Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Pushing Paper

Re: Power Run Game? Lichtensteiger to Center?

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 pm

One thing about Wilson I find impressive though, is that he knows how to take a hit right. Right before he's going to get blasted, the dude curls up into a ball, minimizing himself as a target.

Meanwhile, RG3 gets bodyslammed. Routinely.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 pm

emoses14 wrote:Have never been impressed with Wilson for these very reasons. Certainly not better than Griffin and Luck. He has without fail benefited from having an amazing defense. The party line that he is better than Robert was started last year by Seattle people and further evidenced in their minds and talking heads' minds this year as a result of Robert's regression/injury and the redskins' record. Heaven help that problem if Seattle actually wins the superbowl.

Let them drink the Kool-Aid in that case, I say. Maybe another fan base will have to suffer with unrealistic expectations for once!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Last thing power run game and great defense still works. Just take a look at Seattle. They have an old school built team. Both the Oline and Dline punch you in the mouth. The hammer away with Marshawn and Russel Wilson makes the plays he needs to.

Seattle is built like dynasties of old. Power running game with playaction. They have an added dimension as well with read option to add to the running game. We have a similar offense. Just have to shore up the Oline a bit. Our defense has a long ways to go too.

Seattle's offense is bailed out by the #1 defense in the NFL. A defense statistically better than the 2000 Ravens, and as close to the 85 Bears as you can get. Wussell has been putting up 100 yard passing games for a few weeks now, he finally broke 100 during the last game. If you keep him in the pocket, he's garbage. I was so disappointed. Especially hearing about how much of a value he was and how much better he is than RGIII. Watching this kid play made me feel a lot better about Robert. That's for sure. He's talented but he has a lot of the same issue's Robert has and quite frankly when healthy, I think Roberts a better passer. Robert doesn't have darn near the best defense since the 85 Bears to bail him out drive after drive after drive.

Wilson's offensive line is a lot better than ours, too. Seattle's line at its worst, when half the players were injured, seemed to break down and let in pressure at about the same rate our offensive line did at its best. Give Robert more than 2 seconds and he just might locate and hit that open receiver.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:02 am

it's no surprise to most here that a QB's success is mostly due to others ...

Robert is more talented than Colin and Russell - he would be heading to his 2nd Super Bowl if he played with the same coaches and players as they do :lol:

we have the QB, we just need the coaching and the players :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Countertrey wrote:They can't pass protect. Period. That's a huge problem. 3 of 5 o-linemen are marginal for depth. One is an adequate starter. One is blue-chip.

I agree that I'd like to see a bulk of the line gone... However, they didn't commit a sack for the first two games that Kirk started. It does show that it wasn't/isn't all on them. Between RGIII being indecisive and the WR's not winning at the LOS, it was a recipe for disaster. That being said, we still need to upgrade.

That's true to an extent. Earlier in the season there was a stretch that RG3 wasn't sacked much either but what I don't like about our line is they don't open up PASSING LANES often. If the QB doesn't make the right read for his first selection, its difficult to get into the next because everything is collapsed and you can't survey the field or step into your 2nd or 3rd read.. I know Tyler Polumbus was within arm length of the qb on pass drops like 75% of the time lol.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 pm

I really doubt that any of the current O linemen will be on the opening day roster in 2015 except for Trent Williams

we really should get rid of everyone but Trent ASAP - just not realistic
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:12 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Last thing power run game and great defense still works. Just take a look at Seattle. They have an old school built team. Both the Oline and Dline punch you in the mouth. The hammer away with Marshawn and Russel Wilson makes the plays he needs to.

Seattle is built like dynasties of old. Power running game with playaction. They have an added dimension as well with read option to add to the running game. We have a similar offense. Just have to shore up the Oline a bit. Our defense has a long ways to go too.

Seattle's offense is bailed out by the #1 defense in the NFL. A defense statistically better than the 2000 Ravens, and as close to the 85 Bears as you can get. Wussell has been putting up 100 yard passing games for a few weeks now, he finally broke 100 during the last game. If you keep him in the pocket, he's garbage. I was so disappointed. Especially hearing about how much of a value he was and how much better he is than RGIII. Watching this kid play made me feel a lot better about Robert. That's for sure. He's talented but he has a lot of the same issue's Robert has and quite frankly when healthy, I think Roberts a better passer. Robert doesn't have darn near the best defense since the 85 Bears to bail him out drive after drive after drive.

First off. Just because Wilson is good it does not take anything away from RG3. I dont feel we have a rivalry or anything with them.

You cant tell me RG3 couldnt learn a thing or two from Wilson either. Wilson is far better at protecting himself.
RG3s ceiling is higher. RG3 has a cannon and is faster. When healthy he is deadly accurate as well. But Wilson is a good player in his own right. To deny this is just insane.

The Seahawks defense is great. But its not like they have no offense. Ever heard of a guy named Marshawn Lynch? The addition of Russel Wilson just put them over the top.
They have a loaded roster there is no denying this.

Anyhow no need to be jealous of them. We have an offense that can be even better. Our defense? Well thats another story. But with a few draft picks we could have a good defense.

Back to the subject. Power running game and great defense is still my preferred formula. Especially if you can add a great QB like RG3 to the mix even better.

Look like it or not. We have a formula that has worked in the past. To get to the SuperBowl its gonna look alot like it did in the past. Why not rebuild a line like the Hogs again? I mean you would think its simple. We had the blueprint all these years.

Look at the Steelers they still use the same old blueprint. They never strayed. Thats why they have the most SuperBowls. Its time to get back to what won us those SBs in the first place.

