Doug Williams praises Michael Sam's courage

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Doug Williams praises Michael Sam's courage

Postby welch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:04 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... s-courage/

I say:

(1) Draft Michael Sam for outside guy in the 3 - 4

(2) Redskins management -- Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder -- should then insist that Jerry Smith deserves to be voted into the Hall of Fame.

I had the same thought as Redskin Dan v1978 (AKA, my son). (I also thought: it's great to have Doug Williams back with the Redskins). From the article in the Post by Mike Jones:

Redskins personnel executive Doug Williams said that Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam should be commended for the courage he displayed when he announced on Sunday that he is gay – a move that could impact his stock in the NFL draft.

Although the NFL doesn’t have any openly gay players, Williams doesn’t think Sam’s declaration should hurt his chances of being drafted. He also doesn’t believe that Sam will encounter harsh locker room conflict if drafted.

“No. 1, I think we’ve got to take our hats off to the young guy because No. 1, he did something that takes a lot of courage,” Williams said. “I’m sure he thinks it could hurt his draft status. Or it could help it. But at the end of the day, the locker room is what it is. You get a lot of people talking about the locker room, but at the end of the day, if you have not been in a locker room, you would never really understand a locker room. When you look at it, for five years, this young guy has been in a locker room. He’s been in the locker room with his teammates and they put their arms around each other and they went out and played. They had a heck of a season: finished No. 5 in the whole country, which means it wasn’t a big deal to them. They went out and played. At the NFL level, the bottom line is where does he rate as a player with the team that’s going to end up drafting him? That’s the bottom line and how we have to look at it. It was like I told someone earlier, Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl and nobody talked about him being black. I think eventually, we have to get to that point when we talk about people’s sexuality and get to that point where you say, ‘Hey, that’s their preference, but if he’s a good football player, and if he can help us win, he can be on my team.’ ”

That doesn’t mean Sam will completely avoid conflict or scrutiny from potential teammates, however, Williams said.

“I think we all understand that there are going to be some knuckleheads out there now. That ain’t going to ever change,” he said. “But you’ll have enough people that are mature enough to understand that society has changed over the last 10 to 15 years and you have to accept people for what they are or what have you. But you’ll have some knuckleheads who will put stuff out there online and things like that. But at the end of the day, if this guy is strong enough to come out, he’s strong enough to handle a whole lot of stuff.”

Williams, a great human being as well as a fine QB, added that it was not such a big deal for him to be the first black QB to lead a team to victory in the Super Bowl. Every Redskin believed in him and supported him. Looking on from outside the Redskin locker-room, I saw an immense yapping about Williams' race, and loads of arguments that John Elway was a golden-boy super-star while Williams was just "some guy". (A "some guy" who happened to throw four TD passes in one quarter. They would barely finish playing Hail to the Redskins before the Skins scored again and they had to play Our Song again. "Some guy", indeed!)

Re: Doug Williams praises Michael Sam's courage

Postby yupchagee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am

welch wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/02/10/doug-williams-commends-gay-nfl-prospect-michael-sam-for-his-courage/

I say:

(1) Draft Michael Sam for outside guy in the 3 - 4

(2) Redskins management -- Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder -- should then insist that Jerry Smith deserves to be voted into the Hall of Fame.

I had the same thought as Redskin Dan v1978 (AKA, my son). (I also thought: it's great to have Doug Williams back with the Redskins). From the article in the Post by Mike Jones:

Redskins personnel executive Doug Williams said that Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam should be commended for the courage he displayed when he announced on Sunday that he is gay – a move that could impact his stock in the NFL draft.

Although the NFL doesn’t have any openly gay players, Williams doesn’t think Sam’s declaration should hurt his chances of being drafted. He also doesn’t believe that Sam will encounter harsh locker room conflict if drafted.

“No. 1, I think we’ve got to take our hats off to the young guy because No. 1, he did something that takes a lot of courage,” Williams said. “I’m sure he thinks it could hurt his draft status. Or it could help it. But at the end of the day, the locker room is what it is. You get a lot of people talking about the locker room, but at the end of the day, if you have not been in a locker room, you would never really understand a locker room. When you look at it, for five years, this young guy has been in a locker room. He’s been in the locker room with his teammates and they put their arms around each other and they went out and played. They had a heck of a season: finished No. 5 in the whole country, which means it wasn’t a big deal to them. They went out and played. At the NFL level, the bottom line is where does he rate as a player with the team that’s going to end up drafting him? That’s the bottom line and how we have to look at it. It was like I told someone earlier, Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl and nobody talked about him being black. I think eventually, we have to get to that point when we talk about people’s sexuality and get to that point where you say, ‘Hey, that’s their preference, but if he’s a good football player, and if he can help us win, he can be on my team.’ ”

That doesn’t mean Sam will completely avoid conflict or scrutiny from potential teammates, however, Williams said.

