Kaepernick's Value

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Kaepernick's Value

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 11, 2014 9:34 am

I'm pretty low on Kaepernick. I'd take any of the 2012 draft pick starters over him (yes, even Tannehill), and most well respected vets. Stafford, Romo, Cutler, Roethlisberger . . . really any of the well-regarded pocket passers, plus all of the other QBs who are seen as better. Give any of those guys the variety of tools the 49ers have had, and I think they do at least as well.

(If we are talking about right now and not building a team, that is — otherwise players like Manning, Brady, Rogers, etc. start to look less appealing.)

By my estimates that puts Kaepernick at about 15-20th. So, yeah, I guess I don't think very highly of him. :)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I'm pretty low on Kaepernick. I'd take any of the 2012 draft pick starters over him (yes, even Tannehill), and most well respected vets. Stafford, Romo, Cutler, Roethlisberger . . . really any of the well-regarded pocket passers, plus all of the other QBs who are seen as better. Give any of those guys the variety of tools the 49ers have had, and I think they do at least as well.

(If we are talking about right now and not building a team, that is — otherwise players like Manning, Brady, Rogers, etc. start to look less appealing.)

By my estimates that puts Kaepernick at about 15-20th. So, yeah, I guess I don't think very highly of him. :)

FFA - I see your point but don't you agree that a QBs value can be 'measured' by both what he means to the team & offense he plays with and by his individual talent

IMO Colin is a good QB but so are a lot of those guys - some would not be as good in offenses or with teams that don't suit them - but that's the way it is

IMO - Robert's first 2 seasons are not indicative of his real value - he will soon show the QB ability that he really is capable of ...

I'm looking forward to this a lot
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:22 pm

well it looks like someone else likes Colin K as a QB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... llion-deal

I love it - :lol:

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm

SkinsJock wrote:well it looks like someone else likes Colin K as a QB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... llion-deal

I love it - :lol:

Interesting contract:

Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

Colin Kaepernick's new contract is a year-to-year deal.

Armchair GMs that spent Wednesday bashing the 49ers for the "$126 million" deal with "$61 million guaranteed" need to click the link below (above).

Essentially, the Niners can cut Kaepernick before April 1 of each year without owing any more money -- so the actual guarantee is just $13 million ($12.3M signing bonus, $645K '14 base salary, $100K '14 workout bonus). There is also a de-escalator in the contract that can only be halted if Kaepernick takes the team to the Super Bowl or he is named first- or second-team All-Pro.

A source tells Pro Football Talk that San Francisco is "thrilled" with the pact.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com Jun 5 - 8:31 AM

PS - anyone still wondering what my point was, or what I was trying to get at, or why I started this thread? Seems his team was pretty interested in his value. Geez.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 pm

I have no idea what your point was... nor what it is now.

Just how it is. Geez
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:05 am

Man, when did "guaranteed money" come to mean "not guaranteed money"? Seems like a recent innovation in the NFL.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Countertrey wrote:I have no idea what your point was... nor what it is now.

Just how it is. Geez

Looks like the San Francisco 49ers front office got it !! Looks like quite the negotiation went on concerning his value. I suppose it was pretty strange of me to start a thread about a guy on another team in the NFL in the Around the League forum after some of his colleagues got monster contracts and his took a while to hammer out and ends up being quite unique in its structure. Silly me.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'm thinking a lot of QBs could have taken the 49ers pretty deep the last 2 years.

Which of these guys is just as good or better than Kap? I know Kap moves better than almost all if not all of them but I saw him not see wide open guys in the end zone in the Super Bowl a year ago and I saw him throw some ugly picks in crunch time in the title game this past year.

No way I'm giving Kap the old $100 M for 5 years.

I totally disagree with you - IMO Colin is a good fit for that coach and that franchise

he's 'worth' over a $100M to them and that's all that counts

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:he's 'worth' over a $100M to them and that's all that counts

From the actual terms of the contract, he's only worth that much if he wins SBs, gets named 1st or 2nd team All-Pro, and they want to keep paying him every year for seven years. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am

Colin Kaepernick is worth more than some here think and he will continue to show that on the field each year

I could care less about what a QB makes or his 'value' compared to other QBs - QBs are measured by what they do, not what they make

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Deadskins wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Very few Qbs I would rather have then Kap.
Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Breez and Andrew Luck. Thats about it.

RGIII?

LOL! Sorry bout that. But in all honesty I Love RG3 and am thankful we have him. But Kap is virtually the same guy with more durability and size.

What I like about RG3 over Kap is RG3 makes better descisions in the big time moments. For example the NFC Championship game vs the Hawks. Kap threw that pass to Crabtree even though Crabtree was well covered. While I think RG3 would of went elsewhere or had taken off with the ball.

After thinking it through. Id go with RG3 over Kap. But Kap is more durable and virtually has the same skill set as RG3. But when it comes to mental capacity RG3 trumps most QBs I believe. Just need RG3 to get more experience and wisdom usually comes with age.

I cant deny Kap is a talent and you can build a franchise around him. So I wont lie it would be tough If I had to choose between RG3 and Kap. Since RG3 is on our team that gives RG3 a slight edge. But if they were both on teams other then the Redskins. It would be very tough for me to choose. Id probably choose Kap honestly.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:19 am

On the same note. I just remembered RG3s work ethic. I remember when Rg3 was running sprints at a hotel parking lot when he was supposed to just be resting for an event.

I doubt youd ever hear of RG3 getting into trouble over some girls like Kap did. So ya considering all the character issues Id have to go with RG3 over Kap.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:On the same note. I just remembered RG3s work ethic. I remember when Rg3 was running sprints at a hotel parking lot when he was supposed to just be resting for an event.

I doubt youd ever hear of RG3 getting into trouble over some girls like Kap did. So ya considering all the character issues Id have to go with RG3 over Kap.

Kap has physical skills, but when forced into a decision, he frequently makes bad ones. There's plenty of evidence that he doesn't understand the game well enough to find his outlets, or to improvise, unless it is to run. Frankly, I don't expect them ever to defeat Seattle with offense, as long as Kaepernic is their quarterback. Beating Seattle's defense requires a quarterback who understands what the defense it trying to do to him... I just don't think Kap is that guy. Seattle owns him.

Bob, on the other hand... is that guy. Put this years Bob on last year's Niners, and they own the league. No facts to back any of this up, just the observations of an old man who's been watching the game for a long time.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 am

Yeah Bob wouldnt have thrown that pass that Kap did against Sherman. I also think RG3 would have ran the ball into the end zone in the SB against the Ravens as well. But I do think physically Kap has a slight edge. Mentally Bob has him beat.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:37 am

let me add - of the 3 QBs Colin, Russell and Robert, I prefer RG3 for this franchise - I'm sure Seattle feels the same about Russell and the 49ers would probably prefer RG3 or Russell to Colin but .... Colin is the best QB for them, given the other 2 are not available :D

Colin is a lot better fit at QB for the 49ers than most all others presently playing

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Around the League