goodbye to my "fellow" Washington Redskin fans

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

goodbye to my "fellow" Washington Redskin fans

Postby LongTimeFan » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:22 pm

And so my first post is to say goodbye. There will be some that say "good riddance" and "don't let the door hit you on your way out" but it's only an internet message board after all so don't waste too much angst over one post.

I have lurked here before without posting but I post now to say goodbye as I leave. I didn't even realize it was Dallas week until I noticed the score in the paper this morning. I never thought the day would come but here it is.

I grew up in a Washington suburb and was a loyal fan of the Senators and Redskins. I have never been to a Redskins regular season game because I never got tickets but I have been to a number of exhibition games over the years. I used to go to 20 or more Senators games every year. I bought Redskins and Senators clothing for myself and my family. That qualifies me as a more than bandwagon fan, I believe. I remember the Senators' last game in RFK when we tore the place up after "Bob Short Still Stinks" decided to move the team to Texas. I have not watched a baseball game since that day. Bob Short took a piece of my heart with him.

My weariness as a Redskin fan was much more gradual. I did not join the bandwagon when Gibbs won a super bowl, I remember the awful teams of the early 1960s. I remember Eddie Lebaron. I remember Nino Nanowski. I remember when we got Sonny. I remember the "get a ball free" ads that Theismann did for the Evening Star. I stormed around the room when "Mr Offensive Coach" Joe Gibbs got off to his 0-5 start.

The free agency thing started it. When free agency hit the NFL, I was no longer able to say to a collection of players "you are my guys and I love you, win or lose" because the players changed every year, sometimes every week. That was when the first crack appeared in my Redskins loyalty.

Dan Snyder drove a chisel into that crack with his idiotic handling of the team, and Steve Spurrier, who I personally detest, drove the spike into the heart of my love for the Redskins. Last year I tried to watch a few games but the interest was simply not there, not enough to make up for Spurrier in the coach's seat and Danny in the owner's box. This year I watched one game and really haven't had the heart to watch again. Snyder has ruined what was left of the Redskins to the point that I feel nothing but apathy for them. There was a time when I could have written down the entire roster and their numbers, scrubs and all. Today, I doubt I could name ten players on the team. It was "Dallas Week" and I didn't even know. I have loved the Redskins for 45 years and I didn't even know.

Good luck to you Redskins fans, I've had some great times and some teary times and now we come to the last time. And so, a long love affair comes to a dead end. Congratulations, Dan and Steve, you have killed a love that I thought would never die.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:28 pm

Wow.

I guess all there is to say to that is thanks for getting your last angst out here and I sincerely hope that eventually someone starts to take notice just how many longtime fans such as yourself are being turned away.

I honestly think that if the team stopped making money that DS would be forced to do a better job of running this franchise.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:44 pm

you do know that there is a place on redskins.com that allows you to email players or coaches. I don't know that this letter would ever get through - but I think if I were you I would put it on there to see if it had any impact.

Just my two cents worth.

My heart feels the loss of one of my brethren - for real. Bon Chance!
Rich in Roanoke

Postby Blitzkrieg56 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:01 pm

I can honestly say that was one powerful send off, and at times i feel the same way, but one thing i will say is that i just cant let go of a team that i have followed since i was 9 or 10 yrs old, (31 now). I totally agree that DS is running this franchise, and essentially its devoted fans, right in the ground, but i can only wonder "when" and not "if" this gets better. I highly doubt it will be next year, or even the year after, but i will continue to eat, sleep and s**t redskins until the day i die. With that being said, i wish you fairwell in the pursuit of a team that actually wins..lol.
"You can't handle the truth"

