The reason why we will never win with SOS

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~~~~

The reason why we will never win with SOS

Postby ii7-V7 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:41 am

I have been on the continuity band wagon now for a few years. Daniel Synder has sabotaged every chance that we have had for a sucessful season starting with when we fired a 7 and 6 Norv Turner in favor for someone who was more oriented towards an explosive offense (remember that Danny wanted to hire Spurrier in the first place but had to settle for a veteran coach in Marty). A lack of continuity and a complete disrespect for defense have been the trademarks of Danny's tenure. And so he hires Spurrier who doesn't even spend time with the defense.

But this isn't about Danny, its about Coach Spurrier. We will never win with Spurrier and here is why. Spurrier (Like Danny Boy) insists that his woes are related to not having the tools to implement his system, and refuses to cater his gameplans to the strengths of his team.

I was reading the Wilbon article in the Post today and this quote struck me.

"I asked Jerry Jones after the game if such a season was reasonable to expect when it began, and Jones said, "Reasonable? No. But let me tell you this: Bill said to me that he would never concede going into any game. He said, 'There are always reasons to win the game.' He would not concede that we could not have a winning season.' "

Bill Parcells recognized what little good he had going for him, built upon it, and refused to believe that his talent level was insufficient to win any given game on any given Sunday. He recognizes that his team could beat any other team in the league if they play the right kind of football, and he coaches them to this end; to thier strengths. There are no excuses from the Coaching Staff of Bill Parcells. Are they perfect? Of course not. But they play up to thier potential every play. They play to what strengths the team has. Bill Parcells coaches! Bill Parcells builds teams! Steve Spurrier is naught but an overpayed offensive coordinator.

SOS does not coach a team. What he does can't best be described as half-*ssing it. He certainly hasn't built a team. He has a collection of talented people, but no team. And this is because he is too busy resting on the laurels of his past successes and wondering why he can't create it here. He is too busy trying to draw up brilliant offensive gameplans instead of building a team. Steve Spurrier will always have an excuse....He will always rely upon his own gameplan...He will always blame someone, even if its himself, but he will not get in the trenches and discipline his team. He will not lower himself to learning about his team. He will continue to draw it all up on paper and then go "coach 'em up," on the gameplan. He will continue to have excuses. He will continue to rely upon his ego, but he will not coach. Players will not respect Steve Spurrier and so the best we can ever hope for under his reign will be the occasionally explosive victory. But every game that requires tenacity and heart will be lost by the Redskins under Steve Spurrier. Because Steve Spurrier has no tenacity. He has no heart. I wonder if after this season he will even have an ego?

Chad

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:12 pm

Very well written :)

I go along with everything that you said
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:15 pm

Good post Chad...and I don't disagree with anything other than SS does stand up and take the blame in his press conferences....but what damn good does that do us? I blame him for two terrible seasons and possibly an upcoming third....let's hope not.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:22 pm

you know... one thing that makes me madder than hell with Spurrier that I haven't brought up til now is the comments that he makes regarding not paying attention too much to the press... that he didn't... maybe he ought to start looking and seeing what the fans are feeling out here and quit trying to not have pressure on himself and his team.
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:33 pm

"Good post Chad...and I don't disagree with anything other than SS does stand up and take the blame in his press conferences....but what damn good does that do us?"

Thats my point. He will sort of half heartedly take the blame like when he says, "I guess its my fault...I guess we got to coach 'em up better" But, yes, what good does it do us?

Good coaches don't just take the blame for the team. They go out and do something about it. Bill Parcells lost two in a row and what did he do about it? He gave us our worst home loss since 1951! What will SOS do about this loss? I guess he'll just have to coach em up better. But he sure won't discipline them, he sure won't play to the teams strengths, and above all he won't do anything to build cohesion amongst his team.

Chad

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:02 pm

See, the thing is I believed SOS would eventually "realize" that his pass happy offensive schemes would not work in the NFL... not with the talent/speed/defensive schemes that line up against him every week.

I thought he would learn to adjust. Is it EGO that will not allow him to adjust? It cerntainly appears to be so. My god, even Fox was showing graphics that clearly demonstrated our success when we run the ball over 35 times a game, or in other words run the ball much more than we pass. The FO and coaches for the Redskins must have the same data, I'm sure.

If Dan wants to effectively use his position of Owner/GM to advise and consult with his coaches, then he should emphaticaly tell Spurrier that he needs to run the ball more.

