Offensive line

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Re: Offensive line

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:43 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Yes he would have to earn the trust of the locker room. Which I think he could.
Based on what? The dude quit on his team...

Bottom line is he would have to earn his spot.

The whole fiasco in Miami makes me think of all the different coaches, organizations, players and personalities in the NFL past and present. Successful and bad.
I think about how a coach would not know what was going on in his locker room? How the Miami coach still has his job? I mean If I were to pay a coach I expect him to be on top of everything with my team. Yet this coach had no clue what was going on? Thats like the CEO of Mcdonalds not knowing what the price of a Big Mac is. Inexcusable.

Its clear that the Dolphins organization is going to stink as long as that coach is head coach.

I highly doubt a Gibbs run locker room would have anything like this happen. Parcells, Bellicheck, Vermeil etc.. The great coaches stay on top of things and for the most part know everything thats going on with the team.

I get the sentiment... but NO coach knows everything that's going on... several players just last week confirmed that the second the coach got in ear shot "everything stops". Anyone who has spent time as a supervisor knows the truth of this. You always find out years later "what was really going on". All it takes is one bully with the power of intimidation to keep the boss completely in the dark. On the other hand, it's pretty clear that the regime in Miami is pretty clueless. It's not as if Richie Incognito was an unknown quantity... sometimes, you get what you pay for.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Good stuff in there, man - thanks for posting it! I must have just skimmed over that article yesterday.

The Redskins scouted offensive linemen Taylor Lewan of Michigan and Zack Martin of Notre Dame and will scheme over the next two months how they can trade back into the first round to get a premier tackle like those two.

Not something I'd like to see (trading their way into the first round), and honestly I don't think it will be necessary. I think there will be some really good options available at #34, and maybe we even get lucky and one of these "premier" guys is available.

Either way, I'm glad that they were looking at the o-line.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:20 am

Trading away any more picks at this point would be head scratching to say the least. This draft is very deep and we have a lot of needs. One player isn't going to put us where we need to be.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:39 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:Trading away any more picks at this point would be head scratching to say the least. This draft is very deep and we have a lot of needs. One player isn't going to put us where we need to be.

I'm with you, man. If we have the chance to trade down and pick up another pick, I would do that in a heartbeat.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:29 am

riggofan wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:Trading away any more picks at this point would be head scratching to say the least. This draft is very deep and we have a lot of needs. One player isn't going to put us where we need to be.

I'm with you, man. If we have the chance to trade down and pick up another pick, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Maybe in rounds 4 and after, but I think we need to keep those first two picks to ensure that we get guys who can start within a year.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:53 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Maybe in rounds 4 and after, but I think we need to keep those first two picks to ensure that we get guys who can start within a year.

I would definitely trade our #2 pick for a later #2 and an additional #3. Wouldn't you?

There are a couple teams who have multiple picks in the second and third rounds. I think the 49ers, Vikings and maybe the Browns.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 pm

riggofan wrote:I would definitely trade our #2 pick for a later #2 and an additional #3. Wouldn't you?

There are a couple teams who have multiple picks in the second and third rounds. I think the 49ers, Vikings and maybe the Browns.

Depends on how much later the #2 is.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I would definitely trade our #2 pick for a later #2 and an additional #3. Wouldn't you?

Depends on how much later the #2 is.

Really? Even if I had to move from 34 to the very last pick in the second round, it would be worth it to me to get an extra third round pick. There are good DL, OL, WR and CBs available in the second and third rounds, and we have an insane number of holes to fill this off season.

Realistic scenarios could be: trade our 34 to Minnesota for their #40 and their extra third round pick. Or trade #34 to the 49ers for second round #56 and either second round #61 or third round #77.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 am

Not a bad scenerio. But I think we should trade Kirk for a second. Minnesota needs a QB. Acquiring a second round pick would be awsome. We could realistically find two starters if we have two second round picks.

This draft is deep in talent with the DBs, DL and WR. The QB class is not the best. So maybe Minnesota would be interested? Who knows? A whole lot of teams need a QB. So anythings possible I guess.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:21 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Not a bad scenerio. But I think we should trade Kirk for a second. Minnesota needs a QB. Acquiring a second round pick would be awsome. We could realistically find two starters if we have two second round picks.

This draft is deep in talent with the DBs, DL and WR. The QB class is not the best. So maybe Minnesota would be interested? Who knows? A whole lot of teams need a QB. So anythings possible I guess.

You wouldn't hear any arguments from me if that scenario played out. I think trading down is probably more likely than trading Cousins, but who knows? I think you're right about the QB class this season. Without any sure thing franchise QBs in the draft, maybe Cousins will be looking like a safer bet to some QB needy team when the draft rolls around.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

The Redskins made a couple nice signings to shore up their receivers, defensive line and secondary, but the team still could use more work on the offensive line. Jay Gruden is going to want to revamp the line for his offense. Moses could compete at guard as a rookie before taking over at right tackle in his second season.

