Montgomery Released - 2014 Line UP

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Montgomery Released - 2014 Line UP

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 am

We expected turnover on the line, and we need it. The rumors in DC are that Kory Lichtensteiger will start at Center--his 'natural' position where word is he's better than he was at LG. That leaves this question. Does Shaun Luavoau start at Left Guard replacing Lichtensteiger? Or does he start at Right Guard replacing Chester? He played right guard his entire Browns career. S. Luavao is getting paid like a starter, so I'm penciling him in at either RG or LG. Question is which?

According to this article, the Redskins were planning to start Leribus at LG and move Kory to Center last year, but Leribus was too fat for our skinny scheme. In Gruden's scheme, fat is good (see Andre Smith). So the question is this. If Luavao starts at his natural position--RG--what do you think happens to Chris Chester? What are the cap implications of releasing Chester? If he steps in at Left Guard after having been a RG, I think that doesn't look food for Leribus.

I'm hoping he steps in at his natural position--Right Guard & Leribus is ready to be the big Hog he looks like on the left side. That would make our line the following size: LT-330, LG-315, C-284, RG-315, RT-305* Tyler Polumbus may not start. But, we've yet to find a replacement. Tom Compton is listed at 308. This still wouldn't be what you'd call a "BIG" line. But, it's a few LBS up. Let's hope its heavier on talent. Thoughts? What lineup would you like to see on our O LINE.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ontgomery/
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Re: Montgomery Released - 2014 Line UP

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 am

Cool post man. I've seen it suggested that Compton might challenge Polumbus for the RT position. I'd love to see that just to see one of those draft picks work out. Same thing with Lerib as you pointed out.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:32 pm

I figured from all the crying that goes on around here that this thread would have more posts in it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm

riggofan wrote:Cool post man. I've seen it suggested that Compton might challenge Polumbus for the RT position. I'd love to see that just to see one of those draft picks work out. Same thing with Lerib as you pointed out.

I agree on both counts. Would be good to see the draft pan out the way it's supposed to. Tom Compton was an athletic Tackle in college and the combine. Would be good to see that translate to the field on the right side. The "experts" have this draft class as one of the deepest when it comes to Tackles & Linemen. Our 34th overall pick should land a 1st round caliber player. Maybe, we go there with an early pick in round 2 or 3. Tackles are hard to come by. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with one in April.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Doc Walker just mentioned that Chris Chester played Center before, but I hadn't heard that. He thinks Chester is in the mix to compete at Center. If that happens, then Lavaou would stick at RG and perhaps Kory would compete with Leribus at LG. I'm not sure I like that idea for the simple fact that I believe we'd want to go younger at Center since the goal is to develop a rapport with the QB over several years. Kory--while not young--is younger than Chester. Kory is 28. Chester, 31.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:41 pm

The Hogster wrote:I agree on both counts. Would be good to see the draft pan out the way it's supposed to. Tom Compton was an athletic Tackle in college and the combine. Would be good to see that translate to the field on the right side. The "experts" have this draft class as one of the deepest when it comes to Tackles & Linemen. Our 34th overall pick should land a 1st round caliber player. Maybe, we go there with an early pick in round 2 or 3. Tackles are hard to come by. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with one in April.

I've been looking at that in some of the mock drafts. Depending on how that first round shakes out you could definitely see a tackle with a "first round grade" available at 34. You wouldn't hear any complaints from me if they go that route. I really like Morgan Moses/Virginia, and he can play both sides.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:42 pm

The Hogster wrote:Doc Walker just mentioned that Chris Chester played Center before, but I hadn't heard that. He thinks Chester is in the mix to compete at Center. If that happens, then Lavaou would stick at RG and perhaps Kory would compete with Leribus at LG. I'm not sure I like that idea for the simple fact that I believe we'd want to go younger at Center since the goal is to develop a rapport with the QB over several years. Kory--while not young--is younger than Chester. Kory is 28. Chester, 31.

This is the reason why I can't get the constant crying. These guys poured over game tape from the season, practices and OTA's. We have no way of knowing how existing players may fit into the new plans. I think we'd all agree that we want more value out of previous draft classes so that we don't have to readdress those needs. So that we can focus on new needs.

