Teach Our D to Tackle

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||

Re: Teach Our D to Tackle

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 am

DarthMonk wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Main problem with our team is they dive way too much ...

This is what happens when a guy does not break down.

Yes exactly pretty much what I was trying to say. Break down stay in front of ball carrier while others swarm as well.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 am

Countertrey wrote:Is there anything that you won't argue about?

NO!

Just kidding, of course.

But the name of the thread is Teach Our D to Tackle and all the evidence shows we suck at it ... which leads me to believe that although "a professional coaching staff that is practicing tackling will be focusing on certain concepts..." ours has been pretty freaking sad and certainly does not emphasize breaking down, which, I believe, is the key to good tackling.

I'm just giving my opinion on the issue and was asked to clarify at least once.

Sorry, bro.

I'll add what has probably been said by someone else here. It would be nice if all these guys arrived as good tacklers. Then we could spend more time on scheme. But as we have seen, we can put a guy in the perfect spot with our scheme ... but then he'll whiff.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Tackling is all about technique. It's something that players need to focus on and practice. As much haterade as I've consumed hearing about Seattle, I was truly impressed with this article about Cam Chancellor:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sean-taylor-s-pro-bowl-hit-resonates-loudly-with-seahawks--biggest-hitter-212312765-nfl.html

Cam Chancellor preps for each game by watching Sean Taylor highlights. Watching Cam play in the Super Bowl, you can easily see Sean's influence on his game. What made Sean so devastating as a tackler was his precision and technique. He was not a head hunter, he would drive a shoulder through somebody, wrap them up and drive them into the ground. Sean's technique, would produce violent collisions, but his ability to keep his feet under him made him such a threat anywhere on the field.

Chancellor's admiration for Taylor isn't just because of the thrill of impact, though. The Seahawk watches the late Redskin for form and technique. There's a science behind how Taylor hit, and it might be more relevant in today's NFL than it was when he played.

"It's how to keep your feet under you," Chancellor said. "Especially being a big safety."

The problem with being a big safety is it increases the likelihood of a helmet-to-helmet hit – and a penalty or fine. Taller tacklers often lunge at runners instead of tackling from a solid foundation. The "Legion of Boom" makes tackling form even more important, as referees know the Seahawks' reputation for heavy hitting. Along with the rugby and steer wrestling highlights, Chancellor looks to Taylor's videos as a model for leading with the shoulder and aiming for the torso: the "Region of Boom." He prides himself on tackling properly and (unlike many players and pundits) he embraces the new NFL rules.

"I've been doing pretty good with it," he said. "It protects the guy's brain. I have an opportunity to show people how to tackle."

Tackling is a lost art. It seems too many people want to make a highlight reel with a big "hit." Focusing on fundamentals and technique should be just as important for a defense to study and practice as footwork and fundamentals are for QBs.
"Givin'em the Business!"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:11 pm

44diesel wrote:Tackling is all about technique. It's something that players need to focus on and practice. As much haterade as I've consumed hearing about Seattle, I was truly impressed with this article about Cam Chancellor:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sean-taylor-s-pro-bowl-hit-resonates-loudly-with-seahawks--biggest-hitter-212312765-nfl.html

Cam Chancellor preps for each game by watching Sean Taylor highlights. Watching Cam play in the Super Bowl, you can easily see Sean's influence on his game. What made Sean so devastating as a tackler was his precision and technique. He was not a head hunter, he would drive a shoulder through somebody, wrap them up and drive them into the ground. Sean's technique, would produce violent collisions, but his ability to keep his feet under him made him such a threat anywhere on the field.

Chancellor's admiration for Taylor isn't just because of the thrill of impact, though. The Seahawk watches the late Redskin for form and technique. There's a science behind how Taylor hit, and it might be more relevant in today's NFL than it was when he played.

"It's how to keep your feet under you," Chancellor said. "Especially being a big safety."

The problem with being a big safety is it increases the likelihood of a helmet-to-helmet hit – and a penalty or fine. Taller tacklers often lunge at runners instead of tackling from a solid foundation. The "Legion of Boom" makes tackling form even more important, as referees know the Seahawks' reputation for heavy hitting. Along with the rugby and steer wrestling highlights, Chancellor looks to Taylor's videos as a model for leading with the shoulder and aiming for the torso: the "Region of Boom." He prides himself on tackling properly and (unlike many players and pundits) he embraces the new NFL rules.

"I've been doing pretty good with it," he said. "It protects the guy's brain. I have an opportunity to show people how to tackle."

Tackling is a lost art. It seems too many people want to make a highlight reel with a big "hit." Focusing on fundamentals and technique should be just as important for a defense to study and practice as footwork and fundamentals are for QBs.

+1

Nice find.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am

I would gladly take W(HIT)ner here :-)
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football