Jacobs on SOS

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
... deep in TX

Jacobs on SOS

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:05 pm

``Yeah, he's not as demanding as he used to be in college,'' said Redskins receiver Taylor Jacobs , who played for Spurrier at the University of Florida . ``But he shouldn't have to be. These are grown men. There is stuff you should have to tell college players that you shouldn't have to tell pro players. So he's not as demanding on some people. He's demanding of me because I'm his product. I think he's doing a good job. Whatever he does I'm behind him.'' Just like he was behind him at Florida. And sometimes that behind was getting kicked. ``If someone would do something wrong in college, he'd be all on top of them,'' Jacobs said. ``It makes you a better player in the long run. He paid a whole lot of attention to details in college.''

What happened to SOS? Why would he change his coaching techniques between the NFL and college? Screw the cap and everything else and kick some player ego, if necessary. The cap and everything else mean nothing without W's. No W's means no success, no job and no legacy.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby newshog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:45 pm

I get the impression that it was two things:

1.) He truly believed in his heart of hearts that he wouldn't need to ride professional players because, well, they're professionals. I think he's come to realize that that's not the case--he let it slide last year because he had so many other elements of the pro game to familiarize himself with. And he probably hoped that fixing those (getting the right personnel, etc.) would lead to better play and would make the indiscipline of his athletes less of an issue.

2.) I honestly feel like somebody along the lines that he trusts told him that he can't go about treating pro players the way he treated college players because he'd lose them. I expect he's starting to rethink that, and--just as he implemented changes in the last offseason--he's already making plans to make that a major change of this offseason.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:07 pm

It doesn't really matter what someone told him or what he thought it would be like, because...

He's losing the respect of the team, and once that happens, it doesn't really matter how much you want to change... you're not going to be able to. You can't be authoritative when the players don't respect you.

You also can't keep changing your approach and expect players to take you seriously.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:23 pm

I agree with that, Boss--if he really has lost the respect of the team, it would be nearly impossible--though not entirely impossible--to regain it. If he did something to show the drastic change in the relationship from what it was to what it will be, he might be able to pull it off.

Then again, he might not, in which case it would probably behoove one and all for him to leave. I still maintain that he could yet make the changes for next year, and I think (for this and other reasons) he should get at least one more year.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:41 pm

I didn't neccessarily say he'd lost the respect yet... just that he's losing it.

When guys like Jansen can't hold it in any more... it's getting pretty bad. JJ didn't say much because it's not in his nature, but you could tell that it was ONLY his nature keeping him from pointing his finger squarely at coach.

And he's the captain and leader of this team.

If this team has reached that unenviable point by season's end (distinct possibility)... then IMO, there's no reason to bring Spurrier back.

It just can't be good for the Skins to spend the offseason lamenting going back to a coach that they don't respect and consequently don't really want to play for.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:11 pm

I meant to add that "the next four weeks will tell the story," but you did so much more eloquently. If he can show the team that there's some future in sticking with him, I think he'll carry them along; but if not, he should probably try again elsewhere.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:30 pm

I believe he can earn the respect necessary to regain the trust of this team, but it won't be easy, and I'm not quite sure he's capable. He'll have to do what he said today and become more "Tunaish".....and kick some major butt and hurt some of those egos.

As mentioned before, a good start may be to sit Chump, LA and others that haven't been playing up to their potential. He needs not to be afraid of losing players, stars or not and just coach.....let the worthless FO worry about the players coming and going....now that's scary. SOS also needs to ignore anything that comes down from the FO about how he's needs to lighten up on soandso....forget that and he'll earn respect. The players don't want a coach that a yes-man or fears the FO or the owner.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football