Football Outsiders ranks Skins #4 in league thru 4 weeks

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Football Outsiders ranks Skins #4 in league thru 4 weeks

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 am

A lot of that is on account of adjustments for opponents. According to their stats we've played the second hardest schedule in the league so far and have the 26th most difficult going forward. Perhaps some reason for real optimism here. The last time we were this high was at peak RGIII in 2012 — and I think even then we topped out at number five in their rankings.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog

Re: Football Outsiders ranks Skins #4 in league thru 4 weeks

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 am

I heard a weird stat the other day that the Skins first four opponents are like a combined 12-4 going into week 5 with two of those four losses to the Redskins. Nothing easy in this first part of the season.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am

riggofan wrote:I heard a weird stat the other day that the Skins first four opponents are like a combined 12-4 going into week 5 with two of those four losses to the Redskins. Nothing easy in this first part of the season.

you posted earlier that the players and coaches were busting their tails to turn things around - we are seeing the results of this on the field

not completely sold on Jay Gruden but he deserves some credit from having better coaches in place - it's probably true that Jay is about as good a HC as we can get
The Redskins' franchise has been a huge disappointment since 1999 and it's not getting better anytime soon

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:37 pm

We actually let both losses slip away and could easily be 4-0.

This MIGHT be a face mask but the real problem is Josh trying to break his fall ala Dez (a certain Cowboy fan would say down by contact here).

Just keep both hands on it, go into the fetal position, land on your hip, and then kicking off with a 4 point lead doesn't look like bad clock management.

BTW - GREAT call on this play by Gruden. Kirk goes away from an open first "Reed" and makes a perfect throw to Josh. GOTTA catch it.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm

DarthMonk wrote:but the real problem is Josh trying to break his fall

YES YES YES YES YES YES. Saw that same thing on the replays Monday night.

We had that game, man. Hoping that drop is one of those things that Josh can learn from.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:44 am

The fingers to the eyes might've aided in the "drop"?

For real though- where the hell is Reed???? I see him in the game, but he ain't balling; what gives???
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:03 am

Totally agree that Josh Doctson should have caught that (perfectly thrown) ball (on a perfectly called play), and that we'd have won if he caught it.

The Eagles game I just chalk up as a loss. We "should" be 3-1 IMHO.

I don't see us finishing 8-8 or worse this year. I think we make a real run at winning the division and, failing that, secure one of the Wild Card spots.
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:For real though- where the hell is Reed???? I see him in the game, but he ain't balling; what gives???

Funny you ask that, because he was open on that particular play.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/did- ... inning-td/

Cousins went to Doctson instead.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 pm

I saw that too... Is the right corner a harder throw then the left? Man, I just wanna see Reed and Crowder balling... And Docston and Pryor making noise too..

Instead, its VD and Grant... Just win baby, thats all that matters
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I saw that too... Is the right corner a harder throw then the left?

Don't know. I think the interesting thing there is that he had both Reed and Doctson with a chance to make the game winning TD. You'd kind of expect him to go to Reed.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am

Ranking? No. That's why they play the games. We'll know more after another three or four weeks. The defense seems improved, though.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 am

this season is looking good - how can anyone here give any credit to a ranking system that had the Giants and Pukes as favorites :shock:

I'm just hoping that we end up with the same sort of magic we all enjoyed in 2012 .... the future is now :twisted:
The Redskins' franchise has been a huge disappointment since 1999 and it's not getting better anytime soon

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 am

SkinsJock wrote:this season is looking good - how can anyone here give any credit to a ranking system that had the Giants and Pukes as favorites :shock:

Preseason rankings are so lazy. Honestly, I probably would have given Dallas the edge going into the season based on how they looked last year, but I called the Giants months ago. Their o-line is terrible, and they bring out the worst in Eli. Their coach is the worst in the division. And Beckham is a baby. Totally predictable.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 pm

And the gnats beat the best D in the league with HS wide outs! Then pitti beats the best team in the league after looking like a dumpster fire last week! Crazy NFL

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:And the gnats beat the best D in the league with HS wide outs! Then pitti beats the best team in the league after looking like a dumpster fire last week! Crazy NFL

Yeah that's why I was kind of annoyed Monday by the radio guys complaining that we didn't beat the 49ers by 28 or whatever. The NFL rarely works like that. You can't just show up vs. the 0-5 team and count it as an easy win.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football