Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:57 am

Thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss some of the guys the team is bringing in before the draft for private meetings and workouts. I don't follow college football as closely to comment on the individual players, but I'm interested in the types of guys the team is looking at heading into the draft.

I mentioned WR Cody Latimer yesterday in another thread. Today I thought these two were interesting:

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 Feb 24

Kyle Van Noy...another guy the #Redskins brass things very highly of runs a 4.66/1.63 unofficial. BYU LB.


Van Noy is an OLB from BYU, but apparently can play every LB position. He's a guy who could easily be picked in the first round but a possibility he would be available at #34.

Marion Grice RB from ASU is the third player with whom they've set up a predraft meeting. They also attended his ASU pro day. Projected as a late round, third day draft pick.

More evidence that Gruden is looking for a pass catching RB? Love that.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Two OTs in to visit the team today. I suspect more than a few of us are happy to hear about that interest.

Stanford OT Cameron Fleming (6-5, 323) visited #Redskins today, source said.
— Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) April 15, 2014


.@ESPNRadio980 hears #Redskins are planning to have Ohio St OT/OG Jack Mewhort in for a visit before the draft http://t.co/M6gLoxSIq5


Both projected as 2d-3d round picks, so not necessarily guys you would use the #34 pick on.

I would be curious what drafting a guy like one of these would mean for Polumbus. I'm not sure you'd be expecting a 3d round rookie to be starting at RT on day one, would you?

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks for this thread Riggo.

Gruden & friends seem to use a lot of smoke screen tactics IMO. Makes me wonder which of these they truly like, and which they're using to make other teams prematurely pull the trigger in the draft. Pretty smart tactic though.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Neo wrote:Thanks for this thread Riggo.

Gruden & friends seem to use a lot of smoke screen tactics IMO. Makes me wonder which of these they truly like, and which they're using to make other teams prematurely pull the trigger in the draft. Pretty smart tactic though.


No prob! I'm stoked for the draft. Three weeks and counting...

Is that true about the smoke screen tactics? I know there are some teams that do that, wasn't sure if Gruden had any history.

I've seen a TON of mock drafts that have the Redskins taking Cyrus Kouandjio at #34. Not a guy the team has had in for a visit, or even met with that I've read.

Btw Kiper's latest two round draft has the Skins taking Chris Borland, ILB. He does say that Borland is a guy who could very easily be taken in the first round and not be there at 34.

I'd be happy with either of those picks. I'd love to have those Alabama book end tackles. :)

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 pm

riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote:Thanks for this thread Riggo.

Gruden & friends seem to use a lot of smoke screen tactics IMO. Makes me wonder which of these they truly like, and which they're using to make other teams prematurely pull the trigger in the draft. Pretty smart tactic though.


No prob! I'm stoked for the draft. Three weeks and counting...

Is that true about the smoke screen tactics? I know there are some teams that do that, wasn't sure if Gruden had any history.

I've seen a TON of mock drafts that have the Redskins taking Cyrus Kouandjio at #34. Not a guy the team has had in for a visit, or even met with that I've read.

Btw Kiper's latest two round draft has the Skins taking Chris Borland, ILB. He does say that Borland is a guy who could very easily be taken in the first round and not be there at 34.

I'd be happy with either of those picks. I'd love to have those Alabama book end tackles. :)


I don't have any proof of them using smoke screens, just something I thought may be a part of their tactics. I wish I had a handful of examples, but during this offseason, they would bring in a few guys, then suddenly you'd hear about someone that was under everyone's radar. Could have simply been that they were sincerely interested in everyone that visited, but they just went all out if someone came around they loved.

That's a great question about if Gruden has a history of that. I'll ask my friend who's a Cinncy fan.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Oh BTW, I've been getting pretty curious about Cyrus myself. There's been a lot of talk about his knee. Is his knee an issue or are people blowing it out of proportion?
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Neo wrote:Oh BTW, I've been getting pretty curious about Cyrus myself. There's been a lot of talk about his knee. Is his knee an issue or are people blowing it out of proportion?


Hard to say, man. He had an ACL injury at some point and there were reports from the combine about the knee still being in bad shape or arthritic or something. Definitely costing him in his draft stock.

Dr. Andrews has supposedly called BS on all of that and given him a clean bill. I don't know. How does everybody feel about his opinion after the RGIII stuff last year?

the 'mudge
Posts: 14683
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Neo wrote:
I don't have any proof of them using smoke screens, just something I thought may be a part of their tactics. I wish I had a handful of examples, but during this offseason, they would bring in a few guys, then suddenly you'd hear about someone that was under everyone's radar. Could have simply been that they were sincerely interested in everyone that visited, but they just went all out if someone came around they loved.
As an OC and Assistant, I suspect Gruden has had no opportunity... but Allen... he is the son of a bonafide psyche artist, and master of head games, George Allen... you can bet that it's part of his repertoire.

