Friday night draft discussion

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

Re: Friday night draft discussion

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri May 09, 2014 9:45 pm

The Hogster wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Can we start an "aging knee thread," and get back on topic? I'm at the gym and reading your banter has been fun but I'd prefer a link to Morgan's highlights if that's not to much to ask?

Morgan Moses Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bzjkeCaWI

I wasn't a huge fan of him, but he doesn't have OLD KNEES!!!! LOL

Thanks Hogster!

OL and LB drafted so far..
acquired an extra pick from the enemy..
So far so good!!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Neo wrote:Are there any solid CBs or Safeties still on the board?

For the most part, I'm not too familiar with this draft class (w/ the exception of a few players).

Jaylen Watkins the corner from Florida is still there. But, at this point, you've got guys from schools we never see. Mayock has a guy from Wyoming rated pretty high. I've never heard of or seen him.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 pm

For the most part, I'm not too familiar with this draft class (w/ the exception of a few players).

Johnson, Dontae
CB
6'2" 200
N.C. State

Overview

His first name is pronounced "DAHN-tay." Safety-receiver who also played basketball as a New Jersey prep. Played in 13 games (one start) as a true freshman for North Carolina State in 2010 and had 22 tackles, one pass breakup and zero interceptions. His first career start came at free safety against Boston College. Also returned three kickoffs for 40 yards (13.3-yard average). Played primarily as a nickel defender in '11, appearing in 13 games (two starts) and tallying 27-4-0 with three tackles for loss and three sacks. Moved to the boundary cornerback starting slot in '12 and recorded 70-8-0 with six tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble. Teamed with Redskins '13 second-rounder David Amerson to make up the tallest pair of starting cornerbacks in the country. Opened '13 at cornerback before switching back to free safety midway through the year. In 12 games (five starts at cornerback, seven at safety), he totaled 82-5-3.
Analysis
Strengths
Good height, balance and athleticism. Can run with tight ends in coverage. Zone aware. Efficient plant-and-drive. Has a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump. Sets a hard edge in run support -- works to get off blocks, throws his weight around and tackles aggressively. Has played safety, cornerback, nickel and special teams. Smart and hardworking.
Weaknesses
Is lean and needs to bulk up and get stronger. Has short arms and small hands. Lacks elite top-end speed (struggled mightily to contain Clemson WR Sammy Watkins). Hesitates to diagnose from depth and takes some inaccurate angles. Shows tightness in transition. Struggles to break down and tackle in space. Ordinary ball production.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Bottom Line
Wiry, narrow-framed, high-cut, athletic defensive back who would be best in a predominantly zone scheme where he would have value as a versatile backup.

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm

frankcal20 wrote:

Johnson, Dontae
CB
6'2" 200
N.C. State

Overview

His first name is pronounced "DAHN-tay." Safety-receiver who also played basketball as a New Jersey prep. Played in 13 games (one start) as a true freshman for North Carolina State in 2010 and had 22 tackles, one pass breakup and zero interceptions. His first career start came at free safety against Boston College. Also returned three kickoffs for 40 yards (13.3-yard average). Played primarily as a nickel defender in '11, appearing in 13 games (two starts) and tallying 27-4-0 with three tackles for loss and three sacks. Moved to the boundary cornerback starting slot in '12 and recorded 70-8-0 with six tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble. Teamed with Redskins '13 second-rounder David Amerson to make up the tallest pair of starting cornerbacks in the country. Opened '13 at cornerback before switching back to free safety midway through the year. In 12 games (five starts at cornerback, seven at safety), he totaled 82-5-3.
Analysis
Strengths
Good height, balance and athleticism. Can run with tight ends in coverage. Zone aware. Efficient plant-and-drive. Has a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump. Sets a hard edge in run support -- works to get off blocks, throws his weight around and tackles aggressively. Has played safety, cornerback, nickel and special teams. Smart and hardworking.
Weaknesses
Is lean and needs to bulk up and get stronger. Has short arms and small hands. Lacks elite top-end speed (struggled mightily to contain Clemson WR Sammy Watkins). Hesitates to diagnose from depth and takes some inaccurate angles. Shows tightness in transition. Struggles to break down and tackle in space. Ordinary ball production.
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4
Bottom Line
Wiry, narrow-framed, high-cut, athletic defensive back who would be best in a predominantly zone scheme where he would have value as a versatile backup.

Pretty good size! With us having the 2nd pick in the 4th I wonder if they'll pull the trigger on this guy
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm

The Hogster wrote:

Jaylen Watkins the corner from Florida is still there. But, at this point, you've got guys from schools we never see. Mayock has a guy from Wyoming rated pretty high. I've never heard of or seen him.

Thanks brother, I'm on youtube now tracking down a highlight video of him.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri May 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Neo wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

Thanks brother, I'm on youtube now tracking down a highlight video of him.

Yeah, at this point, that's called "film study". I'm getting in some film study myself to prepare for Day 3. LOL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Just sharing in case anyone else was interested in these guys (CBs):

Jaylen Watkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXKtwSkiqck

Dontae Johnson (not a highlight vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3VgDSIBx9Q

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Neo wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Yeah, at this point, that's called "film study". I'm getting in some film study myself to prepare for Day 3. LOL

LOL yeah that's my go to tactic for getting informed on some of these players. Good to know there's always a hidden gem in there.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri May 09, 2014 10:07 pm

So I wonder when the "Bpa" (in this case I'm speaking of the Best Punter Available) should be taken??
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Neo wrote:Just sharing in case anyone else was interested in these guys (CBs):

Jaylen Watkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXKtwSkiqck

Dontae Johnson (not a highlight vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3VgDSIBx9Q

Nugget on D. Johnson. He's played both Corner & Safety at NC State. Is a natural corner but can play both if needed. Would be an ideal nickel corner. Solid tackler similar to Amerson coming out. In college, teams threw away from him.

ps: full disclosure - I'm an NC State fan so would be really excited if he came here to line up next to Amerson. They were studs 3 yrs ago.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Can we start an "aging knee thread," and get back on topic? I'm at the gym and reading your banter has been fun but I'd prefer a link to Morgan's highlights if that's not to much to ask?

Morgan Moses Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bzjkeCaWI

I wasn't a huge fan of him, but he doesn't have OLD KNEES!!!! LOL

Thanks Hogster!

OL and LB drafted so far..
acquired an extra pick from the enemy..
So far so good!!!

+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:The Skins finally have their pick, with a few quality choices. Like most people, I'm pulling for Cyrus Kouandjio. With all the weapons we have on offense, we need a line that is up to the job. Give RGIII a little protection and there's no telling what we can do.

I'd pick Moses.

Er ... I meant I would trade our 2nd rounder and pick him in the third. Yeah, that's what I meant. The third. 8-[

Damn, I'm thinking the applications I've been putting in to be a GM isn't going to pan out now...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:So I wonder when the "Bpa" (in this case I'm speaking of the Best Punter Available) should be taken??

Sorry I don't recall his name, but there was a buzz about a punter in this draft; he's supposed to be very gifted. Its just having to use a pick on a punter :?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri May 09, 2014 10:33 pm

A guy breaking down some tape of Morgan Moses. It's his first time watching him. But, he explains what he's seeing with knowledge. Sounds like a definite jock though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plrbQbULp8U
SPIT HAPPENS!!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:39 am

I really like what I saw on film from Spencer Long. I don't know how hurt he is, and I'm not usually one who's a fan of reaching two rounds to get someone you can have later, but he can really run block. Is quick when pulling, has good awareness, and really moves people and plays nasty. Pass blocking looked suspect, will have to be coached up in that area.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football