Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:13 pm

So far we have not overpayed for a free agent. So far so good. We have signed two lineman to hopefully shore up the Oline. For the record our Oline has not been terrible but could be better. Keep in mind. I always think of the Hogs as the standard when evaluating our Oline. Fair or not fair.

Anyhow I like what how our front office is approaching this. If we do overpay. I would like it to be at the nose tackle position. B.J. Raji is available. So a mid level contract shouldnt be out of the question. Getting a solid nose tackle would help pressure up front making Rak and Kerrigan that much more effective.

Jason Hatcher could also be had as a 3-4 DE/DT. He played well for the pukes last season. Hes older but should not demand a huge contract. Would be a good pick up in my opinion. One year contract sounds good to me.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:53 pm

No Corey Graham. He just signed with the Bills.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:I would love to pick up Chris Clemons and Tarrel Brown on the cheap. This free agency confirms IMO that Snyder is completely OUT of the picture. Finished. We are finally building this correctly.


It's WAY too early to say that we are building "correctly." By all accounts we were really interested in Mitchell but didn't get him, so who knows if this was our plan all along or if we've just failed to execute our plan. Besides, I don't think that there is any magical formula for building a team "correctly." There's nothing wrong with signing big time free agents, you just have to sign the right players, which we haven't always done. We got Garcon early on in free agency and I would say that he's worked out pretty damn well so far.
Suck and Luck

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 pm

riggofan wrote:lol. Wouldn't this be crazy?

The Washington Post reports free agent CB Carlos Rogers could be a "possibility" for the Redskins.
Washington is in the market for a slot corner with Josh Wilson a free agent. That's where Rogers excels at this point in his career. The 32-year-old started his career in D.C. and shouldn't command more than a one-year deal.



Mine as we'll sign Ryan Clark and Shawn Springs too and party like its 2005!
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:14 pm

AnthonyRRedskin1995 wrote:
riggofan wrote:lol. Wouldn't this be crazy?

The Washington Post reports free agent CB Carlos Rogers could be a "possibility" for the Redskins.
Washington is in the market for a slot corner with Josh Wilson a free agent. That's where Rogers excels at this point in his career. The 32-year-old started his career in D.C. and shouldn't command more than a one-year deal.



Mine as we'll sign Ryan Clark and Shawn Springs too and party like its 2005!


Ryan Clark is scheduled to visit tomorrow...
Suck and Luck

Hog
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby RayNAustin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm not disappointed at all - we're in dire need of a decent secondary but we also have to face the fact that it's not getting better by going overboard by adding 1 good/great safety

this franchise is building itself up and recovering from the BS cap hit and the micro managing/coaching of Mike Shanahan

the franchise is in a good place and just like Rome it cannot be rebuilt in a day

enjoy the process ... I am


Bull ... this franchise had one of it's worst seasons in DECADES last year.

Furthermore, you were spewing the same crap about how Shanahan was building the team the "correct way" during his 4 failed years.

Try having an original thought ... this broken record is becoming a bit old.

08 Champ
Posts: 13396
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:29 am

We would be in worse shape than we are if Snyder had not brought in Mike & Bruce and also, basically, gave up 'control'

Mike and Bruce did do some good things and they certainly made a lot of mistakes

while some may want to get into woulda, coulda and shoulda, this franchise is not looking as bad as many think

we have a franchise QB, some very good young players and we have a new HC



This franchise is rebuilding and it will take time - while it's the same old story, the glass is half full :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Staten Island

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:46 am

I've been hearing about us rebuilding for years, when exactly is that process over???

08 Champ
Posts: 13396
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:I've been hearing about us rebuilding for years, when exactly is that process over???

Rebuilding because we have a new coaching staff - new players are needed to 'build' the offense & defense to suit their systems
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I would love to pick up Chris Clemons and Tarrel Brown on the cheap. This free agency confirms IMO that Snyder is completely OUT of the picture. Finished. We are finally building this correctly.


