Something That Has Struck Me By Suprise

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Something That Has Struck Me By Suprise

Postby The Skins Fan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:38 pm

A few days ago when I got home from work and checked my mailbox, I recieved something that I didn't expect to see in several years. That would be that my name came up next on the season ticket waiting list and they sent the notice to me to send in my money to recieve my season tickets. This comes at such a suprise to me b/c I have been on the waiting list for only about 10 years or so. Some people (those who don't bleed burgendy and gold like the rest of us) would say "10 years!! Wow that's a long time to wait for season tickets" But we all know that it is mind-boggling to think that it shouldn't take just 10 years to get called. I mean 3 years ago when a friend got his name called, he was on the list for 23 years!! 23!!! and just 3 years later it has been chopped down to 10!! Now you folks do the math on that. That says something right there if you ask me. Of course I can't take up on it b/c my wife and I (who have been married for 13 months) are on are way to saving to buy our first house (we've been in an apartment) so my priorities have to be str8. Especially what would you rather have, a house with my game room (sorround sound and big screen to watch the games) and just buy tickets from scalpers, e-bay and friends who just can't make it to a game OR stay in a 1 bedroom, tiny apartment to come home to after going to the game and watch the Skins embarrass themselves where I'll cry myself to sleep??? Answer-House. But the question that entered my mind was--If this team was a contender and worth going to watch, then believe me my money would already be sent in but WHY would I want to spend all of my hard-earned money that I bust my ass to make to go to Steve Spurrier and his $25 million dollar contract and watch them embarrass themselves and play like a team that couldn't even contend with the little sisters of the poor?!?!?!?!?

And that got me thinking, no wonder the season ticket list has and will continue to shrink. So you can bet your hard earned dollar that Danny-Boy is paying attention to the season ticket numbers and the nose dive it has taken since he bought this franchise and he knows that he'd better turn it around. And being such the businessman that he is and that has made him more money than god, I would hope to think that he realizes that his product is going big time downhill and any businessman that has made such an investment will not let it continue. And if Spurrier, Helton, Edwards, Jackson and the rest of that miserable coaching staff as well as some of the players (Champ, Jimoh and Terrell to name a few) stick around, then nobody (not Snyder and not us) will see any improvement--of course that point is obvious

Just a note on the David Terrell thing--I know alot of you all like this kid and support him but the guy cannot tackle a problem (he's missed more tackles than I've ever seen from a NFL defensive back) and thats when he's not trying to arm tackle, he plays way too timid (i've seen him in person just flat out play afraid to get hit or hit someone) he cannot cover a reciever if his mother's life depended on it--I will be just as happy to see him leave as I was when Matt Stevens left.
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:42 pm

Danny-boy better wake up and find some answers asap! This is crazy and says a lot about the state of the organization if you ask me.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:46 pm

Just a note on the David Terrell thing--I know alot of you all like this kid and support him but the guy cannot tackle a problem (he's missed more tackles than I've ever seen from a NFL defensive back) and thats when he's not trying to arm tackle, he plays way too timid (i've seen him in person just flat out play afraid to get hit or hit someone) he cannot cover a reciever if his mother's life depended on it--I will be just as happy to see him leave as I was when Matt Stevens left.

Terrell's a wicked special teams player though and belongs on the roster for that reason and that reason alone. he just doesn't belong anywhere near a secondary. :-)

As for the season ticket thing... it's been discussed a little already... there are a lot of people coming up a lot sooner than they had anticipated.

There are LOTS of reasons though... not the least of which is that Fed Ex holds almost 30,000 more people than RFK, so that caused a huge jump in the time frame that waiting list members were told even 10 years ago.

Add to that the fact that the tickets are no longer affordable to many people and the fact that the team hasn't been lighting up the league and you have a lot of accumulative factors dictating that that wait gets shorter and shorter all the time. I think it's safe to say that at present pace there won't be a waiting list soon.

Man, and anyone who went to Camp knows they were beating it to death there. They were giving you towels, shirts all kinds of stuff just to put your name on the list. I honestly felt like finding the media relations manager and asking them if they had any idea how desperate they looked to get people on that list.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:12 pm

I got notice that I'm gonna be a season ticket holder next year about 3 weeks ago. I've been on the wait list since 1996....so the wait is actually down to 7 years!

Since I have no "little Ventings" in my near future...and since I'd rather live in a hole and attend games (versus buying a new house), I WILL BE a season ticket holder next year.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:21 pm

I envy you guys for being close enough to attend games....as I've stated before, the one and only game I've ever attended was in Landover in '96 against the Pukes on Monday night and we won! Last win before the "streak", I'm pretty sure. One of the best nights of my life! Damn did I get drunk and loud. Was hungover and horse for days!
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

skinnns

Postby skinnns » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:32 am

As someone who has grown up with season tickets that have been in the family since Pearl Harbor I have gotten a little insight into the situation.

Boss is absolutely correct in the stadium being bigger as the main reason. There are actually over 30,000 more seats now I believe.

Also, a lot of people who's names have been called like yours have decided against taking it up.(which I don't understand, take the tickets and sell them off before the season starts. Then when you are ready to go to them all, you will have them at your disposal.)

And thirdly, a LOT of long time season ticket holders have given up their seats, less I believe due to the play(4-12, 3-13, and 4-12 at RFK was a lot less fun, believe me) then the fact that most people who went to RFK HATE FedEx. Parking sucks, prices are bad, and the atmosphere has never, and almost certainly will never be close. RFK was like a community of Skins fans, with the option of walking around with a view of the field.(Almost all of this is not Snyder's fault, but because Cooke saved MD tax payers by being the only owner to pay for his own stadium, he had it done very quickly. The parking was never thought out, and I don't think prices have gone up that much since Snyder showed up.)

And finally, the darkest reason that I have seen, is that many Skins ticket holders at RFK were pretty old and either not around, or not up to going to the games anymore.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:26 am

And when you add ALL of those things together you end up with a waiting list that will probably not be a waiting list at all by 2005 or 2006.

Why do you think you're bothered with a waiting list popup as soon as you go to redskins.com?

redskinsmiley

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:35 pm

Very good points guys, I just had my number pulled up this year, I have been on the list for a little over 5 years. I thought it would have taken 10-15 years but not now.

deeeefense@aol.com

love your website

Postby deeeefense@aol.com » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:45 am

Hi gang:

Thanks for the website. I never like Snyder from day one for his association with the crooked Milstean brothers to begin with. From day one, Snyder has demoralized the Redskin tradition and I am sure you know all the gross details. Let us PRAY he sells the team to a good owner.

Sam Taranto. SKINS FAN SINCE COMING TO DC AREA IN 1961

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:53 pm

I got mine in 6 years, very surpised when I got called last year one week before the seson opener. I believe all the reasons above have contributed to the shorter turnaround times. But don't feel for Snyder he may not be a great GM but he is a good businessmen the skins are one of the NFL's most profitable teams. One thing I feel that need to be addressed here is our fans...of which I'm one.I love history and the team is full of history, however this is not the hogs or the fun bunch or the smurfs. Where is the fans loyal base?? My son is 10 I have to give him credit he goes to the games with me and he roots for the Skins he is a great young fan and all he has know is losing. Like it our not we need a new Identity gone are the good time of the 80's. I think one of Synder's assets my be his biggest liability...he is one of us he use to sit in RFK and watch the Skins he longs for the glory days of yesterday...he will not rest until then, therein lies the problem he keeps chasing everything instead of hiring a GM, sitting back relaxing and rooting for the skins.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football