Redskins problem is one word

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Diesel

Redskins problem is one word

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:45 am

HTTR
I think the Skins problems can be sum up in one word…leadership. Someone please tell me who is the leader on the team? First let’s define leadership…it is the art of influencing others to achieve a common goal. Then there are the types of leaders. The formal leaders like Snyder and Spurrier, and informal leaders like assistant coaches and players. Now leaders have to earn respect, there is legal respect like being the team owner and earned respect (the best kind respect) that as a coach or player you try to achieve. The problem sometimes is that management will try to thrust that role on certain players or players in certain positions. Is Ramsey a leader because he’s a QB?? I read he was reading a lot of books about leadership over the past summer, very hard to learn to become a leader, most leaders are born that way. So that said is brings me back to my original question, who on this team is a leader.

Lavar-maybe he can become one, but I think his comments earlier this year offended some of his teammates, because he himself is not having a great year

Champ-I don’t think so, just not his style, he is looking elsewhere, if he doesn’t want to be a Redskins fine, so long not a lot we can do. Ask the Yankees about Petit

Old ball coach- Just don’t see it…I believe a head coaches main job is to motivate. You don’t have to be a great x and o guy (which he is) to be successful as a head coach

Synder- very seldom do you see a owner serve as the team leader, much like you don’t see a great Army General leading his troops, it usually some Lt or Captain that the troop look up to.

I tell the one guy I love here and has shown more leadership then any player this year. This guy loves playing football, loves being a Redskin and has played his heart out on the field. He came back early from a very painful injury and that is Fred Smoot

Do we need an overhaul; I say no, winning cures all ills. If three or four of the close games go our way this yea,r we are all singing a different tune. This team knows how to lose a close game, they have to learn how to win the close games and that come with leadership. A few examples around the league, how bout Carolina, you don’t think guys like Dehlome and Davis don’t make a difference, forget the Davis was a Redskin. How bout the Pats, all those injuries, didn’t matter, guys like Brady and Law provided the leadership. There are many more. So again I ask who is a leader on this team?
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:51 am

Great post, DEHOG. I completely agree with your assessment that Smoot is developing into the leadership role.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:39 pm

As soon as I started reading your post, Smoot came into my mind, up until this year, I wasn't really sure about him, he seemed to talk more than play, he reminded me of Deion Sanders except he wasn't half as good, but this year, he has shown that he is a leader and plays very good. I would vote for smoot as are leader, he changed my mind with one season (this year), I really like the guy.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:48 pm

doeslammer wrote: he reminded me of Deion Sanders except he wasn't half as good, .

I felt the same way until I saw him at camp and after some of the games this year. He is not cocky he enjoys the game and enjoys the fans and he loves being a Redskin. And he wants to win!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:52 pm

yeah I noticed thast at camp too.

I posted it in a few camp reports... the guy was just having fun out there and he is ALWAYS the most vocal player on the field at practice. DEHog is right too... IMO, it isn't cockiness... he just loves being out there playing ball.

I think Jon Jansen and Lavar have pretty much been appointed leaders though I'm not sure either of them possess that much nartural leadership ability. I like JJ's quiet, unassuming leadership qualities though.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:08 pm

Smoot is good. He was the only one making any noise this past week, saying how much this game meant to him and how much he:

HATED THE PUKES

and wanted to beat them badly.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football