NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
JSPB22

NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 am

Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Re: NFL considering proposal to abolish extra points

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Does Roger know ANYTHING about football?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Well... did you know that when you remove a flag from the ball carrier, the play is over...

Everybody knows that. Hump DAYYYYYYYAAAAAAH
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Not entirely opposed.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 am

Should they make FGs from two or less yards automatic, too? It's preposterous. Games have been won and lost because of missed PATs. What I hate to see is players taking the play off. D Hall pissed me off repeatedly this season by just jogging to the sidelines on PATs. smh

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:49 pm

There is no compelling reason to eliminate the PAT kick for one point.

I do like that, in college, the defense can score 2 points on a blocked PAT kick or on a turnover on 2-point try by returning the ball all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mzUoqK1RM

And then there is this cuz ... you know ... Gano sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3qFse6U3_o

BTW - Intentional grounding rule is whack ... you know ... appalling in nature.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Report: NFL exploring 43-yard extra point for 2014 preseason

:shock:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -preseason
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm

God, that's even more stupid. So now you would have to declare your intentions to go for two? Leave the fricking game alone, a-hole!

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:41 am

I'm curious to see this in action. The extra point is essentially pointless. The extra point wasn't an original part of football, so the purists can calm down in that regard as it too was an addition.

What this projected change does is allow the teams unit a real shot at blocking the extra point.... Interesting.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm curious to see this in action. The extra point is essentially pointless. The extra point wasn't an original part of football, so the purists can calm down in that regard as it too was an addition.

What this projected change does is allow the teams unit a real shot at blocking the extra point.... Interesting.

There's no more chance of a block, but there is more chance of a miss. But this also eliminates the fake FG, or flub by the holder turing into a 2 point conversion.

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 am

Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm curious to see this in action. The extra point is essentially pointless. The extra point wasn't an original part of football, so the purists can calm down in that regard as it too was an addition.

There's no more chance of a block, but there is more chance of a miss. But this also eliminates the fake FG, or flub by the holder turing into a 2 point conversion.

Explain to me how there isn't an increased chance of a block when the trajectory of the ball will be considerably lower from that distance. Please explain to me how that makes any sense at all when you admit there's more of a chance to miss it... That's a huge contradiction.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Explain to me how there isn't an increased chance of a block when the trajectory of the ball will be considerably lower from that distance. Please explain to me how that makes any sense at all when you admit there's more of a chance to miss it... That's a huge contradiction.

What makes you believe there's any difference in the trajectory on a 40+ yard kick from a 19 yard kick? Kickers don't change they way they kick the ball due to the distance. They always try to strike the ball with the exact same motion. The greater chance to miss comes from the angles of allowable accuracy from a greater distance being much smaller, and any crosswinds. There's no contradiction.

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 am

Deadskins wrote:Kickers don't change they way they kick the ball due to the distance.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said anything about a kicking motion, pre kick rituals or how they kick it? You can have the same kicking motion but kick the ball at a diff angle. We're talking about the trajectory of the ball. So you're saying that the trajectory of a 60 yard FG is the same as a 40 yard FG? And that the trajectory of a 60 yard FG is the same as an XP? LMFAO. Sir, you cannot be serious.

But to answer your question...

1. Because Chris Cooley said so on ESPN 980. He stated that XP are basically pooch kicks, aimed straight up in the air to stop defenders from being able to block it. Moving the kick further back, means that the kick will have to be lower. And I'd assume that the kickers leg strength, would determine the trajectory of the ball.
2. Also, because common sense says.
3. Also, because physics say so.

It's a simple point really. The further back you go, the lower the ball is kicked, especially if weather is in play. THUS... An increased chance for a block. Very simple. Aside from it making 110% sense, hearing it from a NFL player who u know, played in the NFL gives it some credibility. Especially over a person who thinks the trajectory of a ball doesn't change with distance.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Kickers don't change they way they kick the ball due to the distance.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said anything about a kicking motion, pre kick rituals or how they kick it? You can have the same kicking motion but kick the ball at a diff angle. We're talking about the trajectory of the ball. So you're saying that the trajectory of a 60 yard FG is the same as a 40 yard FG? And that the trajectory of a 60 yard FG is the same as an XP? LMFAO. Sir, you cannot be serious.

But to answer your question...

1. Because Chris Cooley said so on ESPN 980. He stated that XP are basically pooch kicks, aimed straight up in the air to stop defenders from being able to block it. Moving the kick further back, means that the kick will have to be lower. And I'd assume that the kickers leg strength, would determine the trajectory of the ball.
2. Also, because common sense says.
3. Also, because physics say so.

It's a simple point really. The further back you go, the lower the ball is kicked, especially if weather is in play. THUS... An increased chance for a block. Very simple. Aside from it making 110% sense, hearing it from a NFL player who u know, played in the NFL gives it some credibility. Especially over a person who thinks the trajectory of a ball doesn't change with distance.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm with Chris on this one...

Chris wins! Chris wins!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America