2014 News out of OTAs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Nice! Sounds like RGIII was starting to get his groove back a little bit today...

12:20—An hour and five minutes in we got the play of the day. Griffin zipped a throw to Jackson, who was about 15 yards past the line of scrimmage near the sideline. Rookie Bashaud Breeland was in coverage but he couldn’t quite knock the ball away. Jackson grabbed it and went down the sideline for the touchdown.

12:30—Another long TD pass for Griffin. This one went to Reed who got past both Ryan Clark and Brandon Meriweather. Overall, a better day for the quarterback than the one he had last week. He was much more accurate and, perhaps, more in synch with his receivers.

Clark doesn’t call the defenses—that job belongs to Mike linebacker Keenan Robinson—but he is a constant stream of chatter mixing in keys and encouragement both before and after the snap.

12:35—Rookie receiver Ryan Grant got a good number of snaps with the first unit, which may or may not mean much of anything here in early June. But he did catch the last long TD pass of the day. He beat rookie free agent corner Blake Sailors and Griffin hit him in stride.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Hooligan wrote:I just watched Gruden's latest OTA press conference and I'm pretty stoked about our HC. Listening him talk, I hear confidence, competence, and leadership. Gruden really seems to have his act together. He knows what he wants from the team and how to get there. He seems to have a great understanding of the game, players, positions, scheme, and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. He doesn't seem over his head one bit, and I'm anxious for the joint practice with the Patriots.

We haven't hit the field yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've felt this same way since his first presser as well.. I'm not even omg the team bit I'd rather go to war w him over a dictator like shannaclan any day. I think most teams have talent and good enough players... getting their all and keeping them motivated is what any good coach/ manager needs to do. Mike gave up on the team 2 years ago w his "evaluation" mode, and the team peeled off 7 straight wins in spite of him. This tells me we have the pieces just need the leadership.
I know it's the off-season but a lot kfc good bas transpired ans j m extremely optimistic about our future as well!

HTTR
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:40 pm

riggofan wrote:Nice! Sounds like RGIII was starting to get his groove back a little bit today...

12:20—An hour and five minutes in we got the play of the day. Griffin zipped a throw to Jackson, who was about 15 yards past the line of scrimmage near the sideline. Rookie Bashaud Breeland was in coverage but he couldn’t quite knock the ball away. Jackson grabbed it and went down the sideline for the touchdown.

12:30—Another long TD pass for Griffin. This one went to Reed who got past both Ryan Clark and Brandon Meriweather. Overall, a better day for the quarterback than the one he had last week. He was much more accurate and, perhaps, more in synch with his receivers.

Clark doesn’t call the defenses—that job belongs to Mike linebacker Keenan Robinson—but he is a constant stream of chatter mixing in keys and encouragement both before and after the snap.

12:35—Rookie receiver Ryan Grant got a good number of snaps with the first unit, which may or may not mean much of anything here in early June. But he did catch the last long TD pass of the day. He beat rookie free agent corner Blake Sailors and Griffin hit him in stride.

I thought he already got his groove back? :twisted:
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Hooligan wrote:I just watched Gruden's latest OTA press conference and I'm pretty stoked about our HC. Listening him talk, I hear confidence, competence, and leadership. Gruden really seems to have his act together. He knows what he wants from the team and how to get there. He seems to have a great understanding of the game, players, positions, scheme, and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. He doesn't seem over his head one bit, and I'm anxious for the joint practice with the Patriots.

We haven't hit the field yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've felt this same way since his first presser as well.. I'm not even omg the team bit I'd rather go to war w him over a dictator like shannaclan any day. I think most teams have talent and good enough players... getting their all and keeping them motivated is what any good coach/ manager needs to do. Mike gave up on the team 2 years ago w his "evaluation" mode, and the team peeled off 7 straight wins in spite of him. This tells me we have the pieces just need the leadership.
I know it's the off-season but a lot kfc good bas transpired ans j m extremely optimistic about our future as well!

HTTR

+1 and especially that part about "evaluation" mode

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 am

Glad u could make some sense of that Kilmer... my bad about the auto correct. New phone has the auto drag and type and I tend to not lift my fingers high enough smh

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 am

On LeRib:

—Josh LeRibeus, a 2012 third-round pick, faces an uphill battle to make the roster. But it appears that he is in good shape and is giving it his best shot. ““LeRibeus has done good. He came in and his weight was down. He’s in good shape and he’s made some improvements from what I saw last year. You know I don’t have a lot of history with him obviously, just what I’ve seen this year, but he does look a lot better this time of year this year than he did last year from what I hear, but he’s doing well.”

