2014 News out of OTAs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 am

As requested! Gotta say its weird that it looks like there might actually be real competition at the safety position just to make the roster.

Gruden on S Phillip Thomas: "He's just getting back in the flow." Had an impressive interception in practice today.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsbl ... -lost-time

Although Phillip Thomas did not play a single snap in 2013, the Redskins are hopeful the second-year safety can be a major contributor this season.

And it didn’t take long for Thomas to show why the team has such high hopes for him.

During Thursday’s OTA practice—the first session opened to the media this offseason—Thomas showed no ill effects from the season-ending Lisfranc injury he suffered last August.

He even made one of the day’s highlight reel plays.

About midway through the non-contact practice, Thomas jumped in front of a Colt McCoy pass and made a diving interception near the sideline.

The eye-popping pick elicited some applause and a few hollers from his teammates. More important, it grabbed the attention of Coach Jay Gruden.

“Phillip’s done a great job,” Gruden said afterward. “He had a great interception today. He’s just getting back in the flow and [defensive backs coach Raheem Morris] is working with him and doing a good. And between [Thomas] and [Brandon] Meriweather, we expect good things from that safety spot.”

Thomas later explained: “I’m just healthy now and I’m out there doing what comes naturally to me.”

Hog

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Sat May 31, 2014 11:43 am

I thought the news about Keenan Robinson might actually be the most significant thing to come out of OTAs so far. Seems like they are really thinking he can be the ILB guy.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsbl ... g-starters
Redskins linebacker Keenan Robinson hasn’t played in a football game in 18 months because of injuries to both of his pectoral muscles. But you wouldn’t know it by his performance so far in OTAs.

“We have high hopes for Keenan and we love the progress he’s making,” Coach Jay Gruden said. “Just from a short period of time, he’s one of the guys on the field that stand out [like], ‘Is that Keenan again?”

During Thursday’s OTA session, Robinson routinely lined up alongside Perry Riley as the other starting inside linebacker. Robinson will face competition from Darryl Sharpton, Akeem Jordan and possibly Adam Hayward, but it certainly seems as though he’s got the early edge.

Robinson also made the play calls, just as the recently retired London Fletcher did.

Still early, but if Fletcher's spot and the safety positions turn out to not be the big issues we've been concerned about, does that change your perception of the team?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 31, 2014 3:15 pm

You da man Riggo!! I see RGiii on sportscenter, then it's the ol name change debate on here smfh- thank you sir!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 pm

riggofan wrote:I thought the news about Keenan Robinson might actually be the most significant thing to come out of OTAs so far. Seems like they are really thinking he can be the ILB guy.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsbl ... g-starters
Redskins linebacker Keenan Robinson hasn’t played in a football game in 18 months because of injuries to both of his pectoral muscles. But you wouldn’t know it by his performance so far in OTAs.

“We have high hopes for Keenan and we love the progress he’s making,” Coach Jay Gruden said. “Just from a short period of time, he’s one of the guys on the field that stand out [like], ‘Is that Keenan again?”

During Thursday’s OTA session, Robinson routinely lined up alongside Perry Riley as the other starting inside linebacker. Robinson will face competition from Darryl Sharpton, Akeem Jordan and possibly Adam Hayward, but it certainly seems as though he’s got the early edge.

Robinson also made the play calls, just as the recently retired London Fletcher did.

Still early, but if Fletcher's spot and the safety positions turn out to not be the big issues we've been concerned about, does that change your perception of the team?

Yes A lot.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 pm

x2!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:35 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:You da man Riggo!! I see RGiii on sportscenter, then it's the ol name change debate on here smfh- thank you sir!

I know it man. I just need to tune out the name change stuff. Whatever is going to happen will happen.

It looks to me like there is some good stuff happening at OTAs right now. Just the fact that we have guys COMPETING for those safety positions kind of blows my mind.

Speaking of safeties, did anybody notice news on two of the biggest free agents that everybody was p***ed off we didn't sign? TJ Ward arrested in Denver for a strip club incident. And Jairus Byrd signed his big contract then immediately opted to have back surgery. LMFAO. Obviously not saying those guys won't be good for those teams, but still... What would fans be saying right now if we'd blown our whole FA wad on Byrd and he misses OTAs for back surgery? That's crazy.

Players who were returning kicks last week: Lache Seastrunk, Chris Thompson, Nick Williams, Andre Roberts and Rashad Ross. What do you think?

Two players I'm really curious about headed into training camp: LeRib and Minnifield. I don't know, just both guys I would still like to see prove themselves and earn a roster spot. Sounds like Minnifield is playing with a chip on his shoulder so far.

Btw it must suck to google yourself when you are LeRib. The first result I was getting is "josh leribeus out of shape".

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 am

riggofan wrote: Btw it must suck to google yourself when you are LeRib. The first result I was getting is "josh leribeus out of shape".

Yeah... perhaps...

on the other hand, he did it to himself. Can't feel bad for him.
Hope he steps it up.

I'm REALLY pulling for Minnefield... if he can turn out to his potential, we could be looking at one deep set of quality DB's... who'da thunk it?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:26 am

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote: Btw it must suck to google yourself when you are LeRib. The first result I was getting is "josh leribeus out of shape".

