Morocco Brown Leaving Redskins for Browns

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin

Morocco Brown Leaving Redskins for Browns

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 pm

The Cleveland Browns are in the process of adding Washington Redskins director of pro personnel Morocco Brown to the front office, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

Brown, who has been with Washington since 2008, interviewed with the Browns over the weekend. Brown had been passed over for several general manager positions despite interviews in the last three years. Earlier this offseason, he interviewed with Tampa Bay, but did not receive an offer for that job.

It wasn’t immediately clear what title Brown would hold with Cleveland, but it is believed that it will be a high-ranking position in the front office.

Brown has worked under director of player personnel Scott Campbell, reporting to both Campbell and general manager Bruce Allen. Brown was instrumental in the Redskins signing free agents under Mike Shanahan, most notably Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, and Josh Wilson during the 2010 offseason.

Candidates to replace Brown include front office assistants Doug Williams and A.J. Smith, who have joined the Redskins in the last year and two years, respectively.

Former Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was hired this offseason to direct Cleveland’s offense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/05/20/morocco-brown-accepts-a-job-with-cleveland-browns/

@john_keim: OK, one more note.. I'm surprised the Redskins didn't do something to hang onto Brown. Quality guy, worker. He wanted to move up, though.

@john_keim: If you want to build strong organizations, you take care of people u think can get u there and find ways to keep. No 1 irreplaceable, but...

@Russellmania980: The #Redskins if I am being completely honest do not look good again here by not promoting Morocco Brown or Scott Campbell. #Browns

@Russellmania980: The #Redskins not only did not take care of Morocco Brown in terms of a promotion, but in terms of job title - have not promoted S. Campbell

@Russellmania980: Some possible in-house names are Richard Mann II or Alex Santos.Mann II was hired by Allen in '10. Santos & Brown NCST teammates in late 90s

@Russellmania980: I can't rule it out 100 % but I'd be very surprised if AJ Smith or Doug Williams replaces Morocco Brown. Those guys are not 100/hr week guys

@Russellmania980: Morocco Brown's official title for the #Browns will be Vice President of Player Personnel. Not Assistant GM. He's 2nd in charge under Farmer
Suck and Luck

Hog

Re: Morocco Brown Leaving Redskins for Browns

Postby riggofan » Tue May 20, 2014 1:08 pm

I can't quite wrap my head around whether this is a big deal or not. The local media definitely seems to think so, presumably because so many of them know and like Morocco Brown personally.

I heard Grant Paulsen make a good argument that the Redskins should have made Brown the GM this year and allowed Bruce Allen the Team President title. I guess a way to reward a guy who has done good work.

I will say that it has looked for a long time like the team has a tendancy to value players, coaches, etc; from other teams more than their own guys. They've done a good job changing that perception with the players lately. Morocco Brown might be evidence that they could make the same improvement in the front office.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue May 20, 2014 6:37 pm

@Russellmania980: Morocco Brown's official title for the #Browns will be Vice President of Player Personnel. Not Assistant GM. He's 2nd in charge under Farmer

Doesn't really sound like it's any kind of real promotion. Maybe just a better title. Oh well, we can't know what's really going on behind the scenes.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed May 21, 2014 9:35 am

Deadskins wrote:

Doesn't really sound like it's any kind of real promotion. Maybe just a better title. Oh well, we can't know what's really going on behind the scenes.

Often times the promotion is a promotion of money rather than title. I'd be the Head Janitor of the Browns if they paid me enough.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Yea, I've read reports that the man got paid. Considering the work load and the high esteem he's held in, he deserved it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Well, maybe the Skins did the right thing and let someone go who can better himself, and have someone to replace him. No big deal. I don't think you let this guy go if he is all that irreplaceable.

No harm done.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

Kilmer72 wrote:Well, maybe the Skins did the right thing and let someone go who can better himself, and have someone to replace him. No big deal. I don't think you let this guy go if he is all that irreplaceable.

No harm done.

I don't know about that. The one thing the Redskins have going for them consistently is that they can outspend thirty other teams in the league. If Brown is the quality personnel guy that people around the league seem to believe, we should pay what it takes to keep our own talent in house.

Not saying he's not replaceable. But I think most people would probably agree we want a guy like Morocco Brown maybe player decisions over Bruce Allen.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 22, 2014 12:10 pm

This is not the management crisis that some seem to be making it out to be. There's simply not any info to support that. I doubt very much that money was the only motivator, on either side.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Countertrey wrote:This is not the management crisis that some seem to be making it out to be. There's simply not any info to support that. I doubt very much that money was the only motivator, on either side.

Not sure I've seen this painted as any kind of "management crisis". Just seems to be some debate about whether it was a good choice to let a talented personnel guy go or not. I think this debate is specific to Morocco Brown too. I doubt there are many other front office guys in Washington that would have raised an eyebrow like this.

To be fair to the Redskins, MB has interviewed for a couple of GM positions now and didn't land those jobs. So like you said, there isn't info to support that he is a guy the team absolutely HAD to keep.

Think its likely that Doug Williams will replace Brown? He's a Bruce Allen guy, Snyder obviously would love it, and it was never all that clear what Williams' job was when they brought him in here anyway.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Um... who?

Lol
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 22, 2014 6:53 pm

riggofan wrote: Think its likely that Doug Williams will replace Brown? He's a Bruce Allen guy, Snyder obviously would love it, and it was never all that clear what Williams' job was when they brought him in here anyway.

Williams... I don't know... I don't see it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am

riggofan wrote:Think its likely that Doug Williams will replace Brown? He's a Bruce Allen guy, Snyder obviously would love it, and it was never all that clear what Williams' job was when they brought him in here anyway.

What I've consistently read is that Williams will not replace him, because this job is for someone who can give 110+ hours a week, every week, and Williams is not that guy. Probably they will hire someone young and hungry.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football