“I think we all understand that there are going to be some knuckleheads out there now. That ain’t going to ever change,” he said. “But you’ll have enough people that are mature enough to understand that society has changed over the last 10 to 15 years and you have to accept people for what they are or what have you. But you’ll have some knuckleheads who will put stuff out there online and things like that. But at the end of the day, if this guy is strong enough to come out, he’s strong enough to handle a whole lot of stuff.”

Williams, a great human being as well as a fine QB, added that it was not such a big deal for him to be the first black QB to lead a team to victory in the Super Bowl. Every Redskin believed in him and supported him. Looking on from outside the Redskin locker-room, I saw an immense yapping about Williams' race, and loads of arguments that John Elway was a golden-boy super-star while Williams was just "some guy". (A "some guy" who happened to throw four TD passes in one quarter. They would barely finish playing Hail to the Redskins before the Skins scored again and they had to play Our Song again. "Some guy", indeed!)

As for drafting him, if we keep Rak & Jackson (which I hope we do.) we don't need him. We have too many needs & too few picks to do that. If he's available late (6 or 7) it might make sense. If he were a safety or OL, my opinion would be different.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:13 am

Sorry, John...
His announcement does not magically change the Redskins needs... and making a draft choice based on pure politics is simply stupid... and that's exactly what it would be... a purely political choice.

Sam's announcement has no bearing on the 25 year slight of Jerry Smith.

He's a good player, projected to go in the middle rounds... that's the simple fact.
Now... if we get to the 4th or 5th round, and Michael Sams is still on the board... he's very likely the BPA and, you grab him...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 am

I'd want him on the team a lot more of he played literally any other position on defense. Olb is just not a need for us in the draft. We have to get orakpo and should have Jackson too.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 am

It was like I told someone earlier, Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl and nobody talked about him being black.

I didn't think about it until I read this, but RW just became the second black QB to win the SB. It took 26 years for it to happen again. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am

Someone tell me please.. what is Doug Williams here for? Don't give me his title, what will he be DOING for us is what I want to know.

thanks friends
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Someone tell me please.. what is Doug Williams here for? Don't give me his title, what will he be DOING for us is what I want to know.

thanks friends

Doug Williams = Scouting. Glad to have him here!

Michael Sam seems like a great kid, and this story makes me happy on a lot of levels. The reaction and treatment from his teammates and school at Missouri is awesome. That's a sign of the times and just shows that younger generations really don't give a **** about this stuff anymore. I also like that guys like Jonathan Vilma who may have felt a few months ago that it was "ok" to express reservations about having a gay teammate are having to face up to the fact that people have moved on. Not only does he have to get over it, but he's going to lose respect from people if he doesn't.

All of that aside, I don't see what any of this has to do with drafting him. He's either a good player who can help us, or he isn't. I heard Casserly on the radio this morning say that he could probably make a team at least as a solid special teams guy. So yeah, if he is available in the 6th or 7th round, might be a good pick.

So, I'm glad this "first openly gay person" in the NFL stuff is finally done. At what other job in this country is this even an issue anymore? I'm kind of embarrassed for the NFL that this was even a story.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Someone tell me please.. what is Doug Williams here for? Don't give me his title, what will he be DOING for us is what I want to know.

thanks friends

Check out the WP and other sources. There are plenty of write ups detailing his work history, creds and accomplishments.

I dont what Mike Sam's because he's going to bring a lot of media attention wherever he goes. We need less of that here. It has nothing to do with him as a player.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

thanks friends

Check out the WP and other sources. There are plenty of write ups detailing his work history, creds and accomplishments.

I dont what Mike Sam's because he's going to bring a lot of media attention wherever he goes. We need less of that here. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

I sort of agree Chris but if it isn't about the Dark Lord Snyder and his demon larva infecting the team to forever lose, it will be about the name change and anything else they can come up with. The media would only have one more thing to write about. If we were losing and he was a Skin they would say it is because he is causing a locker room problem. I really don't care, but no matter what the media will always pick on this team.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 am

Kilmer72 wrote:I really don't care, but no matter what the media will always pick on this team.

As long as they continue to suck... They didn't pick on the team in 2012, they were media darlings. Winning is the solution.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Winning cures everything.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I did go back and read about us getting Doug.. Honestly, I never knew what he was doing over the years besides Grambling but I'm looking forward to him giving it a try with us.

Let's go Skins!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:15 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:I did go back and read about us getting Doug.. Honestly, I never knew what he was doing over the years besides Grambling but I'm looking forward to him giving it a try with us.

Let's go Skins!!

Yeah, thats why I told you to go read for yourself. I recognized where you were coming from because I felt the same way.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Doug Williams is Quality.

piggie

Postby oj » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Doug Williams is an asset, no question, and I'm happy to see him back here.
Now, this business about gay players making announcements gives me pause, we do not need politics in the locker room and this might very well go in that direction - I say pass. last thing we need is a love triangle going on in the locker room.
Disgusting.
Molon Labe

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football