Roy Helu - RB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Roy Helu - RB

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Roy Helu - RB - Redskins

CSN Washington doesn't expect Roy Helu to cut into Alfred Morris' workload in 2014.
Helu had only 62 carries as the Redskins' third-down back this past season. He doesn't project for a major role in the running game behind Morris, though new coach Jay Gruden could get him more involved after using a two-back system with the Bengals last year. Washington is expected to be more of a pass-balanced offense under Gruden, which should increase Helu's snaps. Helu is set to make just $645,000 in the final year of his contract and will return as the clear-cut No. 2 back.

Source: CSN Washington Feb 7 - 7:47 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Re: Roy Helu - RB

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:45 am

DarthMonk wrote:Roy Helu - RB - Redskins

CSN Washington doesn't expect Roy Helu to cut into Alfred Morris' workload in 2014.
Helu had only 62 carries as the Redskins' third-down back this past season. He doesn't project for a major role in the running game behind Morris, though new coach Jay Gruden could get him more involved after using a two-back system with the Bengals last year. Washington is expected to be more of a pass-balanced offense under Gruden, which should increase Helu's snaps. Helu is set to make just $645,000 in the final year of his contract and will return as the clear-cut No. 2 back.

I'm expecting the two rookie RB's to push Helu hard this year. They have a season under their belts, both should be fully healed. They have more explosion to their game than Helu does.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 am

i thought morris looked really good catching the ball in the pro bowl, even though he couldn't hold on to the ball once he had it. Just leads me to believe there were more things the Shannies coulda done to try and get some O going and didn't take advantage.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 am

brad7686 wrote:i thought morris looked really good catching the ball in the pro bowl

+1
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 am

brad7686 wrote:i thought morris looked really good catching the ball in the pro bowl, even though he couldn't hold on to the ball once he had it. Just leads me to believe there were more things the Shannies coulda done to try and get some O going and didn't take advantage.

I get your point but for a team that already had massive issues turning the ball over, you don't pass to a RB who isn't gifted at it... You said it yourself, he couldn't hold onto it. IF they had done wut ur suggesting, the complaint would still exist, just worded different.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:03 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
brad7686 wrote:i thought morris looked really good catching the ball in the pro bowl, even though he couldn't hold on to the ball once he had it. Just leads me to believe there were more things the Shannies coulda done to try and get some O going and didn't take advantage.

I get your point but for a team that already had massive issues turning the ball over, you don't pass to a RB who isn't gifted at it... You said it yourself, he couldn't hold onto it. IF they had done wut ur suggesting, the complaint would still exist, just worded different.

well i mean he actually caught the ball, he just fumbled. It actually may have just been on carries that he fumbled, I can't remember. He did a decent job catching the ball and it seems like not using him on screens to beat the ridiculous amount of blitzing we endured was a waste.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:09 am

brad7686 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

well i mean he actually caught the ball, he just fumbled. It actually may have just been on carries that he fumbled, I can't remember. He did a decent job catching the ball and it seems like not using him on screens to beat the ridiculous amount of blitzing we endured was a waste.

What good is it if can catch but isn't used to carrying the ball in space like that? Obviously it's something he can do but wasn't practiced.

If I were to assign blame, it'd be to the coaching staff for not really focusing in on that during the off-season. I bet Jay will have ALMO doing a lot of it. But it's also room for Thompson to really shine.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 am

yea im interested to see what thompson can do, could really open some things up. Hope him and jenkins are healthy. And Thomas.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 pm

brad7686 wrote:yea im interested to see what thompson can do, could really open some things up. Hope him and jenkins are healthy. And Thomas.

Mike failed at coaching up our speedier players and getting them on the field. To a degree it's a player problem, that then turns into a scouting/player acquisition problem. But it's very much a coaching level on multiple layers. Positional, coordinator and HC.

Chris Thompson and Aldrick Robinson, prolly our fastest players on offense. They barely touched the field.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm bringing this back because I want to see what most everyone thinks here. Love Morris as a running back. Helu utilized under Gruden and healthy of course, is going to stretch chains on 3rd downs. Apparently he will figure out what they do best. Am I the onlyone getting excited here?

Hog

Postby Neo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:31 am

Kilmer72 wrote:

I'm bringing this back because I want to see what most everyone thinks here. Love Morris as a running back. Helu utilized under Gruden and healthy of course, is going to stretch chains on 3rd downs. Apparently he will figure out what they do best. Am I the onlyone getting excited here?

Heck no brother...this is the most excited I've been since we won the East in 2012! I'd love to see more of Helu coming out the back field for quick routes.

Helu is still fast, and we haven't truly seen what C. Thompson can do yet coming out of the back field (short passes). So if, per say, we get a resurgence of Helu, I'd like for Gruden to make Thompson Helu's successor (never know what Helu's value might go up to after this season).
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:05 am

Does anyone else see irony in a discussion that questions ALMO's ability to hold on to the ball... then talks up Chris Thompson, who actually DOES have trouble holding onto the ball????? #-o
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am

Countertrey wrote:Does anyone else see irony in a discussion that questions ALMO's ability to hold on to the ball... then talks up Chris Thompson, who actually DOES have trouble holding onto the ball????? #-o

I think there are more flaws in Brad's reasoning than merely the Thompson statement.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 am

From Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden admitted at the NFL meetings that he does not see Alfred Morris as a player who possesses "natural hands," and envisions only "20-25 catches" for Morris in his offense.
Suck and Luck

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:44 pm

The Washington Post's Mike Jones believes the Redskins' third-down back position is "unsettled."

Roy Helu is the clear favorite, but Jones' tone suggests there is a real chance Chris Thompson beats him out in camp. Thompson is more dynamic than Helu, but has not stayed healthy since his sophomore college season and has yet to prove he has the pass protection skills to survive as a third-down back.

Rookie Lache Seastrunk is also in the mix, but would have to show vast improvement both as a blocker and receiver.

The odds are still squarely in Helu's favor, and he is worth a late-round flier as the passing-down back in Jay Gruden's offense.

Source: Washington Post Jul 3 - 6:56 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football