Byrd to be a FA

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Byrd to be a FA

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 am

Donte Whitner - Big hitter with corner speed and skills.

Chris Clemons - FS with corner speed. Doesn't miss games.

Both likely in the 3-6 million range?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:37 am

I can't see the Redskins being serious players for Byrd. With as many holes on the roster as we have, it would be foolish to put so many dollars into one position after committing to Orakpo. Our defence would be significantly better with reliable safety play - no need to break the bank for a superstar at this point. Clemons from Miami would seem a more sensible option.

Wait - couldn't I have just copied and pasted a very similar post to this from this time last year?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:32 am

Its funny Byrd seems to be the "top free agent safety" by some sort of media consensus. Bill Polian has him ranked lower than Chris Clemons:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm

In free agency this season and with the many issues we have - I think the Redskins will spend less on more rather than over spend on a few ...

I doubt that Byrd or any 'high price' free agent is being brought in here from another franchise this season
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:In free agency this season and with the many issues we have - I think the Redskins will spend less on more rather than over spend on a few ...

I doubt that Byrd or any 'high price' free agent is being brought in here from another franchise this season

I want to agree with you, its just that we still have that guy who owns the team lurking in the background... :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 pm

riggofan wrote:Its funny Byrd seems to be the "top free agent safety" by some sort of media consensus. Bill Polian has him ranked lower than Chris Clemons:

And he rates Bethea as the best, which makes complete sense once you understand that he drafted him.

Of course, Polian ranks Donald Brown as a top notch free agent, which is a total joke considering the Colts have looked to replace him ever since Polian drafted him in the first round...

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:43 am

PulpExposure wrote:
riggofan wrote:Its funny Byrd seems to be the "top free agent safety" by some sort of media consensus. Bill Polian has him ranked lower than Chris Clemons:

And he rates Bethea as the best, which makes complete sense once you understand that he drafted him.

Of course, Polian ranks Donald Brown as a top notch free agent, which is a total joke considering the Colts have looked to replace him ever since Polian drafted him in the first round...

Sometimes, a little context is useful when reading these expert rankings. That Polian list is radically different to any others that I've seen, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:25 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:

Sometimes, a little context is useful when reading these expert rankings. That Polian list is radically different to any others that I've seen, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I don't disagree, but I'll still give it a little more weight coming from a successful GM vs. a bunch of bloggers reinforcing what everyone else is writing.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't disagree, but I'll still give it a little more weight coming from a successful GM vs. a bunch of bloggers reinforcing what everyone else is writing.

That's fair, but remember he was fired years ago from the Colts for being a disaster of a GM at the end of his tenure (including hiring his son as GM). And despite him essentially hanging out his shingle to get hired, he hasn't been picked up by anyone. Because of that, I do take what he says with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure how relevant his current view of players actually is.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:38 am

PulpExposure wrote:
riggofan wrote:I don't disagree, but I'll still give it a little more weight coming from a successful GM vs. a bunch of bloggers reinforcing what everyone else is writing.

That's fair, but remember he was fired years ago from the Colts for being a disaster of a GM at the end of his tenure (including hiring his son as GM). And despite him essentially hanging out his shingle to get hired, he hasn't been picked up by anyone. Because of that, I do take what he says with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure how relevant his current view of players actually is.

:-k
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 pm

PulpExposure wrote:

No problem with that. A grain of salt is always required of any of these guys.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm

I think Bill Polian is still a very credible authority - more so than most 'media types' and a lot of GMs currently 'working' in the NFL
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 pm

I was all for Byrd, but now I'm thinking he's just going to be way too expensive. There's a handful of teams with more cap $ than us...its going to turn into a bidding war, and he's going to get overpaid.

There are other safeties we could get for much less who would make a big impact. Plus we might even draft another safety this year.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I do not want this guy. I'm going down and saying that. From what my Bills friends say, he's on the slow side and turned down 10 million / 3 year from the Bills. If we can grab him for decent money, than fine, but I'm thinking he's gonna be way overpriced.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 pm

And now it looks like Mike Mitchell signs with the steelers. He was the one to grab.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football