It's WAY too early to say that we are building "correctly." By all accounts we were really interested in Mitchell but didn't get him, so who knows if this was our plan all along or if we've just failed to execute our plan. Besides, I don't think that there is any magical formula for building a team "correctly."


I think his point that "Snyder is completely OUT of the picture" is why he is saying we are building this correctly. No argument from me there.

Regarding Mitchell, I don't see how his signing with Pittsburgh would mean we didn't execute our plan correctly. We can be interested in and want to sign any player we want. But if that guy wants too much money or - in this case - just prefers to play in Pittsburgh (and who can freaking blame him?) I think executing the plan correctly means that you don't push the panic button and chase/overpay that guy. You move on to the next player.

08 Champ
Posts: 13396
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 am

Dan Snyder is not 'involved' or making bad decisions about the product on the field - I am sure he is in touch with what is happening


Mike and Bruce were the first step - now we are seeing a new approach that involves a lot more people than the last 4 years

i'm sure there are many contingency plans and not all of the guys they think they need will end up here

the accountability aspect has also changed and I'm excited to see what a young guy like Jay Gruden can get done here
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby RayNAustin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:We would be in worse shape than we are if Snyder had not brought in Mike & Bruce and also, basically, gave up 'control'

Mike and Bruce did do some good things and they certainly made a lot of mistakes

while some may want to get into woulda, coulda and shoulda, this franchise is not looking as bad as many think

we have a franchise QB, some very good young players and we have a new HC



This franchise is rebuilding and it will take time - while it's the same old story, the glass is half full :D


You are aware of the fact that last year's 3-13 record is the worst since before Snyder bought the team, right? Whatever one's personal view of Snyder is, so far, he hadn't done worse ... not even when he and Vinny hired Zorn.

He turned over control to Allen & Shanahan 4 years ago, and they managed to do worse than Snyder ever has!

Now, as for RG3, let's all hope that he can return to form ... but if he repeats last year's performance, we could be starring at the greatest boondoggle bust in franchise history, which would be the cherry on top of an already proven disaster that resulted in the worst record in 20 years.

While it's great to embrace optimism, ignoring reality is never a good idea. So far this off season, this front office has squandered a golden opportunity to drastically upgrade a very poor defense, and Haslett must be thinking to himself who's azz must he kiss to get a few competent players to work with ...

With so many corners and safeties available ... we have witnessed each one sign with other teams, ONE BY ONE ... while we've come up empty.

Oh yes, I'm sure they have a plan .... I was just hoping it was not the same one that produced last year's 3-13 .... but from what I see so far, it appears we will be needing to contact Smoot and Green to see if we can manage a reunion with Carlos "the hands" Rogers, ... or switch to a 37 defense and let Hall play by himself in the secondary.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Well we've signed a few more:

CB Tracy Porter
ILB Darryl Sharpton (Texans, one year/$2m)
DE Clifton Geathers

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:29 pm

RayNAustin wrote:While it's great to embrace optimism, ignoring reality is never a good idea. So far this off season, this front office has squandered a golden opportunity to drastically upgrade a very poor defense, and Haslett must be thinking to himself who's azz must he kiss to get a few competent players to work with ...


lol. I think you're both too freaking extreme.

08 Champ
Posts: 13396
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Free agency: where should we spend Dan's money?

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 pm

riggofan wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:While it's great to embrace optimism, ignoring reality is never a good idea. So far this off season, this front office has squandered a golden opportunity to drastically upgrade a very poor defense, and Haslett must be thinking to himself who's azz must he kiss to get a few competent players to work with ...


lol. I think you're both too freaking extreme.


really :shock: - I am admittedly optimistic but I don't see my optimism as being extreme ...

I am hopeful for the near future and realistic about the fact that it will take time to get the players and the continuity needed to have a consistently competitive product on the field

we are nowhere near as bad as we looked last season - the reasons for that will not be a part of this franchise this season

I have VERY high expectations for Robert Griffin - this kid will be a very special QB and I think these guys will help him a lot
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football