loss in as well. Yeah we lost by a touchdown, but we managed to score 6 points in the entire second half.

Just my perception of the season.

Maybe not that first game (though we went for 2, had a safety, and missed a FG = 6 points), but the others I highlighted, and a few of the rest, I'd say we had a legitimate chance to win. We had some bad breaks, very poor special teams, and several reffing issues (both Hoculi games, of which Detroit was one) that effectively shut us down in several games that we were more competitive than the final score indicated. My 2 cents

Hail to the Redskins!

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 pm

funsho2 wrote:Get him a good defense.....the NFC is turning into a conference of defense

From the niners to the seahawks to the panthers to the saints......I didn't really see much from russell wilson and colin kaepernick to say they are better than Rg3....but having a great defense really helps...it ease the pressure when the offense fails. Until we build our defense like the niners and seahawks...we shouldn't expect super bowls any time soon

REALLY???? Ive never heard DEFENSE wins championships....One hand washes the other though as an offense helps a defense stay fresh by sustaining drives or makes opposing offenses 1 dimensional with a substantial lead....and a defense/st helps an offense with extra possesions off of turnovers or a short field with a good return

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:01 pm

riggofan wrote:Here is a question for you brainiacs though. We were dead last in points allowed, but middle of the pack in yards allowed. How is that? Too many turnovers on offense? Bad special teams?

A few relevant tidbits:

The Redskins defense has allowed 409 points or 27.2 points per game against. Anybody with half a brain (I hope that includes YOU) should understand that a defensive unit should not be charged for the SEVEN return touchdowns that the offense and special teams have gift wrapped for the Redskins opponents. That's 49 points taken away from the commonly cited 458 that you can not charge the defense with. They weren't even on the field.

The Redskins defense under Jim Haslett also begins drives with the worst starting field position in the NFL. According to FootballOutsiders.com defensive drive stats, Washington's opponents start their possessions at the 31.98 yard line on average. That reality is almost laughable.

Perhaps the most damning stat that illustrates a defensive unit that has had their backs consistently against the wall, is that TEN of the 50 touchdowns the unit has allowed have been on drives of 30 yards or less. That's 20 % of all touchdown drives allowed. Don't know about you, but that is preposterous.

To further illustrate, six of those ten touchdowns have been scored on drives of 15 yards or less. Again, these are not excuses but the facts would suggest that the Redskins defense has been put in awful situations and while they have not been able to bail out the offense or special teams, they certainly are not as bad as many think.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football