I think this line is gonna look a lot diff this year, and guys from within will get promoted. Time will tell. It's too early for people to be freaking out.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/06/brow ... wn-lauvao/

An area where I felt that Lauvao showed flashes was in his ability as a puller. Although he was rarely used in this capacity, he showed impressive fluidity and athletic ability when getting out in front of the ball carrier. This may be a reason for the Browns taking a look at Lauvao as a left guard this offseason. Left guards are typically asked to pull on run plays much more often than right guards.

When Shawn Lauvao faces pass rushers that resort to using power against him, he typically does a decent job overall. Although Lauvao does not possess the strongest anchor in pass protection, he has a strong enough anchor to get by against most power rushers in a one-on-one setting.

Most of Shawn Lauvao’s struggles as a pass protector come when he faces quicker defensive linemen that use their athletic ability to beat offensive linemen laterally.

IF Lauvao were to move to LG with Licht at center, could Polumbus compete at RG assuming Compton (or someone else) steps up at RT? A lot of versatility would be nice to have if we aren't as fortunate with injury (knock on wood) as we have been the last few years.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I recall seeing something last season about Cincy's O-Line and it's ability to get to the second level. Gruden's system relies on guards that can pull and make blocks in space. Perhaps this is what the FO sees in Lauvao that they like.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think this line is gonna look a lot diff this year, and guys from within will get promoted. Time will tell. It's too early for people to be freaking out.

Never too early for people to be freaking out. 12 hours into FA and people were on the radio calling for Bruce Allen to be fired. lmfao.

I really hope you're right about guys from within getting promoted. That has been KILLING us for years. Not to mention every time we get a new coach, he gets rid of all of the previous coach's draft picks.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:23 pm

I heard Cooley on the radio say he'd heard that Kory was going to be switched to Centre. I think LeRib is ahead of Chester as a possible Centre, can't see Chester getting that gig...

On the basis that we'd like to see some return from our previous draft picks and our (relatively) big priced new acquisition, the best outcome would be something like:
Williams, Le Rib, Kory, Lauvao, Polumbus/Compton
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I heard Cooley on the radio

Wow, that's a powerful radio.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm

maybe the 2014 offensive line has 2 or 3 players who started as offensive linemen in 2013

hopefully the 2015 offensive line has 1 player who started in 2013
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:36 pm

DarthMonk wrote:http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/06/browns-film-room-shawn-lauvao/

An area where I felt that Lauvao showed flashes was in his ability as a puller. Although he was rarely used in this capacity, he showed impressive fluidity and athletic ability when getting out in front of the ball carrier. This may be a reason for the Browns taking a look at Lauvao as a left guard this offseason. Left guards are typically asked to pull on run plays much more often than right guards.

When Shawn Lauvao faces pass rushers that resort to using power against him, he typically does a decent job overall. Although Lauvao does not possess the strongest anchor in pass protection, he has a strong enough anchor to get by against most power rushers in a one-on-one setting.

Most of Shawn Lauvao’s struggles as a pass protector come when he faces quicker defensive linemen that use their athletic ability to beat offensive linemen laterally.

IF Lauvao were to move to LG with Licht at center, could Polumbus compete at RG assuming Compton (or someone else) steps up at RT? A lot of versatility would be nice to have if we aren't as fortunate with injury (knock on wood) as we have been the last few years.

I don't think Polumbus is a possibility at guard. He's 6 foot 8, and plays high for his height. He's a lumbering guy, and not really a low center of gravity, powerful player who would more easily make the switch--especially at this stage of his career. If we had to move him to RG, that would be desperation with other natural guards on the roster.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:This is the reason why I can't get the constant crying. These guys poured over game tape from the season, practices and OTA's. We have no way of knowing how existing players may fit into the new plans. I think we'd all agree that we want more value out of previous draft classes so that we don't have to readdress those needs. So that we can focus on new needs.

I think this line is gonna look a lot diff this year, and guys from within will get promoted. Time will tell. It's too early for people to be freaking out.

Its good to see our oline draft picks being pushed to the front (so to speak). Maybe they'll respond well to the new staff, and surprise us all.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football