Why is Tyler Polumbus so unappreciated?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Why is Tyler Polumbus so unappreciated?

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
The Hogster wrote:As of right now, the only non-debatable guys on our roster in my view are: RGIII, Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon, Jordan Reed, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Perry Riley, D Hall & now Hatcher. Those are the only guys who don't need to be looked at as upgradeable.

To this list I'd add Barry Cofield, David Amerson, Darrel Young, and Kirk Cousins.

For purposes of using a draft pick only, I would add P.Thomas and Rambo to this list. I just don't see the wisdom in bringing in another rookie at a position that takes almost as much time as QB to get right when we have 2 second year players already there. Now FA would have been a different story, but at this point, only a stop gap measure like Clark is a viable option to me. If we draft a Safety before 4th or 5th round, it had better be the second coming of S. Taylor.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 am

Although, come to think of it, since those two were taken in the 4th and 6th round last year, it wouldn't be impossible to cut one of them this/next year if we did draft a safety who was better this year. Hmmm.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 pm

emoses14 wrote:Although, come to think of it, since those two were taken in the 4th and 6th round last year, it wouldn't be impossible to cut one of them this/next year if we did draft a safety who was better this year. Hmmm.

I agree with both of your posts. I suspect Thomas is here to stay. Rambo might be fighting for a job, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. No one expects a 6th rounder to provide much value, and if we drafted a safety within the first four rounds I would anticipate Rambo might rightfully start sweating.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

At this point, I'm all chips in on the "Best Player Available" approach. Last year, the consensus was we needed a Safety to fill a "need" - we wound up drafting a Tight End, and he ended up making the most impact. We need good players at all positions. The gut of this team is pretty much here already whether we like it or not.

I for one think we are much closer to the 10-6 team of 2012 than we are to a 3-13 team with the main piece being RGIII's knee being healthy. We've got to improve on defense.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 pm

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Btw - PFF is the same site that had him rated the #77 Right Tackle out of 80 the prior year. Who knows what their method is, or how they wind up with their rankings. They're a website. Give me a Coach's Poll or GM Poll and let's talk. But, I doubt any fanbase, new coach, or GM is saying, "Oh, we got Tyler Polumbus? Sweeet. Set at Right Tackle." He's subject to scrutiny and it's deserved. Show me a stat for getting pushed back into the QB's face, or the number of times he has to scramble out to his right side because you're getting mauled.

lmao. Yeah, that is probably the best answer on here to the original question.

I was a little disappointed when Gruden first came in and seemed to indicate that given the players we had on the line, he planned to stick with the ZBS, etc; They seem to be taking a different course in free agency with the players they've been looking at.

Btw you mentioned Morris as one of the "non-debatable" guys on the roster. Don't get me wrong on this, because I'm a big fan of Morris, but I will be really curious to see if he is still the same "elite" player for Gruden. There is a history of RBs who excelled under Shanahan and went on to be average guys in other systems.

I believe it was because of Morris ability to run like he does in the ZBS that he wants to stick with it and also continuity. The question I have is can Morris run and rack up yards in a smash mouth system? By the way...I agree with you. I was disappointed in sticking with the same scheme also.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:41 am

Kilmer72 wrote: .. I believe it was because of Morris ability to run like he does in the ZBS that he (Gruden) wants to stick with it and also continuity. The question I have is can Morris run and rack up yards in a smash mouth system? By the way...I agree with you. I was disappointed in sticking with the same scheme also.

The ONLY thing that matters about the offense this season is that it will be different than the offense we had here last season - it will be better

Jay Gruden and the new OC will make the changes needed - the O line will be much improved and more effective ... although, that will not be hard

Both Alfred and Robert are going to have very good seasons mainly because Scott & Jay will have a better offensive scheme for them :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

SkinsJock wrote:Jay Gruden and the new OC will make the changes needed

Unless they fail.

SkinsJock wrote:the O line will be much improved and more effective

Unless they're not.

SkinsJock wrote:Both Alfred and Robert are going to have very good seasons

Unless they disappoint.

SkinsJock wrote:mainly because Scott & Jay will have a better offensive scheme for them :D

Unless they don't.

Just trying to temper your unbridled optimism a little bit. :)

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:33 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Every Redskins fan seems to be taking a dump all over Polumbus these days. Most were going as far as saying that Bruce Campbell was his replacement (an absolutely laughable claim, considering that Campbell hasn't done a single thing in the NFL apart from being a combine warrior.)

What is the average Redskins fan's beef with our incumbent RT anyway? Tyler Polumbus was extremely effective last season.

