Trent Murphy

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Trent Murphy

Postby jmooney » Thu May 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Brian Urlacher played 13 years at ILB with almost exactly the same "measureables" as Trent Murphy. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Murphy will be the next Urlacher but, its not as far outside the box as folks may think to convert him. Especially with the outside backers we currently have and Riley beside him in the middle. Yeah , I know 3-4 vs 4-3 but, how often have you seen Has. run a standard version of either one. Just sayin.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 am

I think one of the main reasons they took Murphy (and this is true of a lot of the picks, but particularly so with Murphy) is his attitude.

I've heard him described as a 'first one in, last one out' kinda guy so he's a real worker. I read the piece on his old man in the Post, he's a bodybuilder and clearly been very tough on his kids in terms of building their character. This kids feet will never leave the ground that's for sure.

He's been drafted to be our next London Fletcher IMO. He has great instincts and serious commitment to the cause. Its the stuff you can't measure at the combine but its the stuff that turns a team into a team of winners.

He also has a nasty streak, which for his position is just fantastic.

If all this is true about him then I think in about three years we'll all be applauding this draft pick as an inspired one.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat May 17, 2014 7:03 am

Urlacher was a Safety in college. Trent Murphy fell to the late 2nd because he struggles in coverage. ILBs have to cover a lot more than OLBS in a 3-4....while it would be convenient to put him there, I don't think we will. And, if we did it would negate his ability to move forward (high motor) and rush the passer. Urlacher's transition was different. I thought Rob Jackson would be a good fit as his skills in coverage outweigh his pass rush ability, and he's a good open field tackler.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat May 17, 2014 9:57 am

The Hogster wrote:Urlacher was a Safety in college. Trent Murphy fell to the late 2nd because he struggles in coverage. ILBs have to cover a lot more than OLBS in a 3-4....while it would be convenient to put him there, I don't think we will. And, if we did it would negate his ability to move forward (high motor) and rush the passer. Urlacher's transition was different. I thought Rob Jackson would be a good fit as his skills in coverage outweigh his pass rush ability, and he's a good open field tackler.

I wouldn't characterize 15th in the second round as "late" second round. I don't get the idea of forcing him into the middle either and I am not hearing anything about that from the organization. Mid second rounders aren't slam dunks, they need to let him learn to play the position he's fit for, not force him into one he isn't.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm

The Hogster wrote:Urlacher was a Safety in college. Trent Murphy fell to the late 2nd because he struggles in coverage. ILBs have to cover a lot more than OLBS in a 3-4....while it would be convenient to put him there, I don't think we will. And, if we did it would negate his ability to move forward (high motor) and rush the passer. Urlacher's transition was different. I thought Rob Jackson would be a good fit as his skills in coverage outweigh his pass rush ability, and he's a good open field tackler.

Nooooot exactly. He was a ILB his first two years then under coach Rocky he was used a hybrid LB/ FS... Thy coached up his cover skills but also had him on teams and making catches on O. Rocky called him the Lobo back and ran a 3-3-5... mainly because Brian was the most talented player we had on either side of the ball!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat May 17, 2014 4:29 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:

Nooooot exactly. He was a ILB his first two years then under coach Rocky he was used a hybrid LB/ FS... Thy coached up his cover skills but also had him on teams and making catches on O. Rocky called him the Lobo back and ran a 3-3-5... mainly because Brian was the most talented player we had on either side of the ball!!

ok - my point is just that he was actually familiar with the concepts of an ILB (i.e. playing in space, covering the middle of the field, and recognizing/reacting to the offense on the whole in front of him). Murphy has not done that yet. Not saying he can't, but wouldn't expect that transition to happen now if at all. I also don't see why we'd take the NCAA leading pass rusher and make him a 3-4 ILB. He's got a lot of promise as either an OLB or a DE (only if he gains weight). Either way, I like drafting talent rather than just a need. That usually works out better in the long run.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 pm

On the other hand, having a middle linebacker that can get after a QB would open all kinds of doors.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 20, 2014 2:02 pm

The Hogster wrote:Either way, I like drafting talent rather than just a need. That usually works out better in the long run.

+1
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 22, 2014 2:38 pm

jmooney wrote:Brian Urlacher played 13 years at ILB with almost exactly the same "measureables" as Trent Murphy. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Murphy will be the next Urlacher but, its not as far outside the box as folks may think to convert him. Especially with the outside backers we currently have and Riley beside him in the middle. Yeah , I know 3-4 vs 4-3 but, how often have you seen Has. run a standard version of either one. Just sayin.

Urlacher:
6-4, 258, 4.59 40, 27 bench reps of 225 (thicker, faster, and stronger)

Murphy:
6-5, 250, 4.86 40, 19 bench reps of 225

This will be interesting to see how he's used. I liked him better as an outside linebacker. He led the NCAA in sacks (15 in 2013), but he's not an explosive dynamic pass rusher. But he's relentless.
-Charles Davis

STRENGTHS Naturally big-boned with a good frame to add bulk if desired. Very good instincts. Above-average athlete -- bends fairly well. Massive mitts (11 1/8 inches) measured bigger than any other player at the combine. Good hand use -- can jolt blockers with his punch. Controls the line of scrimmage and consistently outleverages tight ends. Very physical re-routing tight ends at the line. Outstanding motor and sack production -- led the country in sacks (15) as a senior. Tough, smart and hardworking with a throwback personality. Leader vocally and by example. Will hold teammates accountable and represent the program with class.

WEAKNESSES Very average weight-room strength. Underdeveloped upper body. Can be folded and neutralized by down blocks against more physical blockers (see Notre Dame). Cannot square up and play honest vs. top power. Has coverage limitations -- is tight and late to transition. More natural moving forward than in reverse. Coverage limitations show up vs. backs. Can be stressed vs. speed in the open field.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE As a base end in an even front or a LOLB in an odd front, Murphy's instincts, motor and toughness are what define his success and could allow him to eventually become a double-digit sack producer in the pros. Will require a few years to adapt to the speed of the NFL game.
-Nolan Nawrocki
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:12 am

Watching Murphys college highlights he does remind me of Watt a bit. But lets not go overboard here.

Watt is a freak of nature seriously. Watt is 6-6 280lbs, one of the strongest men in the NFL, has a 50 inch vertical. J.J. Watt can jump out of a swimming pool. I dont know how many men in the NFL can do this let alone a DT.

Anyhow I love the way Murphy plays. His motor is impressive. Murphys instincts are great.
Murphy also has good height. I love how Murphy batts down those passes. Good pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football