Merriweather is Back

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Merriweather is Back

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm

So no Ryan Clark? Or still TBD?

Retweeted by Chris Russell
Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 5m

Brandon Meriweather has agreed to return to The Redskins for 1 year deal worth 1 million per source #NFLFreeAgency #redskins

JSPB22

Re: Merriweather is Back

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Ryan Clark is still in negotiations with the team.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Glad to see merriweather back and hopefully playing in the right position, strong safety.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Good signing. He's basically as good as any of the other options out there, with the exception of Ryan Clark. I had a lot of concerns about his health going into last year but anyone we sign at this point is going to be a roll of the dice. I like our odds with the known commodity — so long as he doesn't aim at people's heads this year.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The middle of our defense is absolutely awful. We actually got worse if that's possible. Riley - Sharpton and Merryweather - ?. In fact the entire back end is bad. We have added Terry Porter to the back of defense so far. A defense that was in the bottom half of last year. I'm all for being patient because maybe we sign an unknown safety and he becomes something or draft the next hall of fame line backer, but this is pathetic. Don't look now, but Reed Doughty is coming back...
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 pm

A better pass rush makes a better secondary. Merriweather wasn't the problem last year. Our corner & Free Safety play was horrendous. And, we got virtually no pressure on the QB. The addition of Hatcher rushing from the interior should open things up for the edge rushers. Less time/more pressure, equals hurried throws which usually result in more incompletions, shorter opponent drives, and more turnovers.

We still need a free safety, but to say we got worse is plain ridiculous. Fletcher is not the Fletcher of old. Can't say we got worse at MLB yet. Amerson/Hall is an upgrade over Wilson Hall. I'll withould overall judgment until we see what we have at FS. FA isn't over, and the Draft hasn't come yet.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:04 am

chiefhog44 wrote:The middle of our defense is absolutely awful. We actually got worse if that's possible. Riley - Sharpton and Merryweather - ?. In fact the entire back end is bad. We have added Terry Porter to the back of defense so far. A defense that was in the bottom half of last year. I'm all for being patient because maybe we sign an unknown safety and he becomes something or draft the next hall of fame line backer, but this is pathetic. Don't look now, but Reed Doughty is coming back...

Where does all this Riley hate come from? He led the team in tackles last season.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:23 am

Byproduct of a 3-13 team, where people put the actual and perceived blame and the feelings that it was more the defense's fault. That's a guess. With such a systemic breakdown all over the team I'm not sure how folks are able to pinpoint the problem on Riley.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 am

I agree Hogster...

If you have no pressure from your front 7, the best 4 DBs in the league won't look good. When the Giants had Lawrence Taylor, their back 4 was horrible. It didn't matter, the front 7 was all over the qb and the ball had to get thrown so quickly that the defense dominated.

While I loved Fletcher, I think he tailed off the past year or two. Sharpton, if healthy will be better than Fletch is now. Riley is Riley. If we sign Clark, our defense will be improved.

The price for safeties was out of control this year and that's a product of a couple things, the most important is, there are very few quality safeties in the draft. It's a loaded draft overall, but not deep in safety talent. Honestly, I wasn't that excited about the 4-5 guys who got big money this year in FA anyway.

I know, I'm a dreamer but I'm still holding out for Tanard. It is so ridiculous that a guy is denied reinstatment for recreational drugs, probably drugs legal in some states. If he was taking steriods, I'd understand completely.

If Tanard does come back he will be healthy, and hopefully in shape.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 am

R. Clark is still in play to return. I could live with Clark and Merriweather as our starting safeties until we are able to develop younger talent like P. Thomas or someone else.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 am

Nobody said Riley was a problem. No hate there either. I know cause I wrote it, so lets not put words in my mouth. I actually like Riley, but to say Sharpton in better than Fletcher is absolutely the most idiotic thing I have ever read. His play may have tailed off as of late (from a hall of famer), but his knowledge far made up for it and to say some backup in Texas is better, we'll see. If anything it's a wash. Riley is Riley and Merryweather is Merryweather who by the way has only played 13 1/2 games in two seasons for us). And the free safety is well, left to a 35 year old Clark (who just dissed the franchise again the other day for not signing him), a guy we drafted in the 4th round who is recovering from a Lisfranc injury or a draftee. Sorry but having a guy who got 11 sacks in a 4-3 last year who is 32 years old will not help a sagging middle. Outside maybe, but not through the middle where we're gonna get gashed by TE's. So if you think the middle of the defense is better than last year, sure, whatever. Agree to disagree.

I retract my statement about the entire back end. I will admit the corner situation is a bit better, but not where I would like to be ultimately. Need to develop. I do like Porter and Amerson is good.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:12 am

I like it.
Hope he stays healthy and he's a beast.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 am

I would not get too excited if we signed Clark. He is one violent sneeze away from his career being over. He has more concussions than Merril Hodge did. Hopefully he changed his tackling technique in the off-season.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Nobody said Riley was a problem. No hate there either. I know cause I wrote it, so lets not put words in my mouth. I actually like Riley, but to say Sharpton in better than Fletcher is absolutely the most idiotic thing I have ever read. His play may have tailed off as of late (from a hall of famer), but his knowledge far made up for it and to say some backup in Texas is better, we'll see. If anything it's a wash. Riley is Riley and Merryweather is Merryweather who by the way has only played 13 1/2 games in two seasons for us). And the free safety is well, left to a 35 year old Clark (who just dissed the franchise again the other day for not signing him), a guy we drafted in the 4th round who is recovering from a Lisfranc injury or a draftee. Sorry but having a guy who got 11 sacks in a 4-3 last year who is 32 years old will not help a sagging middle. Outside maybe, but not through the middle where we're gonna get gashed by TE's. So if you think the middle of the defense is better than last year, sure, whatever. Agree to disagree.

Fair points though I kind of disagree about Sharpton/Fletcher. As much as I liked London Fletcher, I'm sure you agree he didn't have a very good year last year. Sharpton only started 8 games filling in for Cushing last year and made 56 tackles. Fletcher started every game and made 63 tackles. I'm not saying he will be the HoF caliber player Fletcher was, but replacing the 38 year old linebacker with the 26 year old should be better than just a wash IMHO.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 am

SCSkinsFan wrote:R. Clark is still in play to return. I could live with Clark and Merriweather as our starting safeties until we are able to develop younger talent like P. Thomas or someone else.

This. Seems like a reasonable stop gap.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football