2014 Nationals

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff

2014 Nationals

Postby welch » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Just a place-holder so far. Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, and I admit that I don't care much about the SuperBowl. It's interesting, in a theoretical way, that the Redskins might have beaten these Seahawks in last year's playoff's, but Robert Griffin limping in the first half seems almost as far away as Doug Williams hyper-extending his knee in Q1 of SB 22. Long, long ago, and far, far away.

the 'mudge

Re: 2014 Nationals

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:13 pm

welch wrote:Just a place-holder so far. Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, and I admit that I don't care much about the SuperBowl. It's interesting, in a theoretical way, that the Redskins might have beaten these Seahawks in last year's playoff's, but Robert Griffin limping in the first half seems almost as far away as Doug Williams hyper-extending his knee in Q1 of SB 22. Long, long ago, and far, far away.

Still haven't forgiven Baseball... Calvin Griffith and Robert SHORT... the names make me want to puke, still. NEVER will. I suppose it's good that the city has a team... but always remember that... another city lost it. You and I know how that feels.

Harmon Killebrew NEVER belonged in Minnesota... screw that.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:43 am

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:Just a place-holder so far. Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, and I admit that I don't care much about the SuperBowl. It's interesting, in a theoretical way, that the Redskins might have beaten these Seahawks in last year's playoff's, but Robert Griffin limping in the first half seems almost as far away as Doug Williams hyper-extending his knee in Q1 of SB 22. Long, long ago, and far, far away.

Still haven't forgiven Baseball... Calvin Griffith and Robert SHORT... the names make me want to puke, still. NEVER will. I suppose it's good that the city has a team... but always remember that... another city lost it. You and I know how that feels.

You know, I'm glad to hear this kind of response to a home team. Stark contrast to Baltimorons who seem to just gloss over the fact that their beloved Cleveland Browns were stolen from the city of Cleveland in the same way that their beloved Baltimore Colts were from Baltimore.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

You know, I'm glad to hear this kind of response to a home team. Stark contrast to Baltimorons who seem to just gloss over the fact that their beloved Cleveland Browns were stolen from the city of Cleveland in the same way that their beloved Baltimore Colts were from Baltimore.

Interestingly... that exact thought was at the top of my mind, as I framed my response... That Baltimore was willing to steal a team from an old school football town, after having their own hearts broken by the midnight theft of the Colts was... I thought... despicable. At least there was over 40 years between the time that JERK Bobby SHORT took off, after driving the Senators into the ground, and charging the highest ticket prices in baseball, then whining that he couldn't get attendance up... God... It's all back! I STILL HATE ROBERT SHORT!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I hate what MLB did to Montreal. I wish they could get another team and a decent owner. Loria, their last owner, is about as thieving as that owner of whom a banner said, approximately, "May the Blue Bird of Paradise Defecate on His Shortness".

And Calvin Griffith, too.

And the Lords of Baseball (aka, the owners) who insisted for 30 years that Washington is a football town and only a football town. Which it was not, most definitely not, until the New Senators moved to a spot that Shirley Povich described as "some jerkwater place with no distinction expect that it is mid-way between Dallas and Fort Worth". For those too young to remember, George Allen, dear old George, promised that the 1971 Redskins would make the playoffs. I thought "this new coach is crazy. The Redskins have not been to a playoff game since about 1945...and he's just vowed to make it happen in his first year???"

And the Redskins went to the playoffs, even though Sonny Jurgensen broke an arm in a pre-season game and Charlie Taylor broke a leg about half-way through the season. We had nothing but the Redskins, so who else could we root for? Why not, starting in October, 1971, root for the Redskins all year around?

Now it's different. If the baseball gods are kind, the Nats will win the NL pennant and beat Texas in the World Series. You gotta have hope!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:51 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Hence this fan's hate for the Ravens.

Bought a motorcycle as a teen to drive to games at Memorial Stadium to see Johnny U. Went to "The Ghost to the Post" loss to the Raiders. Saw an airplane crash into the stands in the fog after a bad loss to the Steelers.

All 'Skins now.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Saw an airplane crash into the stands in the fog after a bad loss to the Steelers.

All 'Skins now.

You actually saw the plane crash?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Saw an airplane crash into the stands in the fog after a bad loss to the Steelers.

All 'Skins now.

I heard the drone and the impact and when I looked (in shock) it was still moving in the seats.

I guess that's a qualified "Yes."

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am

So glad the Braves did not sweep us.

I'm sure the Deadman would be happy with 2 out of 3 all year.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:20 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

All 'Skins now.

I heard the drone and the impact and when I looked (in shock) it was still moving in the seats.

So it happened while people were still in the stands? Was anyone killed?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm

Deadskins wrote:You actually saw the plane crash?

DarthMonk wrote:I heard the drone and the impact and when I looked (in shock) it was still moving in the seats.

Deadskins wrote:So it happened while people were still in the stands? Was anyone killed?

As I remember it, only malingerers like me were around. It was a blowout and only a few hundred were around for the end anyway. I was down on the field getting autographs. It was right after the game. I'm gonna say there were roughly 100 people left and no one was hurt.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Washington Sports Teams