The 6-foot-6, 325-pounder has a nice combination of size and athletic ability. Moses did a solid job on the blind side for Virginia in 2013 and performed well at the Senior Bowl. He moves well for his size and can open holes in the ground game.

For the NFL, Moses could have higher upside at right tackle. He played that position prior to his senior year since Virginia had Oday Aboushi manning the blind side. Moses put together a strong enough senior season to warrant a pick early in the second round or even late in the first round.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:39 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

The Redskins made a couple nice signings to shore up their receivers, defensive line and secondary, but the team still could use more work on the offensive line. Jay Gruden is going to want to revamp the line for his offense. Moses could compete at guard as a rookie before taking over at right tackle in his second season.

The 6-foot-6, 325-pounder has a nice combination of size and athletic ability. Moses did a solid job on the blind side for Virginia in 2013 and performed well at the Senior Bowl. He moves well for his size and can open holes in the ground game.

For the NFL, Moses could have higher upside at right tackle. He played that position prior to his senior year since Virginia had Oday Aboushi manning the blind side. Moses put together a strong enough senior season to warrant a pick early in the second round or even late in the first round.

I'm with you on that one, man.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:53 pm

One thing I have always envied was the Giants approach to Dline. If we could do that for Oline, man would that be sweet. Always having an up and coming Olineman would probably sustain us for wins for a long time. At that point we are just plugging in some people year to year rather than fielding a whole team when things go array.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 pm

David Yankey, 6-5/315

Guard

Stanford

David Yankey Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Impact run-blocker
Great at pulling
Effective at the point of attack
Can get to blocks on second level
Reliable pass-protector
Quick to engage
Can handle speed rushers
Can handle heavy tackles
Anchors well against bull rushers
Proper knee bend
Good pad level
Excellent drive blocker
Performs well on screen plays
Good technique, well coached entering NFL
Durable
Experienced
Scheme versatile
Could move to tackle in a pinch

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent, some great games and some bad ones
Needs more functional strength
Inconsistent in short yardage

Summary: Stanford has been one of the most consistent and physical football teams in the nation since Jim Harbaugh remade the Cardinal in his vision. David Shaw has extended that since Harbaugh went to the 49ers as Stanford has featured a tough defense and power running game on an annual basis. The Cardinal's nasty, old school style of play has made Stanford a top-10 program and one of the powerhouses of the Pac-12. One of the leaders on the Cardinal offense over the past three seasons was Yankey. He played tackle and guard, to help pave the way for Stanford' workman-style offense.

Early on, Yankey saw time on the right side of the offensive line in 2011 and played well. He split time between right tackle and left guard. The sophomore was listed as an All-Pac-12 honorable mention after the season. Yankey did a good job of opening holes for Stepfan Taylor and protecting Andrew Luck.

With Jonathan Martin moving on to the NFL, Yankey had an impressive junior season taking over at left tackle for the Cardinal. Overall, he was an adept pass-protector and did an impressive job of opening up holes for Taylor.

In 2012, Yankey had a great game against USC, but he and the offensive line didn't play well against Washington. Notre Dame's superb defensive line and linebackers battled hard against Yankey with each side getting its share of wins. He did well against Oregon and UCLA late in the year. Yankey was named a First-Team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association and The Sporting News. He was a Second-Team All-American by the AP and a First-Team All-Pac-12 pick.

Stanford moved Yankey inside to left guard for 2013. Young left tackle Andrus Peat has the potential to be a high draft pick, while Yankey's most natural position is guard. Yankey had a solid year for Stanford. The senior was very good against UCLA and Oregon State. Versus Oregon, he was an animal. All night, Yankey pulled to his right and blasted open holes in the ground game. He was overwhelming that game. Yankey didn't play as well against USC, but bounced back against Notre Dame. To end his career, he didn't create much of a push against Michigan State in the Rose Bowl.

As a blocker, Yankey is a very well-rounded prospect who is prepared for the NFL. He is a technician who is a balanced run- and pass-blocker. Yankey does well opening holes in the ground game and could execute as a man or zone blocker. His pulling is his best asset. Yankey is quick to get around the left side, and when he's on the move, he can blast open some holes. Yankey could stand to improve his power for short-yardage situations to get more of a push.

Yankey is a reliable pass-protector who has the quickness and athleticism to negate speed rushers. He also has enough strength and weight in his lower body to anchor against bull rushers. With some NFL coaching, Yankey should end up being a good pass-protector as a pro.

Yankey is a favorite to be the first guard selected in the 2014 NFL Draft. He could go late in the first round and shouldn't fall out of Round 2. For the NFL, Yankey looks like he can play quickly and will be a long-term starter.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football