Post Draft NFC East Projections

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Post Draft NFC East Projections

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:53 am

We had a three win season coming off of winning the division pretty easily, with one major difference between the 2. Healthy rgiii. He's healthy now, so not sure why winning the division should be hard because we had 3 wins last year. That's simplistic, but then again, simplistic is how some of us see everything with the skins.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 am

Not to knock the pessimistic/realistic views, but I'm a fan. I'm optimistic every season until the team proves me wrong. 10 wins.

Btw I think John Clayton said it pretty well in his mailbag column the other day:

If RG III comes back with a strong season, I think the Eagles and Redskins are the teams to beat in the NFC East, with Philadelphia having the edge.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:53 am

not knocking the fans that see us winning the division this far out - just looking at it as being we were not so great with a healthy Robert and we were not so bad as we saw last season - winning consistently and having the best team in the NFC East will take more than 1 season especially with the O line issues we have had

we shall see :lol:

btw - Robert will show that he's a more effective QB than even some here think - we have not seen this kid play as well as he's capable .... yet :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:59 am

SkinsJock wrote:btw - Robert will show that he's a more effective QB than even some here think - we have not seen this kid play as well as he's capable .... yet :D

I'm with you, man. He far surpassed my expectations as a rookie. I think he's coming in this year with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. All the bad vibes with Shanahan are gone.

Oh, and he's throwing to DeSean Jackson AND Pierre Garcon this year.

We'll find out in 96 days. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am

emoses14 wrote:We had a three win season coming off of winning the division pretty easily, with one major difference between the 2. Healthy rgiii. He's healthy now, so not sure why winning the division should be hard because we had 3 wins last year. That's simplistic, but then again, simplistic is how some of us see everything with the skins.

simplistic is feeling like we're going to have an effective/decent O line - that takes time

and

that the defense is going to be a force again when we have so many issues in the secondary and who is going to be the defensive play caller replacing Fletcher

anything is possible but some here are way too confident a long way out from the season - I'll be happy if we make huge improvements but I'm not convinced at this time
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:47 am

I think what u are missing SJ, is that this team won the division only 2 years ago despite Shanny giving up on them. That's another debate, but the FACT is we are a better team then we were then with upgrades across the board.

To me our secondary on paper looks formidable enough (with hopes of some surprises this year in Thomas, Jackson, Minefield, and Clark) and Fletcher?? He was a liability last year! Early reports are he won't be missed- from his last years form of course

There's nothin wrong with us getting pumped about a solid off-season and excited about all the reports coming out of camp that things are looking bright. All of our opponents have gotten weaker- Dallas is in shambles, NYG has some big issues, and at the very least Philly has lost their best wr!

A lot of football people are rating our WR core as THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE. So being optimistic this early is founded, wouldn't you say? I understand the restraint tho man, we all know how many off-season trophies we have...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:00 pm

SkinsJock wrote:simplistic is feeling like we're going to have an effective/decent O line - that takes time

I'll buy that, but the d-line is basically the same we've had for the past two or three years, isn't it? Just added Jason Hatcher? Even the o-line looks like we're maybe changing two starters at most. Same d-coordinator. Same offensive line coach. They're not really starting from scratch there.

ILB and the secondary seem like the biggest question marks. Its hard to guess with any confidence how that might play out this year. If I was betting right now, I'd still guess that we'll be a bottom half of the league team on defense. (Hopefully that means we're like #16 or #17 and not #32!!!)

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:41 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:btw - Robert will show that he's a more effective QB than even some here think - we have not seen this kid play as well as he's capable .... yet :D

I'm with you, man. He far surpassed my expectations as a rookie. I think he's coming in this year with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. All the bad vibes with Shanahan are gone.

Oh, and he's throwing to DeSean Jackson AND Pierre Garcon this year.

We'll find out in 96 days. :)

See, I've been saying this for a few months now to friends and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I agree that fact is what is going to drive him to blow the doors off this season.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:50 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I think what u are missing SJ, is that this team won the division only 2 years ago despite Shanny giving up on them. That's another debate, but the FACT is we are a better team then we were then with upgrades across the board.

To me our secondary on paper looks formidable enough (with hopes of some surprises this year in Thomas, Jackson, Minefield, and Clark) and Fletcher?? He was a liability last year! Early reports are he won't be missed- from his last years form of course

There's nothin wrong with us getting pumped about a solid off-season and excited about all the reports coming out of camp that things are looking bright. All of our opponents have gotten weaker- Dallas is in shambles, NYG has some big issues, and at the very least Philly has lost their best wr!

A lot of football people are rating our WR core as THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE. So being optimistic this early is founded, wouldn't you say? I understand the restraint tho man, we all know how many off-season trophies we have...

That's where my heart is in this matter, brother. Something "came alive" in these guys in 2012, and it wasn't Shanny's doing; these guys found a way to pull themselves together, and even this terrible oline we've all grown to "adore" was looking good. I think they were completely done with Shanny come 2013. The reports of players singing in the locker room about Shanny being expected to be fired testifies to that.

