Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 am

Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

Diesel

Re: it's finally here - this could be interesting

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 pm

sustained mediocrity

Well at least we have this going for us!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm

DEHog wrote:
sustained mediocrity
Well at least we have this going for us!!

over the past 2 seasons we've lost a couple of games we really should have won - meaning we should be at 19-13 not 15-17 :lol:
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Did not read the article but 8-8 would have made us one of (I think) only 6 teams without a losing record in any of the last 3 years.

It's actually pretty hard to win.

66-93-1 puts us at #26 over the past 10 years. The 6 teams worse than that are DET, BUC, RAD, JAG, CLE, and RAM.

Looks like JAG and RAM might be good for awhile.

Top 3:

Pittsburgh Steelers (103-57)
The Steelers have won at least 10 games in seven of the past 10 seasons, and have never finished below .500 during that span.

Green Bay Packers (106-53-1)
The Packers have finished the regular season with double-digit victories in eight of the past 10 seasons, and have made the playoffs going on eight years straight.

New England Patriots (126-34)
The Patriots have won at least 12 games for seven consecutive years, have missed the playoffs only once in the past 10 years (when they went 11-5 in 2008), and finished off an undefeated 16-0 regular season in 2007.

New England has been the NFL's best team over the past decade, and no one else even comes close.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
66-93-1 puts us at #26 over the past 10 years. The 6 teams worse than that are DET, BUC, RAD, JAG, CLE, and RAM.

That's absolutely putrid company.

08 Champ

Re: The off season is here - this could be interesting

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

we've become used to making excuses - this franchise last won 11 games back in 1991

in the next 7 months, we'll hear 'reasons' that will cause us to get our hopes up but, nothing will change - we need better leadership

FACT is we have nobody in charge that knows what to do to get better

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Another off season telling us how great each Redskins player is, how this year will be the first all Redskins NFC Pro Bowl team, how the Reskins are a lock to win the Super Bowl and how great the team management is. And then comes the start of the season....

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Another off season telling us how great each Redskins player is, how this year will be the first all Redskins NFC Pro Bowl team, how the Reskins are a lock to win the Super Bowl and how great the team management is. And then comes the start of the season....

I THINK SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT... OR HACKED HIS ACCOUNT AND USED MINE... OR HE HAS ESPN AND READ MY MIND...

:mrgreen:

After the last cow game, I have been in very heated conversations/arguments about our guys trying to win out.
Though I usually say win out and show pride and all that stuff, this year I was very adamant about losing out.
I know, it's a loser mentality and blah blah blah... **** that !!!! All going out with a bang (even though we didn't) does is create false hope.
Oh, well you know, we finished strong and considering the injuries our guys played their hearts out. Ummmmmm... save it.
Ugh... I can't even finish this, I'm getting upset thinking about this bum organization.
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 & '17 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 3b3eb477a3

By Thomas Boswell Columnist January 12 at 1:58 PM
As you watch the NFL playoffs this weekend, feel free to scream as you realize again what you already feared last weekend: Except for Tom Brady, there isn’t a quarterback in the postseason who is significantly better than Kirk Cousins.

As I will show statistically later in this column, in the whole NFL only Aaron Rodgers joins Brady as entirely out of Cousins’s class. Over the past three years, Cousins has proved that he is in a clump of a half-dozen excellent QBs — eyelash close in total productivity — who compose the next-highest quarterback rank.

But as this weekend will underline, most of them have produced their numbers with gifted supporting casts of which Cousins only can dream in D.C. All the Kirk-comparable QBs on view in the next two days, such as Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger, have surrounding casts so electric that you wonder, “What would Kirk do if he could throw to Julio Jones or Antonio Brown, not Jamison Crowder, or simply hand it to Le’Veon Bell or Mark Ingram, not Samaje Perine?”

The Washington passer, who’s likely to leave D.C. in the coming months, could hardly have a better advertisement for himself than last week’s 10-3 Jaguars win over Buffalo, in which Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor threw 60 passes, many of them simple checkdowns, for a sickly 194 net passing yards. How many fans in Jacksonville and Buffalo are thinking, “Get us that free agent Cousins”?

Or recall the collapse of Kansas City, held scoreless in the second half of a 22-21 loss to Tennessee, as quarterback Alex Smith could generate nothing despite having the NFL’s leading rusher, Kareem Hunt (1,327 yards), behind him and Tyreek Hill (1,183 receiving yards) at wide receiver. The Chiefs’ dilemma? They had lost 1,038-yard tight end Travis Kelce.

