This is a pretty amazing article about the name Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: This is a pretty amazing article about the name Redskins

Postby riggofan » Sat May 24, 2014 5:12 pm

yupchagee wrote:They aren't looking to distract voters with red herrings.

What a great point. I'm sure the letter was a giant ploy to try to sway the election. :roll:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 pm

riggofan wrote:
EA7649 wrote:On facebook it showed that Bruce Allen wrote a letter to the congress. And he kind of told them to shut it and let us be us. It was actually insightful. I don't know how much is subjective with him and Dan Snyder's thoughts are. But still...gonna still be "Redskins" spend your government money on something more important.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/letter-fr ... -allen.pdf

"Shut it and let us be us" is nsightful? lol.

I think Bruce and Dan just need to go out and prove once and for all that there is nothing wrong with the name Redskins. Here is what I propose. They will hold a banquet for a large group of Native Americans, representatives of several tribes in North America. Bruce and/or Dan will step to a podium and say, "Good evening, Redskins. We're here to explain why we intend to keep our team name. yadda yadda yadda yadda". Afterwards, there will be a meet and greet line where they can shake hands and warmly greet each person with: "Hello, Redskin."

If all goes well, none of the attendees will be offended by the former slur, and Bruce and Dan will have proven once and for all that there is no negative connotation to the name.

This doesn't really work, which you can see by proposing the same scenario but replacing "Redskin" with "Indian." "Hello, Indian." How stupid would that be? American Indian is an acceptable name, but it would just be bizarre to greet someone that way.

Or how about the Atlanta Braves? Their name is opposed by far fewer people, but it would be stupid/offensive to have a dinner and then greet everyone afterward saying "Hello, Brave." Or "Hello, Fighting Irish." Etc.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm

riggofan wrote:
EA7649 wrote:The letter was insightful. I was saying that was the purpose. The letter was insightful. Read it for yourself. Rather than be a smart a$$

I did read it, and I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. Allen repeated the same arguments the Redskins have always made about the name. I didn't find anything new in there, much less insightful. What was insightful about it?

This is what stood out to me:
““redskin” originated as a Native American expression of solidarity by multibal delegations that traveled to Washigton to negotiate Native American national policies. In a scholar of Native Americans words ‘The actual origin of the word (redskins) is entirely benign and reflects more positive aspects of relations between Indians and whites’”
"In 1971 the logo was approved by Native American leaders. A leader Walter “Blackie” Wetzel a former President of the National Congress of American Indians and Chairman of the Blackfeet Nation; words about the logo… It represents the Red Nation and it’s something to be proud of”
"90% of Native Americans don’t find it offensive. Red Mesa High School, Arizona, is the Redskins with our teams logo."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat May 24, 2014 7:01 pm

How on earth can anyone think that saying "hello Redskin!" to a Native American is a form of 'greeting' - that's a stupid suggestion

what on earth does that have to do with the name of our franchise - one does not call anyone 'a Redskin' - The Washington Redskins is simply a name of a sports franchise

the players on the Redskins are a part of the franchise they are not going to say "Hi fellow Redskin" to each other ... That is just S T U P I D
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:37 pm

SkinsJock wrote:How on earth can anyone think that saying "hello Redskin!" to a Native American is a form of 'greeting' - that's a stupid suggestion

what on earth does that have to do with the name of our franchise - one does not call anyone 'a Redskin' - The Washington Redskins is simply a name of a sports franchise

the players on the Redskins are a part of the franchise they are not going to say "Hi fellow Redskin" to each other ... That is just S T U P I D

Yeah I think it would make that would make it worse...and more controversy and arguments!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 25, 2014 8:37 am

yupchagee wrote:
fredp45 wrote:So...50 senators signed the letter to the Redskins...

49 Democrats, 1 Independent and NO Republicans...

Why is that?

Could they be busy doing "real" work?

Jeez!!!

They aren't looking to distract voters with red herrings.

