Byrd to be a FA

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Byrd to be a FA

Postby Mississippi Hog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Buffalo did not tag Byrd. He will be an unrestricted FA.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10546 ... airus-byrd

DarthMonk

Re: Byrd to be a FA

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 pm

All Pro. Age 27.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Appears to be a solid player in a position of need, but he also seems to be all about the $$$. I read he already turned down a 3 year, $30M offer --- and acted like he had no choice but to do so.... He also sat out training camp last year before signing last season. I am hesitant to sign or get excited about those type of players. I still have nightmares of Haynesworth. I think Byrd wants a >3 year deal in the >$10M range. That would KILL most franchises salary cap --- including ours. You can get a quality S for HALF of what this guy wants.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:20 pm

markshark84 wrote:Appears to be a solid player in a position of need, but he also seems to be all about the $$$. I read he already turned down a 3 year, $30M offer --- and acted like he had no choice but to do so.... He also sat out training camp last year before signing last season. I am hesitant to sign or get excited about those type of players. I still have nightmares of Haynesworth. I think Byrd wants a >3 year deal in the >$10M range. That would KILL most franchises salary cap --- including ours. You can get a quality S for HALF of what this guy wants.

I like Byrd a lot, but I think you're probably right about that. As bad as it has been, safety is not a position where I want to see the team wrap up a lot of money in one player.

I think we could add a less expensive guy like Taylor Mays or Malcolm Jenkins and still upgrade big time from last year. Maybe get another guy in the draft this year or next year.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 pm

Most of the elite players in this FA class are in the secondary. I expect them to go after Byrd or T.J. Ward pretty hard. They probably wouldn't if there were really good WR's or O-linemen available. But they probly have room to make a splash. Our big needs are safety, O-line, WR, MLB and DE. 3-4 DE is not a glamor position and should be relatively cheap. Same with 3-4 MLB. The WR's in FA aren't good and won't command a lot of money. That leaves us with money to spend on Safety and OT/OG. And we have plenty of cash.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Postby 3of5superbowlskins » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 pm

If Byrd does not come at the right price, we need to move on. Isn't Taylor Mays available? He always reminded me of the great Sean Taylor, and just so happens to share the name. He could be a beast. We need to spread the cap around, not tie it up in some greedy player.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 am

I like the kid from Carolina and he'd be a lot cheaper. I also like Ward because he's an effective blitzer from the saftey position. I'm saying no to Byrd, he'll cost too much money.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:36 am

brad7686 wrote:Most of the elite players in this FA class are in the secondary. I expect them to go after Byrd or T.J. Ward pretty hard. They probably wouldn't if there were really good WR's or O-linemen available. But they probly have room to make a splash. Our big needs are safety, O-line, WR, MLB and DE. 3-4 DE is not a glamor position and should be relatively cheap. Same with 3-4 MLB. The WR's in FA aren't good and won't command a lot of money. That leaves us with money to spend on Safety and OT/OG. And we have plenty of cash.

Good points. I've seen Linval Joseph's name out there lately (DT/NY Giants). I don't think he'll require "big splash" money, but strikes me as a good player to target.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 am

Are you safety in FA people thinking that we bring in a free agent free safety to play for 2-3 years giving Rambo/Phillip Thomas (if he is going to play free) a chance to develop? I am not thinking that Rambo should be our starting safety next year, because we saw how that looked this last year. But I find that to be a failure of circumstance/coaching(?) rather than inability on his part. Thomas, I just have no idea about one way or the other.

What I really don't understand is why we would use a draft pick on a safety (unless he was to be special teams fodder/KR/PR and taken in the 7th) when we just drafted 2 last year. Isn't it a bit quick to be giving up on them and drafting another? Especially with our other needs?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:03 am

markshark84 wrote:I think Byrd wants a >3 year deal in the >$10M range. That would KILL most franchises salary cap --- including ours. You can get a quality S for HALF of what this guy wants.

In free agency? I doubt it. Quality is uncommon and commands a price.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 am

emoses14 wrote:Are you safety in FA people thinking that we bring in a free agent free safety to play for 2-3 years giving Rambo/Phillip Thomas (if he is going to play free) a chance to develop? I am not thinking that Rambo should be our starting safety next year, because we saw how that looked this last year. But I find that to be a failure of circumstance/coaching(?) rather than inability on his part. Thomas, I just have no idea about one way or the other.

What I really don't understand is why we would use a draft pick on a safety (unless he was to be special teams fodder/KR/PR and taken in the 7th) when we just drafted 2 last year. Isn't it a bit quick to be giving up on them and drafting another? Especially with our other needs?

NFL teams don't start 5th round safeties unless they're 200% desperate. We were that team. Baltimore drafted a safety in the 1st and he didn't start for a few games. Sean Taylor didn't start for a few games. It was inability on his part. It was him being put in a position he shouldn't have been. It was the team having very little choice but to throw him into the fire. I can't blame the coaches for not getting a 5th rounder FS to do something that even Sean Taylor and all his awesomeness didn't do.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Its always entertaining following the draft to see the expectations fans have for guys drafted in the fourth, fifth, sixth rounds. Ridiculous that we put Rambo on the field in that home opener.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm

riggofan wrote:Its always entertaining following the draft to see the expectations fans have for guys drafted in the fourth, fifth, sixth rounds. Ridiculous that we put Rambo on the field in that home opener.

Exactly. Hopefully it doesn't derail is career. Via Mara, the team was put in position to fail and the subsequent effect was the kid being put into a position to fail.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Are you safety in FA people thinking that we bring in a free agent free safety to play for 2-3 years giving Rambo/Phillip Thomas (if he is going to play free) a chance to develop? I am not thinking that Rambo should be our starting safety next year, because we saw how that looked this last year. But I find that to be a failure of circumstance/coaching(?) rather than inability on his part. Thomas, I just have no idea about one way or the other.

NFL teams don't start 5th round safeties unless they're 200% desperate. We were that team. Baltimore drafted a safety in the 1st and he didn't start for a few games. Sean Taylor didn't start for a few games. It was inability on his part. It was him being put in a position he shouldn't have been. It was the team having very little choice but to throw him into the fire. I can't blame the coaches for not getting a 5th rounder FS to do something that even Sean Taylor and all his awesomeness didn't do.
Thanks, CLL... I've made this exact point several times before... it's irritating that folks continue to make this argument. Rambo was placed in a completely untenable position last season... far better players have had much longer to adjust. I'm hoping he makes some big gains this year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:50 am

Countertrey wrote:I'm hoping he makes some big gains this year.

Yeah. Preseason will be very telling and obviously his play on special teams. If his tackling doesn't drastically improve, I can see him being released during the cut-down. At the very least he has to contribute on teams.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football