* He committed only one penalty
* Allowed only 4 sacks
* Allowed only 9 hits
* Showed huge strides in pass blocking
* Was rated as Pro Football Focus' 6th best RT in 2013

Sure, his run blocking leaves a little to be desired... but he's a smart player, who doesn't draw flags and who was an absolutely outstanding pass blocker. In today's league, a RT doesn't just become a run blocker. Passing rules today's NFL. He and Trent Williams are arguably the best tackle tandem in the NFL. If Polumbus isn't starting for us in 2014 it should mean he was either injured or we made some blockbuster move to get a mega star RT.

Dude, you can't be serious right? [-X I understand that points that you state in your post, but let me ask you a serious question, how many times have you seen him get beat? Seems to me I saw every other passing play was some sort of problem directly related to him. Let's also face the truth that he has TERRIBLE technique, doesn't get any leverage on defensive lineman that rush the passer. One would think that as big as this guy is he would have some nasty streak. Seems to me he has no fire and only made the team and started because of the unfair Cap Penalty. I don't see him nor Chester starting on 99% of all other teams and doubt they would even make the 53 man roster on 40% of all the other teams in the NFL. It's time for us to move away from the Tyler experiment, and its also time to cut Chester as well. They both from what I have seen are terrible, most likely the worst right side offensive line in the NFL.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Jay Gruden and the new OC will make the changes needed

Unless they fail.

SkinsJock wrote:the O line will be much improved and more effective

Unless they're not.

SkinsJock wrote:Both Alfred and Robert are going to have very good seasons

Unless they disappoint.

SkinsJock wrote:mainly because Scott & Jay will have a better offensive scheme for them :D

Unless they don't.

Just trying to temper your unbridled optimism a little bit. :)

I wouldn't call it "unbridled optimism" ... but ... the combination of having a FO that will add to what is already here and that the players will benefit from a better 'team' approach to coaching and game planning/preparation than we had last season will result in better play and a better attitude

we have some good players to build around - it will not be hard for these guys to get more out of the roster that we'll end up with this season

there is no way that these guys come in and not make changes for the better and not do a better job than what Mike (& Kyle) did last season - no way

we're not going to dominate the NFC Least but we're going to see improvement in play and attitude from the players and coaches
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:57 am

SkinsJock wrote:we have some good players to build around - it will not be hard for these guys to get more out of the roster that we'll end up with this season

there is no way that these guys come in and not make changes for the better and not do a better job than what Mike (& Kyle) did last season - no way

Just giving you a hard time.

Unlike Shanahan, Gruden gets to start this year clear of the cap penalty and with a healthy RGIII. I'm not ready to proclaim that he's going to do a better job or be a better coach than Mike. But if he can't do better than 3-13 this year, then we have some serious problems.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we have some good players to build around - it will not be hard for these guys to get more out of the roster that we'll end up with this season

Unlike Shanahan, Gruden gets to start this year clear of the cap penalty and with a healthy RGIII. I'm not ready to proclaim that he's going to do a better job or be a better coach than Mike. But if he can't do better than 3-13 this year, then we have some serious problems.

no worries - and you're right about RGIII - he has to show that he is a lot better when the coaches utilize an offense that takes advantage of all his talents

It's actually not a matter of Jay doing a better job than Mike but that the coaching staff will all be able to contribute rather than Mike trying to make it work 'his way'

we will see a better product and a better record - and, for sure, we'll be the same old Redskins in that we'll be a lot better next season

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:

no worries - and you're right about RGIII - he has to show that he is a lot better when the coaches utilize an offense that takes advantage of all his talents

It's actually not a matter of Jay doing a better job than Mike but that the coaching staff will all be able to contribute rather than Mike trying to make it work 'his way'

we will see a better product and a better record - and, for sure, we'll be the same old Redskins in that we'll be a lot better next season

This season I think is very important, number one, we will see if Gruden is the man so many people say he is, and I think more importantly we will see if RGIII is really a franchise QB or was he all smoke and mirrors. I know he was hurt last year but it also looks to me he took a step back in regards to reading defenses. I would have thought that since his knee wasn't 100% he would have used more time studying defenses, it appears that logic didn't fly any. I really hope he is a true student of the game and I hope that he and Gruden develop into something special......

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Morgan Moses - T - Redskins

Redskins coach Jay Gruden conceded third-round OT Morgan Moses is a ways away from pushing incumbent RT Tyler Polumbus for a starting job.

"He’s got a ways to go," Gruden admitted. "He’s moving over to right tackle and we’re introducing him to the outside zone the way we want it, the protections the way we want it and it’s going to take some time." Polumbus was better than given credit for last season, and Moses enters the pros as a total project in terms of run blocking. He's more likely to push for snaps in 2015.

Source: Washington Times May 30 - 1:54 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:08 am

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :roll:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :roll:

Depends on if you consider Polumbus to be a good player or not.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football