During the run-up to the 2009 draft, there were a number of players, including Mark Sanchez, whom the Redskins were very publicly showing interest in... with LOTS of talk about plans to trade up. It was all the chatter here on THN... and I warned folks that they had no real interest in Sanchez... that the real target was Orakpo, and they were doing what they could to get a shot at him... I may have been talkin' some crap... but how'd it work out?

Most teams play this game... but, as I was once fond of saying to my soldiers, "sometimes you eat the bear... and sometimes, the bear eats you".

The bottom line is, don't believe a damned thing that "sources at Redskins Park" say about the draft. There is a better than even chance that the #34 pick will not have a meeting with the Washington Redskins prior to the first announcement that "the Washington Redskins are on the clock".
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge
Posts: 14683
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 pm

riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote:Oh BTW, I've been getting pretty curious about Cyrus myself. There's been a lot of talk about his knee. Is his knee an issue or are people blowing it out of proportion?


Hard to say, man. He had an ACL injury at some point and there were reports from the combine about the knee still being in bad shape or arthritic or something. Definitely costing him in his draft stock.

Dr. Andrews has supposedly called BS on all of that and given him a clean bill. I don't know. How does everybody feel about his opinion after the RGIII stuff last year?
It's pretty clear that Shanahan was not completely honest. Andrews still has a golden reputation, and he's not likely to risk it on a rook. There's a reason that every player in the league seeks Andrews to deal with their knee injuries, and every team wants him wandering their sidelines.

If Andrews is buying Cyrus, so am I.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote:Oh BTW, I've been getting pretty curious about Cyrus myself. There's been a lot of talk about his knee. Is his knee an issue or are people blowing it out of proportion?


Hard to say, man. He had an ACL injury at some point and there were reports from the combine about the knee still being in bad shape or arthritic or something. Definitely costing him in his draft stock.

Dr. Andrews has supposedly called BS on all of that and given him a clean bill. I don't know. How does everybody feel about his opinion after the RGIII stuff last year?
It's pretty clear that Shanahan was not completely honest. Andrews still has a golden reputation, and he's not likely to risk it on a rook. There's a reason that every player in the league seeks Andrews to deal with their knee injuries, and every team wants him wandering their sidelines.

If Andrews is buying Cyrus, so am I.


Yeah I think I'm in agreement with you on that. To be fair, Dr. Andrews was basically proved right last year. He said Griffin's knee was completely healed and that seems to have been the case. His knee being physically healed just wasn't the same thing as the player being ready to start. That's on Shanahan like you said. (RGIII probably shares some of the blame for that too.)

And hey, if rumors about the knee mean a quality RT slips to #34 then coooooool!!!!!

Btw I'm impressed that you predicted Orakpo. I doubt there were many "experts" who made that pick in their mock drafts that year.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16193
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 am

Countertrey wrote:During the run-up to the 2009 draft, there were a number of players, including Mark Sanchez, whom the Redskins were very publicly showing interest in... with LOTS of talk about plans to trade up. It was all the chatter here on THN... and I warned folks that they had no real interest in Sanchez... that the real target was Orakpo, and they were doing what they could to get a shot at him... I may have been talkin' some crap...

Or you might be talking some now. Can you provide a link to one of these "draft Orakpo" posts? :^o
:twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

swine
User avatar
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:57 am
Location: Noblesville, Indiana

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 pm

The big question that I have is with that #34th pick do you draft to try and fill a need or best player on the board?. Can you get "the right guy" at 34?.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:The big question that I have is with that #34th pick do you draft to try and fill a need or best player on the board?. Can you get "the right guy" at 34?.


BPA. I don't think there is any question about that.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question of can you get "the right guy" at 34. I would say I don't think there is any doubt we can draft a quality, starting material player at #34, especially if we get the best guy available at that position rather than reaching for a guy just because we need a safety or whatever.

08 Champ
Posts: 13497
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:31 pm

The best player available at #34 is most likely at a position of need - so we get both bases covered :lol:

This FO is not 'reaching' for players - they are bringing in players that fit what the coaches want and need
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4840
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby riggofan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:The best player available at #34 is most likely at a position of need - so we get both bases covered :lol:


hah. No doubt! My argument would be though if you ask anybody what our biggest need is, I'll bet 9 out of 10 people would say SAFETY. We'll see how it shakes out, but I'd be willing to bet a safety won't be the best player on the board at #34.

Draft the best guy. No point in reaching for a guy to fill a need just to find out he can't start for you four months later.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football