Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby 1niksder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm

The Colts have released Samson Satele, who started 13 games in the regular season and two playoff games because he had a $4M cap hit for 2014, he'd be a upgrade from Will Montgomery who carries a $3.425M hit this year. Cutting Will would save almost $2M in cap space...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:43 pm

Some more food for thought as we get closer to the start of free agency:

The 6 Moves the Washington Redskins Must Avoid in Free Agency
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1980 ... ree-agency

1. Overpaying Perry Riley Jr.
2. Bringing Back Josh Wilson
3. Keeping Adam Carriker
4. Overpaying for Any Position Except Defensive Back
5. Emphasizing Youth over Experience
6. Signing Eric Decker

I mostly agree except maybe for #5. The writer says Shanahan was wrong to emphasize youth and points at 3 losing seasons out of 4 as proof. I'm not sure I buy that as legitimate evidence. We had more problems to overcome than just a young roster, and I'm pretty sure the results weren't any better when we had the oldest roster in the league. lol. There is always a place for some older, experienced guys, but I'm on board with focusing on the younger players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

riggofan wrote:Some more food for thought as we get closer to the start of free agency:

The 6 Moves the Washington Redskins Must Avoid in Free Agency
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1980 ... ree-agency

1. Overpaying Perry Riley Jr.
2. Bringing Back Josh Wilson
3. Keeping Adam Carriker
4. Overpaying for Any Position Except Defensive Back
5. Emphasizing Youth over Experience
6. Signing Eric Decker

I mostly agree except maybe for #5. The writer says Shanahan was wrong to emphasize youth and points at 3 losing seasons out of 4 as proof. I'm not sure I buy that as legitimate evidence. We had more problems to overcome than just a young roster, and I'm pretty sure the results weren't any better when we had the oldest roster in the league. lol. There is always a place for some older, experienced guys, but I'm on board with focusing on the younger players.


I think 1 is far too cute by half. Who determines if they overpay? And I agree that they shouldn't overpay him, too. I also don't think they should overpay at DB. I think we need to find 1 or 2 safeties in free agency that are starting veterans to hold us over until we find out what Rambo and Thomas can do with proper coaching/time. I also would welcome merriweather and doughty back.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
Posts: 2496
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Many more holes in defense but, I think if we want to give Robert a chance, Oline first. Sink the rest in defense and plug holes(wide out also). We are going to have to sign players like Robert and Morris eventually. This will take a long time. I said when we got Shanahan it would take 5 years or longer and people tried to say "not in today's NFL... 2 or 3 years." We need to grow our own product. To hire someones elses that let them go for cap reasons just hinders ours. Bruce has been getting FA at a bargain mostly. Stay the course and things will come together.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 am

Kilmer72 wrote:Many more holes in defense but, I think if we want to give Robert a chance, Oline first. Sink the rest in defense and plug holes(wide out also). We are going to have to sign players like Robert and Morris eventually. This will take a long time. I said when we got Shanahan it would take 5 years or longer and people tried to say "not in today's NFL... 2 or 3 years." We need to grow our own product. To hire someones elses that let them go for cap reasons just hinders ours. Bruce has been getting FA at a bargain mostly. Stay the course and things will come together.


hah. I don't think people were wrong to say "2 or 3 years in today's NFL", but that assumes your team is a well run franchise.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13928
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:16 am

it's going to take time to fix the mess here - the first step was to get 'control' out of Snyder's hands ... and that has been taken .... it seems

The last few years have been tough to take partly because of Mike's ego not letting things here be 'managed' correctly both on the field and with player acquisitions

we are in decent shape financially but we have a lot of work still to do to rebuild this franchise


it's going to take more than a season and a lot of things have to go well ... but ... we do have a franchise QB and that is a huge plus
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 am

Latest Rumors


The Redskins are considered a possible landing spot for free agent Aqib Talib.
Talib has ties to secondary coach Raheem Morris, but wouldn't be a great fit with outside corners DeAngelo Hall and David Amerson both under contract. Washington may be better suited to make a run at Captain Munnerlyn for his ability to play the slot. Talib is reportedly looking to be paid as a "top-of-the-market" corner and could command over $8 million annually. Mar 8 - 4:32 PM

Reported Contact: John Keim ESPN



Aaron Wilson ‏
@ravensinsider

In addition to the Titans, the Redskins are among the other NFL teams interested in Ravens free agent Arthur Jones, according to a source



Emmanual Benton ‏
@manny_PPI
#Redskins have interest in #Dolphins DL Randy Starks per source. Isn't expected to be re-signed by Miami. #Falcons could be interested.



