Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Are we assuming that our drafting Seastrunk is somehow RGIII's doing?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Its not like every round/pick equates to a starter..
I think some people are unrealistic. If we gain 2 starters and any more of our pics make the final 53- then we have done really well with the draft, especially lacking a first round pick.

We have no idea what the coaches see in our tenured guys, nor how they evaluated our needs. Main reason FANS don't control the draft board lmao.

For instance- Keenan Robinson appears to be in beastmode having a stellar camp. What good would it have been if we threw away our top pick on an ilb to be sitting on the bench behind him?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Its not like every round/pick equates to a starter..
I think some people are unrealistic. If we gain 2 starters and any more of our pics make the final 53- then we have done really well with the draft, especially lacking a first round pick.

We have no idea what the coaches see in our tenured guys, nor how they evaluated our needs. Main reason FANS don't control the draft board lmao.

For instance- Keenan Robinson appears to be in beastmode having a stellar camp. What good would it have been if we threw away our top pick on an ilb to be sitting on the bench behind him?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Overall I thought our F.O.s approach was strange. How we didnt draft an ILB has me scratching my head.

I don't think its really that much of a head scratcher. If we'd had a first round pick and had the opportunity to grab some ridiculous talent to be our new starting ILB, it might have been worth a look. But we already have a log jam of "guys" at that position right now including Keenan Robinson who we spent a fourth round pick on two years ago.

I'm not really sure that not taking a rookie MLB with a third round pick this year was a big miss this year.

They seem to like Robinson. Hopefully he stays healthy and delivers.

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:50 pm

I to was left scratching my head. Murphy is a high character, high motor guy. His natural talent is limited. He may already be near his ceiling. With 2 PB'ers ahead of him, he will have trouble getting snaps. I don't follow NCAA much, But it is hard for me to believe there were no DB's or ILB's worth taking in the 2nd round. I would not have picked a WR. Given our depth there, he will be doing well just to make the team. Same with RB.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 pm

emoses14 wrote:Are we assuming that our drafting Seastrunk is somehow RGIII's doing?

Aparently, he was texting Gruden during the draft to pick Lache.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Deadskins wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:How did they draft Murphy who was a projected third rounder in the second?

Projected by who? Obviously, not our FO. And that's the only projection that matters.

Im not knocking Murphy. I think Murphy is a fine player. I also think he is probably worthy of a 2nd round pick.

I am trying to point out that we had huge glaring needs in other positions. ILB,S, OL and DL.

But whats your argument DS? You cant seriously think our F.O. is one of the best in talent evaluation. I would say our F.O. is about mediocre in evaluating talent. Thats all I am saying.

I am happy we acquired some talent. But this is the fourth year of Allen who I do like. I just think that the whole scouting department needs to keep improving.

Seattle is consistently taking late round picks and hitting on almost all of their draft picks. That is the level our F.O. needs to be at in order for us to win another SB. From top to bottom.

I have seen a huge improvement over Vinny and that I am thankful for. But its been four years now since Vinny has been gone and we need to see more improvement. I know its the first year of Jay.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Overall I thought our F.O.s approach was strange. How we didnt draft an ILB has me scratching my head.

I have always thought that if we have a solid starter in one position we should find starters in other positions of need before we look for depth.

That's a great way to be a constantly mediocre team

I already know you prefer the pick the best player available approach. Which is fine with me. Problem is I dont think our F.O. does that approach well.

For me its not about draft philosophy. Best player availble vs drafting for position of need.

Its about executing the plan you have to the utmost. Which I feel was not done. You have teams who can draft for need like Pittsburg consistently does.

How is Seattle turning late round picks into Pro Bowlers? At the same time filling the whole roster with talent.

Dont get me wrong guys. I have seen improvement from Vinny Cs time. But its been four years now. We need to see more improvement from the scouting department and in the draft.

Alfred Morris is probably the best late round pick we have had in recent drafts. We need to see more. Its critical that we start hitting on a majority of our draft picks. While RG3 and Alf are young.
Theres more work to be done. Hail to the Redskins.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:44 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I have always thought that if we have a solid starter in one position we should find starters in other positions of need before we look for depth.

Just wanted to point out that there are teams who successfully execute both philosophies. Best player available vs drafting for need. Some teams do a mixture of both.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I already know you prefer the pick the best player available approach. Which is fine with me. Problem is I dont think our F.O. does that approach well.

For me its not about draft philosophy. Best player availble vs drafting for position of need.

Its about executing the plan you have to the utmost. Which I feel was not done. You have teams who can draft for need like Pittsburg consistently does.

How is Seattle turning late round picks into Pro Bowlers? At the same time filling the whole roster with talent.

Dont get me wrong guys. I have seen improvement from Vinny Cs time. But its been four years now. We need to see more improvement from the scouting department and in the draft.

Alfred Morris is probably the best late round pick we have had in recent drafts. We need to see more. Its critical that we start hitting on a majority of our draft picks. While RG3 and Alf are young.
Theres more work to be done. Hail to the Redskins.

My philosophy is to draft the player who will help the team the most. With 2 PB OLB's on roster, that is not likely to be an OLB.
Skins fan since '55

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:45 am

HEROHAMO wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:How did they draft Murphy who was a projected third rounder in the second?

Projected by who? Obviously, not our FO. And that's the only projection that matters.

Im not knocking Murphy. I think Murphy is a fine player. I also think he is probably worthy of a 2nd round pick.

I am trying to point out that we had huge glaring needs in other positions. ILB,S, OL and DL.

But whats your argument DS? You cant seriously think our F.O. is one of the best in talent evaluation. I would say our F.O. is about mediocre in evaluating talent. Thats all I am saying.

My argument is that you say he was a projected third rounder, and I just want to know who's projecting him as such. If the people making these projections were as good or better at this that the 32 FOs in the league, then they would probably be working for one of those 32 instead. Certainly teams reach for players all the time, but maybe that's because they think someone else is going to snag the player before they can. Our FO obviously thought Murphy was a 2nd round talent, and had him ranked higher than Moses, who a lot of these "projectors" wanted us to take with the 34th pick.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:08 am

yupchagee wrote:My philosophy is to draft the player who will help the team the most. With 2 PB OLB's on roster, that is not likely to be an OLB.

What do we need Jordon Reed for? We have Fred Davis as our pass catching tight end. Wasting a fourth rounder on Kirk Cousins? Wow, what a waste of a pick.

On the other hand, wow, we needed receivers. Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas were serious need picks at tight end.

You win with strengths, not mediocrity.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am

Deadskins wrote:My argument is that you say he was a projected third rounder, and I just want to know who's projecting him as such. If the people making these projections were as good or better at this that the 32 FOs in the league, then they would probably be working for one of those 32 instead.

Yep, the whole "he was a projected X rounder" becomes worthless 2 minutes after the draft is complete unless you place more value in the opinion of Todd McShay than of Jay Gruden.

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:24 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:My philosophy is to draft the player who will help the team the most. With 2 PB OLB's on roster, that is not likely to be an OLB.

What do we need Jordon Reed for? We have Fred Davis as our pass catching tight end. Wasting a fourth rounder on Kirk Cousins? Wow, what a waste of a pick.

On the other hand, wow, we needed receivers. Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas were serious need picks at tight end.

You win with strengths, not mediocrity.

You make some valid points, however, there were better WR's available than those we picked (1 of whom we recently signed). Kelly & Thomas had MAJOR durability issues. I don't know how much they knew about durability & off field issues before making some of these picks.
Skins fan since '55

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football