Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun May 11, 2014 2:16 am

There are many websites with Draft Grades. Some rate us high, while NFL.com says "we'll wait and see" .....lol

I think we didn't do too badly. Some said the K at the end was a reach (we have Forbath, but I guess his leg is not as strong as we would like on kickoffs)

Here are some quotes randomly found on the Net:

While Murphy may not be the most athletic player in this year's draft, he has one quality that you can never count out: a non-stop motor. It's that desire to outwork everyone that caused CBS Sports analyst Dane Brugler to compare him to defensive end Jared Allen.

Murphy led college football in sacks last year with 15. No matter how you slice it, a team can never have too many pass-rushers on their defense. If you don't believe this to be true, just ask the Seattle Seahawks or San Francisco 49ers.

Adding a mean-spirited cover ace like Breeland indicates Haslett might be ready to let his cornerbacks hit first and ask questions later in 2014.

I know, I know......anyone can spew out stuff on the Internet. I'm just getting excited about how this team is shaping up. New coach, new blood, new era......HTTR
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#######

Re: Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Postby The Hogster » Sun May 11, 2014 7:59 am

I like the Murphy pick. We will have a hard time keeping Orakpo beyond this year if we plan to re-sign Kerrigan. You can never have too many pass rushers.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Sun May 11, 2014 9:21 am

The Hogster wrote:I like the Murphy pick. We will have a hard time keeping Orakpo beyond this year if we plan to re-sign Kerrigan. You can never have too many pass rushers.

I found this pick rather strange. We have2 PB caliber starters & a solid back up in Jackson. It's too soon to give up on Jenkins.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 am

yupchagee wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I like the Murphy pick. We will have a hard time keeping Orakpo beyond this year if we plan to re-sign Kerrigan. You can never have too many pass rushers.

I found this pick rather strange. We have2 PB caliber starters & a solid back up in Jackson. It's too soon to give up on Jenkins.

Does the Murphy pick imply that we've given up on Jenkins? I don't think so.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sun May 11, 2014 11:32 am

I'm very happy with the Murphy pick. The guy is a football player, while he may not be as fast as others he appears to be a hard worker who doesn't give up on a play. Even if we only use him as a 3rd down pass rusher this season he could be valuable.
As for Morgan Moses he was graded as a possible 1st round pick that fell to the 3rd round. I hope he has a huge chip on his shoulder to show every team how wrong they were to pass him up.
Spencer Long could be a steal, if he had not hurt his knee he would have gone a lot higher.
The other picks were for special teams and depth. If any one of them produces for the Skins then it was a good draft.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun May 11, 2014 3:34 pm

yupchagee wrote:

I'm not sure we're giving up on Jenkins by taking him. They may just realize that we won't be able to keep both Orakpo and Kerrigan beyond this year. I like picks like this. Like the Jordan Reed pick. Have to wait and see.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:I know, I know......anyone can spew out stuff on the Internet.
I'm just getting excited about how this team is shaping up. New coach, new blood, new era.....

I agree - this franchise with another draft and another year should be really ready to contend again ....

2014 is a year of growth - 2015 should see us contending for the NFC East title again :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 am

Stocking up on pass rushers is a good thing. The only thing is that I hope they can cover, too. The draft is always a crap shoot and I honestly don't know much about the guys we drafted. I will say that there is going to be a lot of competition at LB and a good competition at RT for who will start. Our WR core seems pretty much set and should cause quite a few headaches for defensive coordinators. Hopefully we find a few gems that can make an immediate impact this year.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 am

The thing with Murphy is we can't keep everybody. It's always good to have a very talented player behind your starters. Look at the Ravens. When you run a 3-4 you have to have OLBS that can get to the QB. I
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am

I don't want to hear that "this is a growth year." We have to tools to compete and I would be very upset if we are not in the division race come the beginning of December.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am

I don't see much point in offering a strong opinion on the draft selections. We're all smart enough to know that you can't really judge the draft until we've seen these guys play. I'm sure you guys wouldn't have to look to hard either to find past draft choices that we were all excited about who didn't pan out at all and other draft picks we hated who worked out.

My initial reaction though is that I'm satisfied because the draft looks like grown-ups were in charge. No Vinny Cerrato clown show trying to trade away our next year's first rounder for Mark Sanchez. Whether you agree with their picks or not, it looks like they had a plan and they drafted the players that the liked - not the players Mel Kiper said they should like. That's a plus. These are a couple things I liked:

1) D-line and o-line with the first three picks. That's always ok in my book.
2) The CB with the fourth pick. From what I've been reading, needs some time to develop but could be a nice longer term addition.
3) Trading down and squeezing Dallas to overpay with a third round pick. That was masterful any way you slice it.
4) Morgan Moses. I just like that guy and the potential to add some youth at such a crucial position is awesome.
5) Reportedly a lot of big school, high character guys in this bunch. Like the approach.

Things I didn't like:
1) Drafting the kicker. Doesn't kill me, but its at the least a head scratcher.
2) Drafting those o-line guys. I know that contradicts what I just wrote, but I hate it because it probably means we have a lot of wasted Shanahan picks on the offensive line who never did jack for us. Very disappointing.

Lastly, I was going to add that yeah I was underwhelmed when they picked Trent Murphy. But in all honesty, I had the same reaction when we took Ryan Kerrigan, and I couldn't be happier with that guy. So I'm going to trust the coaches that they took a guy who can help us. I like the little bit I've seen of him, and if he can help with the pass rush, I have no doubt he'll be a fan favorite sooner than later.

HTTR

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon May 12, 2014 12:47 pm

I get the gripe w the kicker pick...
But it was in the 7th round so I think it's a good gamble

Now if he is our ko man, and boots it through the endzone consistently it's a great pick.. and if he can punt as well as he did his Sr year then it's a great pick!
He had a good avg punt I think high 40s and had a long of 70.. that tells me he has a very strong leg and hopefully can be coached up to fill the need we have at punter and KOs
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I get the gripe w the kicker pick...
But it was in the 7th round so I think it's a good gamble

Now if he is our ko man, and boots it through the endzone consistently it's a great pick.. and if he can punt as well as he did his Sr year then it's a great pick!
He had a good avg punt I think high 40s and had a long of 70.. that tells me he has a very strong leg and hopefully can be coached up to fill the need we have at punter and KOs

It's too bad, I like Forbaith, but we really need a kicker with more leg.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Yeah, believe me, I'm not outraged about the kicker pick or anything. Its a 7th round pick. It just struck me as kind of a head scratcher since we have Forbath, and its hard to imagine that we would carry two kickers on the roster. Its hard to understand exactly what they might have in mind with that pick.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:I don't want to hear that "this is a growth year." We have to tools to compete and I would be very upset if we are not in the division race come the beginning of December.

I understand not wanting to call it anything but a legit shot at winning the NFC East but you're drinking something or smoking something if you think at this time that this franchise is anything but a work in progress after going 3-13 last season and following 2 seasons of cap hell

I actually am very hopeful about the new HC and how hard is it to envision a much better offensive unit with Robert - this kid is going to prove he's a future great

However, our record under a decent NFL coach the past few years has not exactly been stellar and now we have a new HC in charge - let's let him get comfortable first

I agree, we do have some good players here but having them all of a sudden become a cohesive unit is just wishful thinking IMO
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football