Chris Russell
@russellmania980
About Linval Joseph & the #Redskins - I hear he would be open to the old 4-3/3-4 switch & remember he basically replaced Cofield. #Redskins



Emmanual Benton
‏@manny_PPI
Starks is a #DMV native... went to school in Waldorf, MD. Is said to be interested in playing close to home.



Chris Russell
@russellmania980
When the gates open for real on Tues at 4:00 I would be very surprised if #Panthers UFA FS Mike Mitchell isn't a top target for #Redskins
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Glad to see the team taking a look at Anthony Collins:

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo
Follow

As @john_keim said, #Redskins expressed interest in S Mike Mitchell. Talib and CIN RT Anthony Collins also players of interest, as expected.


Why is Chris Russell tweeting that the Skins should go after Darren Sproles???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 pm

It seems that Collins may have a market as a left tackle, so we're unlikely to get him unless we overpay. I don't like the Talib idea - too much risk attached for such a gamble. And Mitchell leaves me underwhelmed.

I like Sproles, but he seems like a bit of a luxury, given the other needs we have.

Of course, all of these "expressions of interest" are probably agent-generated nonsense anyway!
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:00 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I like Sproles, but he seems like a bit of a luxury, given the other needs we have.


That was my thought as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 am

Yeah, not up for Talib or Sproles. Would be much happier with Captain Munnerlyn at CB, much better value.

I'd like to see them go after Golden Tate or Dexter McCluster, would be good in the slot but can also return kicks, and that's a 2for1 option we shouldn't overlook. If we draft a WR instead then I think they should be able to return kicks also.

Lival Joseph would be good for the DL, and Mike Mitchell at S I think would be good.

Don't be surprised if they keep most of the OL and work on improving RG3's release time and adding targets for him instead. Doing too much too quick could be a bad idea so the line may have to wait. However a lot will depend on what they think of Gettis, LeRib and Compton - if they are all busts in their eyes then they will address the line now.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Yeah, not up for Talib or Sproles. Would be much happier with Captain Munnerlyn at CB, much better value.

I'd like to see them go after Golden Tate or Dexter McCluster, would be good in the slot but can also return kicks, and that's a 2for1 option we shouldn't overlook. If we draft a WR instead then I think they should be able to return kicks also.

Lival Joseph would be good for the DL, and Mike Mitchell at S I think would be good.


Me too. It seems to me that by improving the DL, improving the safety positions, you don't have to have Aqib Talib. I like the players that are being mentioned right now as possible targets.

I like Golden Tate, as well, but I think he'll be pricey. Not sure they could squeeze him in with all of these other needs. I know its a little riskier, but very good chance one of these big, young WRs will be available to draft in the 2d round. Maybe Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson.

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Don't be surprised if they keep most of the OL and work on improving RG3's release time and adding targets for him instead. Doing too much too quick could be a bad idea so the line may have to wait. However a lot will depend on what they think of Gettis, LeRib and Compton - if they are all busts in their eyes then they will address the line now.


Not sure I agree, but I guess we will find out soon. Personally, I think we'll see 2-3 new starters on the OL. Bye to Montgomery/Polumbus (maybe that lines up with what you're saying about keeping "most"). It just seems crazy to think that footwork and release alone are enough to protect RGIII. I'm sure he can improve in those areas, but he is what he is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Bengals just released center, Kyle Cook. :-k
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Btw did anybody else hear that Carlos Rogers was released by the 49ers today? I can't imagine him returning, but would he pull a Smoot?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

tribe
Posts: 6268
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 am

How about we pick up Revis...?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football