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:05 pm

:cry: LongTimeFan there are many who feel the same as you, Myself included. I have just introduced my son the the world of football. He already has a great passion for the game. As a father I have to balance it with his other responsabilities. I also tell him to only look up to player with respect to thier game. It's funny he always ask me if a player is a good person or not...it's not enough for him to just be a good player. I feel I'm doing something right, he had a assignment in school to write about his hero, he wrote about me. I say this not to brag but to point out this is the way it should be. If as a father your son doesn't think you are # 1 then there's a problem. Champ Bailey may be his favorite football player but I'm his hero! My point is, you shouldn't walk away. Get involved, after yesterday's game I was driving home to Delaware and was saying to myself...why do I drive out here every Sunday. But then I realize I have a choice, I can complain, I can quit or I can try and make a difference. That's how I found this site. One final thought. almost everyday I go to work (I'm in the Air force) I have to go to the mortuary and help process the remains of my fellow military, it's very humbling to see 18 and 19 year old men and women killed. and then I remember it's just a game, there is a next or a next year
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:33 pm

I didn't even realize it was Dallas week until I noticed the score in the paper this morning.

I hear ya, and I can certainly sympathize but, with all due respect, how can you call yourself a Skins fan without knowing it's Dallas week! I mean....I can smell this week comin'!! Unfortunately, after every Dallas week, I feel like ;furious; so I feel your pain, I really do!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:36 pm

Delaware's #1 Skins Fan

Hey DEHOG, welcome to the board.....but I gotta take issue with your "claim to fame". If you're saying you're the #1 Skins fan in Delaware, we're gonna rumble. :P

Let's just be co-#1's, okay?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:44 am

Let's just be co-#1's, okay?

Sounds OK to me...just glad to know there are some Skins fans up here in Beagle country.

scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:10 am

Hey it's too easy to say goodbye now! Man, we've been through worse than this = Norv Turner, Marty Ball... Dijon Sanders, Jeff George??? Albeit right down there with the lowest points - I'm never going to be a Skins fan until the day I die. I'm looking forward to the draft, cheering hard against the Cowboys and looking forward to some changes. One positive note - the Skins have beaten the Seahawks and Patriots this season. We've been dreadfully close in several other games. Sorry pal, it's just too damn easy to quit now. I've gotta question your loyalty and your manhood here. A Redskin Fan is a Redskin Fan - a fan that quits when his team is down is called a Cowboy fan! Just hang in there like the rest of us - we'll keep you company and allow you to vent when you need it... just my .02!

scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:11 am

Typo - "I'm never not going to be a Skins fan..." derskie points?

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:58 pm

Probelm is, who the hell am I going to cheer for??? I have been a Skin follower and fan for so long (news letters, this site, $hit loads of jersyes, hats, etc.) that it would take like forever to buy into a "new" team.

I just have live with the same emptiness that I have felt for the past serveral Decembers and Januarys, then on or about February 1st I start looking forward to the season once again.

I admit, it's sort of an addiction with me.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

swine

Postby skinsNut » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:05 pm

REDSKINMARK wrote:I just have live with the same emptiness that I have felt for the past serveral Decembers and Januarys, then on or about February 1st I start looking forward to the season once again.

I admit, it's sort of an addiction with me.

Amen.

Thats how I feel exactly. At least I know to watch the bowl games with a keener eye realizing that we're going to get one of the 'better prospects'. That's about all the silver lining ican find in this cloud we call the 2003 season.

:roll:
Hail to the Redskins

scooter

Postby Scooter » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:22 pm

Exactly, we've been trained to watch for free agents, scour the payroll for potential cuts, evaluate draft prospects and evaluate other team needs and draft grades. Lousy football trains better fans. Yes, we've been training for a long time - maybe even too long. Bandwagon fans are a dime a dozen - I won't be buying any other team gear either. Things will get better, things will get better - anyone seen my ruby slippers? Things will get better :0)

scooter

Postby Scooter » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:21 am

Still not back? Hmm, maybe I was too hard on the guy...

----

Postby HitDoctor » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:51 am

That was the most beautiful and sad post I have ever read. It easily captures the mood of the fans of one of the NFL's most storied teams in history in present day form. The Dark Ages are upon us.
it is what it is

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football