This is a pretty amazing article about the name Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
kazoo

Re: This is a pretty amazing article about the name Redskins

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I understand I wouldn't normally walk up to a person and say, "Hello, White Man." But if somebody said, prove to me that "White Man" is not an offensive slur, by walking up to the next caucasian on the street and saying "Hello, White Man" then I could do it.

Probably so, but I doubt you would say the same thing if you substituted Black for White in that scenario. Does that make Black an offensive slur?

From the sidelines I would say no ... That does not make black an offensive slur. On the other hand riggofan's original post along this line of reasoning suggested more the converse ... that were there no negative reaction that would prove the word in question is not an offensive slur.

I wouldn't walk up to a Norweigan and say "Hello Viking" either. Obviously how it was said would make a big difference, but the reason I would not say it is not that I would think a negative reaction is likely but that a negative reaction is possible. The left in this country has created a stick up their butt, PC culture that makes everyone afraid to say anything that could offend anyone. That is not the same as the belief that the word is offensive, it's recognition that some will take it that way no matter how it's said and our current culture of intolerance prevents us from going there. Think of all the things that would not offend most women that you wouldn't say until you know a woman. Or a gay or a black or any other group. PC intolerance rules.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:20 am

^^ You know Kaz, it'a kind of funny how the meanings of the words tolerance and intolerance have practically flipped ... much like the meanings of the words liberal and conservative.

Nowadays, I can think of many issues where the "liberal left" says "stay out of private lives," in other words, let's be conservative with the use of government power, while the "conservative right" says "you shouldn't be allowed to do that," in other words, let's be liberal with the use of government power.

I'm sure "market forces" will take care of the Redskin name one way or the other. Of course, "market forces" encompass a lot more than people buying stuff or not buying stuff.

Interesting. :-k
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:The left in this country has created a stick up their butt, PC culture that makes everyone afraid to say anything that could offend anyone.

#whitepeopleproblems

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 am

riggofan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:The left in this country has created a stick up their butt, PC culture that makes everyone afraid to say anything that could offend anyone.

#whitepeopleproblems

:shock: 8-[ :-"
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:14 am

DarthMonk wrote:^^ You know Kaz, it'a kind of funny how the meanings of the words tolerance and intolerance have practically flipped ... much like the meanings of the words liberal and conservative.

Nowadays, I can think of many issues where the "liberal left" says "stay out of private lives," in other words, let's be conservative with the use of government power, while the "conservative right" says "you shouldn't be allowed to do that," in other words, let's be liberal with the use of government power.

I'm sure "market forces" will take care of the Redskin name one way or the other. Of course, "market forces" encompass a lot more than people buying stuff or not buying stuff.

I totally agree with you that today the terms liberal and conservative really have nothing to do with describing their philosophies. There's certainly nothing liberal about political correctness which is about intolerance, not tolerance. And yeah, the conservative's positions are frequently not conservative at all.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 am

riggofan wrote:

#whitepeopleproblems

Don't forget #malepeopleproblems and #straightpeopleproblems. And you can ask George Zimmerman about #hispanicwithwhitenameproblems.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 am

What's REALLY amazing>>>

This thread closing on 7 pages...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:^^ You know Kaz, it'a kind of funny how the meanings of the words tolerance and intolerance have practically flipped ... much like the meanings of the words liberal and conservative.

I totally agree with you that today the terms liberal and conservative really have nothing to do with describing their philosophies. There's certainly nothing liberal about political correctness which is about intolerance, not tolerance. And yeah, the conservative's positions are frequently not conservative at all.

A lot of these positions aren't conservative vs liberal. They are libertarian vs statist. For example, communism is far left, but USSR & China were/are Very statist.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:56 pm

I think the longer this issue goes on, the more people will ignore it...the movement to change the name may have had some traction in the beginning, but just like Chicken Little claiming the sky's falling, eventually people realize the name Redskins (in the context of being a team name) was never meant as a derogatory term, making the entire issue a moot point...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football