Now they have a young coach who tells them like it is. Anyone who has ever worked for someone that doesn't give you proper feedback should understand how that affects your psyche. You never know where you stand with that person, and eventually, even if you know you're doing your job, you just lose heart.

I think with Gruden & the OC the team loves/respects is taking making a big difference. Think about what DJax said when he came here...essentially saying he felt like he was at home. Interpretation: these guys are once again a family; they're united.

Add into that some good upgrades, developing players, and new ST guys, and there's reason to have hope again.

Realistically, I think we could go 10-6 this year with the division win. I think this year, its the Giants that will be the team to beat in our division (had a couple good defensive signing in FA). Cowboys have too many injuries, and lost some good players. The Eagles lost DJax, and I'm thinking Maclin is going to go down this year too.

All I want this year is improvement, and I'm confident we'll see it.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

emoses14 wrote:See, I've been saying this for a few months now to friends and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I agree that fact is what is going to drive him to blow the doors off this season.

I hear you, man. It should be obvious to anybody who follows him that RGIII is extremely driven. That's what led him to come back too early from the knee surgery in the first place, if you think about it. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't come out of the gate strong and remind everyone quickly how he played in 2012.

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:20 pm

riggofan wrote:
emoses14 wrote:See, I've been saying this for a few months now to friends and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I agree that fact is what is going to drive him to blow the doors off this season.

I hear you, man. It should be obvious to anybody who follows him that RGIII is extremely driven. That's what led him to come back too early from the knee surgery in the first place, if you think about it. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't come out of the gate strong and remind everyone quickly how he played in 2012.

Yeah, and it was hard not to be on board with that. I'll just speak for myself, but I was all about the "all in" campaign. It was risky, but I think we got lucky, and it was beneficial for him. You could see improvements as the year went on (which I think was him working through the mental aspects of the injury).

My thoughts are that this year, we'll have a healthy Bob w/ less of the mental injury. We came out on top with last year's risk...just don't want to have to do it again :)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I think what u are missing SJ, is that this team won the division only 2 years ago despite Shanny giving up on them. That's another debate, but the FACT is we are a better team then we were then with upgrades across the board.

:shock: you're obviously a little biased .... have fun with it - I'll come back to this, count on it

HAIL

Currently 50-41

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 am

We win this division with ease if RG3 truly is healthy. If RG3 returns to form he will mask most or any of the weaknesses we may have on offense.

If RG3 is about 80 percent then we will have to depend on Alf, Oline and we will need our defense to be at least top 15 in scoring defense to win the division. We would have to depend mostly on Alfred Morris and timely playaction passes. Not to mention our defense would have to come up with some timely stops and turnovers.

But if RG3 is fully healthy. We could just have a high powered offense and a lowly defense and still win.

On offense we have some weapons all over the field. Garcon and Jackson have to be two of the fastest in the league. Our TE situation looks really nice. Oh and Alfred Morris is as reliable as any back in this league. On the Oline we can at least say we have a Pro Bowl left tackle one of the best in the league.

All this just to say my prediction is we win the division. The rest of the NFC has gone down hill in a huge way. Dallas has gotten old and lost all of the players on a bad defense. Tony Hobo is one hit away from retirement. Jerry Jones and company are just bozos.
The Giants really bad. That once stellar DLine is now old and most of the players from those SB wins are on other teams now past their prime. The smeagols will be the team that gives us the hardest time. They still boast a very high powered offense. If our defense still fails to improve then we are in for a long day against the Iggles.

Either way 10-6 with the division title. We have to play the NFC West this year which is going to be a good test for us.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:13 am

Never anything easy about winning the division. Healthy RGIII or not, I'm sure we'll have ups and downs.

Last year was just the "perfect storm" in so many ways. Just about everything that could possibly go wrong for us did. I don't have any doubt that we will be much improved this year, and I'm going to believe we're in contention for the division until they break my heart and prove me wrong. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am

riggofan wrote:Never anything easy about winning the division. Healthy RGIII or not, I'm sure we'll have ups and downs.

Last year was just the "perfect storm" in so many ways. Just about everything that could possibly go wrong for us did. I don't have any doubt that we will be much improved this year, and I'm going to believe we're in contention for the division until they break my heart and prove me wrong.

I agree with this - I don't look at this season based on last season or the 2012 season ...

IMO - Robert under Scott and Jay will be a more effective QB than we've seen in either season - I agree that last season was bad for so many reasons and that the changes will be for the better - I'm just concerned that we have a lot of work to do to build the depth and the continuity

I'll be hoping we can overcome the difficulties but it's not a matter of just adding better players and thinking that things are going to be much better

for those that hope Robert is going to be healthy or that he can play like he did in 2012 - Robert will be fine health wise - the only thing that you will see that can be compared to what he did in 2012 is that he'll be the QB - he will be a different QB than we've seen the past 2 seasons and he'll be more effective - Scott and Jay will utilize his talents and his weapons differently than Mike and Kyle did

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football