Deep Draft allows the Redskins to still be relevant.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Deep Draft allows the Redskins to still be relevant.

Postby footballfunday » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am

The Washington Redskins don't need a 1st round pick in order to make a splash on day 2 of the NFL Draft.

http://dynastysportsempire.com/redskins ... 2nd-round/

Hog

Re: Deep Draft allows the Redskins to still be relevant.

Postby riggofan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Cool blog post, thanks. I've been monkeying with the draft simulator on fanspeak a couple times a week lately:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

The data behind it changes frequently, so its pretty cool to see the quality players who are available with our second and even the third round picks. We can definitely get a couple of impact players. We just have so many positions where we could use an upgrade, I hope the team makes the right choices.

This is one year though that I'm starting to really hope we trade down that second round pick. There are a couple teams with multiple second and third round picks. Some examples:

- trade our 2d round #2 to Minnesota for their 2d round #8 and their extra 3d round #32
- trade our 2d round #2 to SF for their extra 2d round #24 and their 2d round #29

If the draft is really as deep as people are saying this year, it could really help us to pick up an extra second or third rounder.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

Does anyone know when they release the supplimental picks for the upcoming draft?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 am

I don't really think we'll get much compensation in the supplemental picks. Teams get picks based on what they lost and then cross reference what they gained in terms of talent. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of anyone we lost and b/c of the cap penalty, we didn't really gain anyone either.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am

I was thinking we would get something for losing Zo to the Cardinals Frank, maybe a 5th rounder.

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:I was thinking we would get something for losing Zo to the Cardinals Frank, maybe a 5th rounder.

Doubtful, but that's actually a decent thought considering how bad our SP was this year. Maybe they'll use that as their argument.

That said, I'm not so sure there's really a set "system" on how these compensatory picks are given. Seems like its some mission critical secret to the NFL.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 am

Its probably controlled by the Rooneys and the Maras who seem to control everything in the NFL....you know the same Maras that illegally docked us $36 million in cap revenue along with another team in their same division. :evil:

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 am

FWIW he did make the pro bowl in 2012, his last season with us. I know the pro bowl is a joke, but it should get us back something I would think. I'm hoping for a 5th rounder, but will be happy with anything at this point. this is a really deep draft, and we have a lot of holes to fill.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football