Yeah... perhaps...

Hope he steps it up.

I'm REALLY pulling for Minnefield... if he can turn out to his potential, we could be looking at one deep set of quality DB's... who'da thunk it?

Same, man. These were Keim's notes on Minnifield from OTAs if you missed it:

Corner Chase Minnifield will get into a lot of tussles this camp – a safe prediction. He nearly got into one with tight end Niles Paul Thursday. Minnifield is physical and feisty and that will never please those running routes in practice. This time, Minnifield was grabbing Paul on the entire route and at the end Paul shoved him. Minnifield bounced up and shoved him back. It didn’t escalate.

Minnifield did pick off a Kirk Cousins pass in zone coverage. Minnifield sank deep on the route and grabbed a pass that was intended for Williams.

He's two years off the injury now, right?

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 pm

riggofan wrote:It looks to me like there is some good stuff happening at OTAs right now. Just the fact that we have guys COMPETING for those safety positions kind of blows my mind.

Totally. Not just at safety, but all DBs, along the lines and at MLB. It's refreshing that there's competition to see who's BEST, where we've previously had competition to see who is "good enough" to hold down the spot till the offseason.

As a first year HC, I feel like Gruden has a much better handle on things than Zorn did.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:12 pm

riggofan wrote: Same, man. These were Keim's notes on Minnifield from OTAs if you missed it:

Corner Chase Minnifield will get into a lot of tussles this camp – a safe prediction. He nearly got into one with tight end Niles Paul Thursday. Minnifield is physical and feisty and that will never please those running routes in practice. This time, Minnifield was grabbing Paul on the entire route and at the end Paul shoved him. Minnifield bounced up and shoved him back. It didn’t escalate.

Minnifield did pick off a Kirk Cousins pass in zone coverage. Minnifield sank deep on the route and grabbed a pass that was intended for Williams.

That's great... looks like he's got his old man's attitude... that kind of tenacity will crawl into a receiver's head... and force mistakes. I like it. Haslett loves that stuff, too... There will be more of those events... especially with receivers who are on the edge of a visit from the Turk... I have a feeling that Minnefield will be a very pleasant surprise. I LOVE aggressive, physical DB's...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote: Same, man. These were Keim's notes on Minnifield from OTAs if you missed it:

That's great... looks like he's got his old man's attitude... that kind of tenacity will crawl into a receiver's head... and force mistakes. I like it. Haslett loves that stuff, too... There will be more of those events... especially with receivers who are on the edge of a visit from the Turk... I have a feeling that Minnefield will be a very pleasant surprise. I LOVE aggressive, physical DB's...

This type of attitude is exactly what the Redskins have been missing - not only talk trash but be physical with the receivers, I love it. Go Minnifield

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm

riggofan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Yeah... perhaps...

Hope he steps it up.

Same, man. These were Keim's notes on Minnifield from OTAs if you missed it:

Keep em coming Riggo! Ive missed them all!!
I want more of that stuff right there!
I too am (still) pulling for Chase, he's had a chip on his shoulder since he fell to us as an Udfa if I recall. He wants to show the other 31 teams hat they passed up- well here here let's show em! :twisted:

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Hooligan wrote:
riggofan wrote:It looks to me like there is some good stuff happening at OTAs right now. Just the fact that we have guys COMPETING for those safety positions kind of blows my mind.

Totally. Not just at safety, but all DBs, along the lines and at MLB. It's refreshing that there's competition to see who's BEST, where we've previously had competition to see who is "good enough" to hold down the spot till the offseason.

As a first year HC, I feel like Gruden has a much better handle on things than Zorn did.

Plus, Gruden has a playbook. I'm honestly not sure Zorn did when he took the job. I'm pretty sure he no audibles and the play calls in the huddle had no protections.

:shock:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 am

Countertrey wrote:

From what I've been reading, we have a few feisty little DBs on the roster. I love it! Hoping that DHall is encouraging more of it out of them; he's done a good job of helping keep the team together. Now its just a matter of making the entire defense a bunch of nasty little shi!ts :) Kinda like how DHall is with Dez...just make the opposition so crazy, they're rendered useless :twisted:

I'm really pulling for Minnifield; I still think he's one of the better DB sleepers.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 am

I don't know who SON OF WASHINGTON is on Twitter, but some great comments from today's open practice. Just a couple you guys might be interested in:

BOLD Statement: Keenan Robinson has the best coverage skills of any redskins ILB since Antonio Pierce #HTTR impressed

Raheem Morris is loving what he is seeing from Bashaud Breeland. He's jumping up and down lol #HTTR gotta love Raheem

Ben Kotwica (ST coach) is a BOSS out there. Really commanding presence - putting people in their place

Morgan Moses taking snaps with first team. So is Adam Gettis

Robert Malone is going to win the punter competition - even his bad punts look good

This is interesting Kedrick Golston seeing time on the DL in various positions. Moving him around

Some RB news...Seastrunk NOT getting snaps as the 3rd down back. It's Helu and Royster

https://twitter.com/SonofWashington

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football