Once again, this is not brain surgery. Running the ball effectively protects your passing game, allows the O-line to be more agressive, keeps opposing defenses off balance and keeps your own defense from being on the field after 800 straight three and outs.

Geez, Hasselbeck looked horrible yesterday. And yet they kept trying to pass even in the face of Rock running the ball so well.

Forgive me while I kick my dog, who I call Danny.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:24 pm

Some excellent points made.

We better hope SOS can do some things to get better because apparently he isn't going anywhere.

So, what's everyone's opinion on WHAT he has to do to be more successful?

And for the record... as much as I hate the Pukes and Parcells and love to tell everyone... he's done a great job with that team. Man it hurt to even type that.

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:42 pm

Hey Boss, how about:

RUN THE DAMMED BALL CONSISTENTLY!!! for starters.

Two things I predeicted: One when Parcells was hired, I knew he would make the Pukes a much better team, and trouble for us.

Secondly, when McNubb was having his troubles early this year, that it was an aberration and that Andy Reed was a good coach that would eventually make whatever adjustments to have both McNubb and his backs/receivers play better with their talent level.

SOS really needs to think about what he has to do with the guys he's got, not make the guys fit the system, IT DOES NOT WORK HIS WAY.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:44 pm

Yeah, when the Eagles were struggling early the first thing I posted was that I wasn't gonna count them out just yet. I agree that Reid's a good coach and think that he did a really good job keeping it together in Philly.

As for running the ball... it ain't part of the Fun 'N Gun. If Spurrier's staying and running the offense then there's not much point in getting too many 'run' aspirations. We re-tooled the team around a speed-based passing offense and really aren't 'equipped' to be a running team. I doubt SOS will ever change his 'philosophy' that much.

I think we need to concentrate on the d-line and secondary (S for sure, CB too if Champ leaves) as far as personnel goes. On offense... I like Rock, and I've always liked B. Johnson, but we need some good blocking backs, if we're not gonna run 'em then let's get some guys in here that can block and try to buy Patrick some time in the pocket instead of some time in the ICU. SOS is gonna pass first... I think first we have to learn how to do that effectively before we worry about rushing.

I say all of this only because SOS is the coach and we have 'built' the team around it. I am and will always be a smash mouth football fan myself.

HTTR

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:03 am

I am and will always be a smash mouth football fan myself.

Same here! Thats why I loved Marty being here. But Danny Boy decided that ball control and stingy defense wasn't exciting enough. Even though Marty went 8 and 3 in his last 11 games, it just wasn't flashy enough. Plus, Marty wanted too much control for Danny Boy's tastes. While I certainly don't know what was said between the two, I like to imagine that Marty told him just what he thought of his little napoleon ways.

So, since its obvious that SOS isn't leaving (and if he was who would come here to be a coach under Danny anyway) and we sure can't do anything to get Dannny out of town (at least not without one of us spending sometime in jail), what can we do?

1) Strap Vinny Cerrato to the front of an Amtrak train and hire a new GM who can reign Danny in. This will never happen so why do I even bother writing it down.

2) Hire an experienced Defensive Coordinator.

3) Draft needs in this order: Defensive Tackle, Defensive End, Running Back, Safety, another Defensive Tackle, another Defensive End, Blocking Back.

4) Consider resorting to terrorism in order to win division matchups. (This is of course a joke!)

5) Break all of SOS's golf clubs.

6) Pray, pray, pray!

Chad[/quote]

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:16 am

ROTFALMAO

Thanks for the laugh. I especially like the My Cousin Vinny solution :up:

#1 is the most important thing, but as you said... we have not been led to believe that this is going to change any time soon.

But it's the ONLY way we're going to get better in my opinon.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:46 pm

I like #3.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:23 am

on the point of good coaching. did you see how "unhappy" carter was when he headed to the side after that fumble? he knew he was in the doghouse. parcells talked trash to him for like two minutes non stop. only thing i've seen spurrier do after a turnover is ....well look pretty *&$%in dumb.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:31 am

yea, Parcells chewed on QC....and they we're winning...imagine that!

another thing the Tuna did after the two losses was send his starting CB packing for "behavior detrimental to the organization" or something like that....what he was doing was sending a clear message to the club and man, did they hear it.....where are our cuts this week? or after the Buffalo game?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football