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:02 am

Some good stuff on Gruden following OTAs. I like this key piece:

I also like that Gruden will incorporate past concepts that worked. You don’t always see that from a new coach, who wants to run his stuff only. One thing that’s noticeable with Gruden is that he doesn’t coach with an ego, willing to let coordinators do their job and to take input offensively (his expertise). Players and coaches feel like they have a lot of input (and are trusted). Again, time will tell if this approach works but if he succeeds it will be a big reason why. That and an improved pass rush, fewer turnovers and a highly productive Griffin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... s-comments

Doesn't coach with an ego kind of stands out to me.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:07 pm

On the plus side, there are no worries about quarterback Robert Griffin III this time around.
Throughout the non-mandatory practice sessions Griffin has looked like the quarterback Washington fans saw in his rookie season with the team. Working without a brace, he dropped in the pocket, stepped up, fired with all his weight on his back foot and scrambled like there had never been anything wrong with his knee.
“Like I said you deal with the hand that you’re dealt,” said Griffin. “I had to wear the brace last year, had to come off an injury last year and this year I don’t — and I thank God for that — and [now I] play to that hand

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -practice/

I know this one is 2 days old but, this article was new to me today. I like hearing he is looking like his old self.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:55 am

I like hearing that he looks like his NEW self!!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am

Good comment from Rich Tandler coming out of OTAs. I'm sure we have thought about and discussed this some here over the past two years:

On the other hand, you have to wonder how much of a favor Shanahan did the Redskins having Robert Griffin III run the read option so much when he was a rookie. Sure, it got the Redskins a division title and RG3 earned a ton of individual accolades. But it cost him a year of development into a pocket passer and then last year his development was hampered by his knee injury. It’s not as though Griffin is like a rookie this year but he’s going to have to learn a lot of stuff that he should have been learning the last two years. The decision to use Griffin as they did seems to be a case of short-term gain for long-term pain.

Does this temper your expectations for RGIII at all this year? I would say if RGIII is really learning how to be an NFL QB, coaches preparing him to be the franchise QB we all hope he will be, then I will be ok if there are some short term growing pains.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Yes and no.. wjtht the weapons he has around him I expect them to gain momentum and feed off each other.. RGiii doesn't want to be the weak link so I count on him putting in the work to bridge any skill gaps.
We will see big plays, big drives, and he will just get better and better.. I see him saluting Diax and I see him patting his chest acknowledging it was his bad and saying I got you.. next play making up for it.
Might he be better now had we not ran the option? Who knows. He is still a third year qb and the game is sure to start slowing down. Maybe he gained valuable respect and confidence setting records as a rookie that he might not have? As he progresses in his pocket passing game that's just going to further him from the rest of the qbs. Be afraid, be VERY afraid!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:50 am

Hopefully the offensive line and the defense can show a lot of improvement but I fear that will take more than 1 season

I am looking for better chemistry between the QB and his HC and OC than I think he had with Mike & Kyle ... that plus the fact that he's had an off season
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Sounds like some competition at kicker today...

The place kickers competed head-to-head to conclude practice, but both kicked on Arena League goal posts (only nine feet apart, rather than the NFL’s 18 feet, 6 inches in width). Kai Forbath made one of three attempts, nailing a 44-yarder, but missing a 37-yarder and 50-yarder – both of which seemed likely to have gone through standard uprights. Meanwhile, Zach Hocker made all three field goals on the AFL uprights, with makes from 37, 44 and 50 yards out.

Btw I don't envy those guys out there in the heat today.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:40 pm

I haven't read through what was said on this post. I will later. But, I wanted to show an article saying winners and losers of the teams OTA's. I think the bad out weighs the good imo. 2 injury prone players are the good out of 3. And our special teams and oline could be disappointing if players don't step up! Thoughts? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099 ... son-so-far

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Hatcher had a minor knee injury according to csnwashington. He will be out 6 weeks. But he feels its nothing big and that he'll be in mini camp in July
http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsbl ... nee-scoped

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football