Democrats love to be offended, they work hard at it
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:20 am

I find it a bit disconcerting that this crap keeps coming up. I find it more than completely disingenuous to in any way compare the Donald Sterling situation (whether you're talking about the recording in a vacuum or about the totality of Sterling's way of dealing with people over the entirety of his life) to our team's name. One has actually brought harm, insult and actively seeks to discredit, belittle and take advantage of minorities. The other one apparently became offensive 5 minutes ago.
Last edited by emoses14 on Mon May 26, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:31 am

Words have meaning and usage matters. I don't care what a dictionary's definition may say (e.g. the word sinister literally translates to of or on, the left or having to do with being left handed. Who in the world thinks of that when they hear sinister?), how a word is used matters. If you're in a bar, and say "Hey, look at that redskin!"; is anyone either turning around expecting a person of native american descent or chastising you for slander? Lemme answer that one, hell no. They're looking for a member of our football team, because that is the usage that is ubiquitous. No matter how many senators take 4 seconds out of their day to sign a letter, nor how many actually offended native american's fight against it, the fact of the matter is usage trumps.

This, coincidentally, is why the argument that redskin is like the n word is the biggest crock i've ever heard and is actually insulting to me.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun May 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Well put! -and great analogy!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 25, 2014 5:18 pm

emoses14 wrote:This, coincidentally, is why the argument that redskin is like the n word is the biggest crock i've ever heard and is actually insulting to me.

It is a crock. Most Indians are fine with the team name, no blacks would be OK with it. In fact, almost the exact percentage are against the Cleveland Indians and Kansas City Chiefs as the Washington Redskins. There are even Indian schools that use the term.

A good rule in life is not to take offense when none is intended. This would be just such a case.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon May 26, 2014 1:50 am

emoses14 wrote:Words have meaning and usage matters. I don't care what a dictionary's definition may say (e.g. the word sinister literally translates to of or on, the left or having to do with being left handed. Who in the world thinks of that when they hear sinister?), how a word is used matters. If you're in a bar, and say "Hey, look at that redskin!"; is anyone either turning around expecting a person of native american descent or chastising you for slander? Lemme answer that one, hell no. They're looking for a member of our football team, because that is the usage that is ubiquitous. No matter how many senators take 4 seconds out of their day to sign a letter, nor how many actually offended native american's fight against it, the fact of the matter is usage trumps.

This, coincidentally, is why the argument that redskin is like the n word is the biggest crock i've ever heard and is actually insulting to me.

A fine job indeed sir!
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Postby Gary Clark » Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Hey guys, 1st post.

I got to say, if the team changes the name I would no longer support the team ( fan since 1987 ) to me if you don't like the 80 year old name then don't support the team! the only way I'd support a name change is if they change it to the Washington football team. No logo,same colors. Hate liberalism....

Edit: lots of great posts here, it's totally opposite from ES (BS) what a cesspool that place is.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon May 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Gary Clark wrote:Hey guys, 1st post.
Great! Congrats, and Welcome! Please make sure that you visit the Welcome Wagon... review the rules (they are really just common sense) if you haven't already...

I got to say, if the team changes the name I would no longer support the team ( fan since 1987 ) to me if you don't like the 80 year old name then don't support the team! the only way I'd support a name change is if they change it to the Washington football team. No logo,same colors. Hate liberalism....
Understand and agree with the sentiment... but, it ends there. If extortion wins, I'm still a fan of the team that was the victim of it. Have been all my life... HTTR

Edit: lots of great posts here, it's totally opposite from ES (BS) what a cesspool that place is.
We like it... and work hard to keep it an open community with all opinions welcome.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon May 26, 2014 5:53 pm

I am most likely in the minority here, but I don't care what our Washington area football team is named. It can be the Redskins or whatever else and I don't really care. It's the team I love as it is my hometown team and will root for them until I die. I cannot tell someone when to and not to be offended about the name of a sports team. I will say that I have seen support for the team name from local tribes here in Virginia and to me that is what matters most. If our hometown tribes are on board then I think that should speak volumes as to us keeping the name Redskins.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 26, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't expect the name to be the Washington Redskins forever ...

it's a huge shame that it will most likely be changed for all the wrong and mostly asinine reasons ...

I will support the team based in Washington DC

anyone that thinks the name Redskins, as it applies to this franchise, is in the same context as the n word, is just uninformed
Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football