Look at Seattle. Looks alot like our teams of old. Dominant running game and defense. Majority of SB winning teams have had dominant defenses and running games.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 am

HEROHAMO wrote:First off. Just because Wilson is good it does not take anything away from RG3. I dont feel we have a rivalry or anything with them.

Who said that?

HEROHAMO wrote:You cant tell me RG3 couldnt learn a thing or two from Wilson either. Wilson is far better at protecting himself.

Who said this? Check my post history, I blast RGIII for his inability to slide.

HEROHAMO wrote:RG3s ceiling is higher. RG3 has a cannon and is faster. When healthy he is deadly accurate as well. But Wilson is a good player in his own right. To deny this is just insane.

I'm not saying Wilson is bad. He's just not what I've been lead to believe. I don't see SEA games often at all and from what I've seen, if you can keep him in the pocket, he's very mediocre. Granted, he's been playing against some good defenses, but he wilts under pressure.

HEROHAMO wrote:The Seahawks defense is great. But its not like they have no offense. Ever heard of a guy named Marshawn Lynch? The addition of Russel Wilson just put them over the top.
They have a loaded roster there is no denying this.

Who said this? Why are you arguing points I'm never made... Thus how can you know I even disagree? I knocked Wilson for only passing for 100 yards in a few games recently, yet you bring up Lynch...

HEROHAMO wrote:Anyhow no need to be jealous of them. We have an offense that can be even better. Our defense? Well thats another story. But with a few draft picks we could have a good defense.

Speak for yourself. I don't think Wilson is that great. I don't think he's as good as advertised.

You wrote a very long post, arguing points that I don't even disagree with. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 am

Whatever you think of Wilson - and I think he's a really impressive QB - I don't believe that he would have been able to take the 2012 Redskins to the playoffs in his rookie year. Totally agree with CLL that he's lucky to have been drafted to a very good team. Not to mention he was a third round pick without the pressures and expectations.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 am

I guess its natural to compare Luck, Wilson and RG3.

But for me I think all three are good QBs and have the potential to be great. Its similar to Elway, Marino and Kelly. I really dont see the need to bash any one of them. I mean could you go wrong with anyone of these talented young QBs?

RG3 literally carries the weight of a whole state and franchise on his back. To top that off he had to do it coming back from ACL reconstructive surgery. We all know this. I mean seriously if Bob does not play well we lose. For Wilson he has the luxury of a great defense.

But Wilsons success takes nothing away from RG3. I mean I dont get why after I compliment success it always has to be followed by a insult to the player.

Wilson is at or near his ceiling. RG3 is just getting started. RG3s potential is out of this world. Wilson is an overacheiver. Wilson is not even supposed to be playing QB if he had listened to the nay sayers. I got to respect what the young man has done. Just like what RG3 did his rookie season.

Anyhow when our Oline gets shored up we can start to compete. Just think we were actually ahead 14-0 against the Seahawks before Bob got hurt. If our defense can at least be top 15 we will be in the playoffs.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:24 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I guess its natural to compare Luck, Wilson and RG3.

But for me I think all three are good QBs and have the potential to be great. Its similar to Elway, Marino and Kelly. I really dont see the need to bash any one of them. I mean could you go wrong with anyone of these talented young QBs?

RG3 literally carries the weight of a whole state and franchise on his back. To top that off he had to do it coming back from ACL reconstructive surgery. We all know this. I mean seriously if Bob does not play well we lose. For Wilson he has the luxury of a great defense.

But Wilsons success takes nothing away from RG3. I mean I dont get why after I compliment success it always has to be followed by a insult to the player.

Wilson is at or near his ceiling. RG3 is just getting started. RG3s potential is out of this world. Wilson is an overacheiver. Wilson is not even supposed to be playing QB if he had listened to the nay sayers. I got to respect what the young man has done. Just like what RG3 did his rookie season.

Anyhow when our Oline gets shored up we can start to compete. Just think we were actually ahead 14-0 against the Seahawks before Bob got hurt. If our defense can at least be top 15 we will be in the playoffs.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post, save the part about not having to dislike another player to duupirt your guy. I agree that is ideal, but at a point it's human nature to do that when every talking head on tv and radio and every fan of the other guy trumpet his success as a 1-1 compare against your guy WITHOUT taking into account the external factors touched on in this post (defense, line, etc) in that compare. I have nothing against Wilson the man, seems like a good man. I despise his, in my opinion, unwarranted hype, reliant on the factors his supporters and griffin's detractors don't want to acknowledge. In many ways this is the very thing that maddens me about Teblow, though there it is also the case that he isn't good and his propping up has other rationale behind it beyond the scope of Wilson's.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:53 pm

I don't think Redskins fans are out to compare RGIII to Wilson. We've just had to hear for the past year+ that, wow, the Redskins could have gotten Russell Wilson in the third round and not traded away two first round picks to get RGIII. Its just not true for pretty much the reasons CLL laid out, especially the quality of the team Wilson joined.

Wilson is a very talented and impressive QB who is not without his flaws. I just don't believe he would have been any more successful than RGIII here.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:09 pm

agreed - there is no way that anyone with any real knowledge would think that we might have been better off with Wilson and the draft picks - no way

we have our franchise QB - we just need to continue the building around him

it will take time

HAIL

Currently 50-41

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
riggofan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I don't think we keep Polumbus as a backup. It's starting RT or gone. He can't play LT at all

It would be a surprising move. I think the main reason it was suggested is because of his cap number.

I've kind of assumed all year that Polumbus would one of the obvious offensive line guys to try to replace/upgrade. Am I wrong about that?

Any chance he (Polumbus) could become a big right guard?

Maybe Lauvao to LG?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football