What would Cousins, reduced in his final game to playing behind two third-string linemen, handing to fifth-string runner Kapri Bibbs and throwing to what-route-will-he-decide-to-run receiver Josh Doctson, give to have such “limitations”?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 pm

makes you realize how much better this franchise would be if the guys in charge had even a slight clue about what it takes

dumb and dumber

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:22 am

welch wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-numbers-dont-lie-kirk-cousins-is-elite/2018/01/12/bc9f04c8-f7c3-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.623b3eb477a3

As you watch the NFL playoffs this weekend, feel free to scream as you realize again what you already feared last weekend: Except for Tom Brady, there isn’t a quarterback in the postseason who is significantly better than Kirk Cousins.

As I will show statistically later in this column, in the whole NFL only Aaron Rodgers joins Brady as entirely out of Cousins’s class. Over the past three years, Cousins has proved that he is in a clump of a half-dozen excellent QBs — eyelash close in total productivity — who compose the next-highest quarterback rank.

But as this weekend will underline, most of them have produced their numbers with gifted supporting casts of which Cousins only can dream in D.C. All the Kirk-comparable QBs on view in the next two days, such as Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger, have surrounding casts so electric that you wonder, “What would Kirk do if he could throw to Julio Jones or Antonio Brown, not Jamison Crowder, or simply hand it to Le’Veon Bell or Mark Ingram, not Samaje Perine?”

The Washington passer, who’s likely to leave D.C. in the coming months, could hardly have a better advertisement for himself than last week’s 10-3 Jaguars win over Buffalo, in which Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor threw 60 passes, many of them simple checkdowns, for a sickly 194 net passing yards. How many fans in Jacksonville and Buffalo are thinking, “Get us that free agent Cousins”?

Or recall the collapse of Kansas City, held scoreless in the second half of a 22-21 loss to Tennessee, as quarterback Alex Smith could generate nothing despite having the NFL’s leading rusher, Kareem Hunt (1,327 yards), behind him and Tyreek Hill (1,183 receiving yards) at wide receiver. The Chiefs’ dilemma? They had lost 1,038-yard tight end Travis Kelce.

What would Cousins, reduced in his final game to playing behind two third-string linemen, handing to fifth-string runner Kapri Bibbs and throwing to what-route-will-he-decide-to-run receiver Josh Doctson, give to have such “limitations”?

Couldn’t agree with him less, IMO this shows that you don’t have to pay for an elite QB. The 1st , 2nd and 4th best defenses are in the conference championships. Conventional wisdom would say spend the money on defense. I really like Cousiins, but not at the cost he wants, maybe there will be a “correction” in the QB market after what has happened this year. I mean would you really give Case Keenum or Blake Bortles $100 mil contracts?? The only part of the article I agree with is that Brady and Rodgers may be the only QB’s who elevate their teams. He can talked all he wants about Cousins playing for the Jags, Steelers, Chiefs..etc…But I would argue if those teams gave him the big contract they would become more like the Seahawks and Ravens after they give big contracts to their QB.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:49 pm

DEHog wrote:
welch wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-numbers-dont-lie-kirk-cousins-is-elite/2018/01/12/bc9f04c8-f7c3-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.623b3eb477a3

Couldn’t agree with him less, IMO this shows that you don’t have to pay for an elite QB. The 1st , 2nd and 4th best defenses are in the conference championships. Conventional wisdom would say spend the money on defense. I really like Cousiins, but not at the cost he wants, maybe there will be a “correction” in the QB market after what has happened this year. I mean would you really give Case Keenum or Blake Bortles $100 mil contracts?? The only part of the article I agree with is that Brady and Rodgers may be the only QB’s who elevate their teams. He can talked all he wants about Cousins playing for the Jags, Steelers, Chiefs..etc…But I would argue if those teams gave him the big contract they would become more like the Seahawks and Ravens after they give big contracts to their QB.

Our time to sign Cousins has passed. Too many $ now. Agree almost completely with DE.

In the first 49 Super Bowls, the winner had the #1 defense in the league over 28% of the time.

The winner had a top 3 defense over half the time.

The winner had a top 10 defense 42 of 49 times.

Making up for a so so defense with a great QB is VERY RARE. I can even argue IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED !!!

Here's who did it (kinda):

Stabler, Plunkett, the Mannings, Brees, and Flacco.

Stabler had the #12 defense. Plunkett had #13. Eli needed a miracle. Peyton beat Rex Grossman. Brees needed an onside kick. Flacco's defense was number 12.

When Rodgers won he had the #2 defense. Brady's defenses ranked 6, 1, 2, and 8.

At this point - to hell with Cousins.

LET'S BUILD A FREAKIN' DEFENSE !!!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Diesel

Re: Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

^^^^^^ =D> ^^^^^^^

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Finally someone who agrees we need MartyBall back! :lol:

Great post, seriously.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:28 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

Oh, I have always said this... but, I just want to note... for those few games that the Redskins D was fully healthy, they were scarey good... dominant good...
The question is, "how do we keep them healthy?" It's also awfully difficult to create a consistent offense with a patchwork O- line.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football