Linebackers

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Which linebacker would you replace...and with whom?

None of them. I like things the way they are.
43%
Replace Jesse Armstead with Kevin Mitchell.
14%
Replace Jeremiah Trotter with Kevin Mitchell.
14%
Replace Lavar Arrington with Kevin Mitchell.
No votes
Replace Jesse Armstead with Lemar Marshall.
No votes
Replace Jesse Armstead with Lemar Marshall.
No votes
Replace Jeremiah Trotter with Lemar Marshall.
7%
Replace Lavar Arrington with Lemar Marshall.
No votes
Replace Jesse Armstead with Antonio Pierce.
14%
Replace Jeremiah Trotter with Antonio Pierce.
7%
Replace Lavar Arrington with Antonio Pierce.
No votes

Total votes : 14
Pursuer of Justice

Linebackers

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:23 am

Let's face it....Arrington, Armstead and Trotter have not been playing at a level that we all have expected them to be play.

Now, I ask you....would you replace any of them? With who?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

~~~~

Postby ANT7088 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:16 am

None of them! It isn't the players its the schemes. Last year, good scheme, good coach, 5th ranked D. Are you crazy? We need a new coordinator. Edwards is too inexperienced. If Baily doesn't like it, let him leave with Edwards. I could care less what happens to Baily when a guy like Bobby Taylor will be available next year. Baily is great, but his attitude sucks! He never seems to play his hardest, maybe if he did we wouldn't give up deep passes.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:25 pm

If I had to make one move that I would be comfortable with, I would cut Trotter and sign Mitchell to a long year deal. Ask anyone who has talked to me regarding Kevin and they'll say that I have backed him 100% and have (and still do) believed that he can be a valuable, full-time starter in this league.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:37 am

I choose replacing Armstead with Mitchell. I think Mitchell should and could be starting most anywhere. Armstead's play has not been what it used to be, even as recent as last year.....I think he's getting old. Also, cutting Trotter, as the Boss mentioned, would create some serious dead-money against the cap.

Great poll venting
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:54 am

I like the idea of cutting Trotter, but I wouldn't do it. I think he's gonna be fully recovered from his injury next year and next year I am hoping he is gonna be the "terror" the Redskins wanted. I would like to see Mitchell playing instead of Armstead.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:10 pm

the only one we could cut would be armstead because of dead cap money..... if you cut LA or trotter, theres a ton of money gonna hit the cap next year, we don't need that, but we better start looking at blue collar type replacemnts across the board to mend our future cap situation.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:00 pm

I will echo the statements of many when I say that it isnt all the 'backers fault that they are struggling. Dont get me wrong, freelancing and being out of position is on them but having the o-line getting to the next level to take them on is a problem with the d-line. We need a better d-line and then you will see the 'backers return to form.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:53 pm

Even the announcer showed the flaw with the Cover 2 defense on Sunday - talking about how Arrington, Trotter and Armstead played so far off and ended up playing east west defense rather than attacking north south.

When the LBs cinched up in the 2nd and 3rd Quarters, they did fairly well besides the one big run. Notice how DM didn't get much in the way of yardage with one or more LB up to attack a gap they suspected he was going through?

It ain't the backers - its the scheme. Arrington didn't get 11 sacks by being a patsy player, and Trotter didn't rule the roost in Philly by being a shoddy LB. They are physically and mentally built to charge and attack and we have them playing the total opposite kind of ball. Does this mean we have to blitz everyone every down? No, selected blitzes coming from different directions with the other backers covering the middle assignments (TEs or RBs) will do fine. 5 blitzing instead of four can cause problems, especially if it isn't telegraphed or if the false blitzer is adjusted for.

It ain't rocket science. 5 rushing = more pressure. It also still equals *6* in coverage which is more than enough.
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football