Champ continues to...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Champ continues to...

Postby BossHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:34 pm

Champ continues his whining. From Today's Times...

Washington Redskins cornerback Champ Bailey needed only two words yesterday to make his strongest statement to date about the possibility he would like to move to another team this offseason.
Bailey was discussing how free agents from other teams might be dissuaded from signing with the Redskins because of the team's growing track record of futility. Asked whether such thinking makes him less likely to re-sign, he replied, "No comment."

"It's hard to get free agents if you're not winning," Bailey said. "People want to go win games. ... I wouldn't want to go to an organization where teams are just losing and don't have potential to win."

Click here for the rest of the article.

Champ also continues to make his departure that much easier to swallow.

So long... don't let the door hit you in the ass.

redskinsmiley
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:34 pm

I saw him on tv talking about it. Chick Hernandez from Comcast Sports Net asked him if him staying in Washington will be affected by our number's of wins/losses, he waited about 4 seconds and said "no comment." He always seems to be in a bad mood when he talks to the media and it's not just when he talks about his contract. I would welcome Antoine Winfield or Bobby Taylor.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:51 pm

It to bad things haven't gone better during Champs time here. He's been a solid player. But he has also been compensated well for his work. As much as I'd like to see things work out for both sides, there's not much you can do as a organization when a player does want to play for you anymore. Case and point...Keyshawn Johnson. One thing Champ has to understand and I'm sure he does, this is as much a businees as a game the Skins will do what they need to do. Slap the franchise tag on him, I'd love to see us get the draft picks. It's time we brought is players and let them make names for themselfs as Redskins and stop bringing in players who were good with thier previous employers
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:19 am

I'd love to see us get the draft picks. It's time we brought is players and let them make names for themselfs as Redskins and stop bringing in players who were good with thier previous employers

100% agreement!

Chad

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:13 am

obviously the FO wasn't very impressed by Champ's comments either...

Sources familiar with Redskins management have indicated in recent weeks the club is at least considering other ways to use the money pegged for Bailey. If Washington moves forward with an alternate plan, it would have to sign another starting cornerback to play alongside Smoot.
Bailey, for his part, appears to have grown somewhat frustrated with life as a Redskin. On Monday he gave his strongest indication that he is thinking about moving on. After saying how the Redskins' struggles in recent years might affect the club's ability to sign free agents, Bailey was asked whether such thinking makes him less likely to re-sign. He replied, "No comment."

From today't TWT... rest of the story is here.

redskinsmiley

Hog

Postby gambit187 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:05 am

Honestly guys,
Would u be happy if you had 5 defensive coordinators in 5 years. Or if you team was steady showing decline, and the front office was screwed up. I dont see Champ staying with the skins, and the direction th team is going and the constant turn over and reworking of contracts and Danny Synder will make it hard to get free agents here. If they do come, it will probally be cause Synder will pay them well, and just like Bruce Smith, they will run to him over every little problem they have with coaching. I say just stockpile draft pics.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:17 am

gambit187 wrote:Honestly guys,
Would u be happy if you had 5 defensive coordinators in 5 years. Or if you team was steady showing decline, and the front office was screwed up. I dont see Champ staying with the skins, and the direction th team is going and the constant turn over and reworking of contracts and Danny Synder will make it hard to get free agents here. If they do come, it will probally be cause Synder will pay them well, and just like Bruce Smith, they will run to him over every little problem they have with coaching. I say just stockpile draft pics.

It dosn't matter whether Champ is right or not about the state of the team.

He's a senior guy... he's supposed to be a leader... and he's been whining since before the season even started. it has been a MAJOR distraction from day number one... AND HE'S UNDER CONTRACT. It's not like he's getting paid league minimum. He should keep his mouth shut, play out the string and be thankful that he has a job that pays him as much in 16 games as many of us will see in a decade.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going... but apparently Champ took that literally.

As for FAs coming because of money.... like that's any different anywhere else in the league. This is the new NFL... making money is ALL that matters to 95% of these players.

Snyder throwing money around has been going on since he got here... lack of success and state of turmoil didn't seem to deter too many FAs from signing last offseason. Snyder's big cheque book dictates that this season will probably be no different. Unfortunately, now we don't have Mendes around to keep Snyder and My Cousin Vinny's spending thrifts in line.

My 2 cents

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:06 am

gambit187 wrote:the direction this team is going and the constant turn over and reworking of contracts and Danny Synder will make it hard to get free agents here.

I here ya gambit, but like it or not this is life in the NFL now. The team that can make these kind of adjustments are the teams you will see making a run at the playoffs. The window of opportuniy is the NFL now is so short, then when you do have some success everyone wants to get paid more. That is where are problems begin, we have a owner who makes a lot of the decisions around here. He has a man next to him named Vinny, who when out of work go O offers from the rest of the league. What does that tell you. Let SS bring in a GM someone who he trusts. It absolutly kill me to say this but the Tuna had one of my favorite quotes...If you want me to do the cooking, you need to let me buy the groceries
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

scooter

Postby Scooter » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:17 am

Do you really want the BEST guy at the position? Just thinking that the top guy at every spot doesn't neccessarily translate to W's. Looking at teams like the Patriots - and I don't think they have ANY of the top guys in the NFL...? Other than Marshall Faulk - the Rams don't have the best player at any position. People could argue McNabb is the best - but I don't think so... the Eagles don't have guys at the peak. But there are some real studs on teams that aren't good. Urlacher for one - Favre is probably past his prime, but he's the only star in Green Bay. People in Seattle don't even know who plays in Seattle!? Tampa Bay has a ton of top guys - and where are they?

I think I'd rather have 5 or 6 really good guys than one great guy. The problem is finding the second-teir guys - you've gotta scout within the NFL. We've done a little of that, the Jets were all good targets... but we needed help in a lot of other areas.
Let Champ go and cost some team $7 Mil per year... and sign good players at $1 Mil to $1.5 Mil.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:00 pm

Jake wrote:I saw him on tv talking about it. Chick Hernandez from Comcast Sports Net asked him if him staying in Washington will be affected by our number's of wins/losses, he waited about 4 seconds and said "no comment." He always seems to be in a bad mood when he talks to the media and it's not just when he talks about his contract. I would welcome Antoine Winfield or Bobby Taylor.

1) Chick Hernandez is an ASS (He grew up a Dallass fan which is why we get no love from his sawed-off butt to begin with)

2) Players like Champ don't grow on trees. We need to do everything possible to keep him even if he is whining.

3) DO NOT BRING IN ANY EAGLE PLAYERS!!!!!! The reason why the eagles are doing well is because of solid coaching..period. They have spent the time bringing in players that are hungry, young, and playing within the system. The Eagles success will certainly overvalue any player from that team in the free agent market (see all the ex-cowboys from superbowl years that came to the skins.

4) WE NEED A REAL GM THAT HAS A FOOTBALL PEDIGREE AND FREE REIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is what it is

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:06 pm

4) WE NEED A REAL GM THAT HAS A FOOTBALL PEDIGREE AND FREE REIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yea, cuz we know that players are sure starting to say enuff with danny boy. hire a gm, let him find a caoach and assistants, let those "football people" do "football business", danny can still write those big checks and still feel all important... ;furious;
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:08 am

Scooter wrote:Do you really want the BEST guy at the position? Just thinking that the top guy at every spot doesn't neccessarily translate to W's. Looking at teams like the Patriots - and I don't think they have ANY of the top guys in the NFL...?

I agree - they did have one of the best in Milloy, and they let his spoiled a$$ go too. Gee they are looking so bad right now aren't they? I seem to remember winning three Superbowls with no namers at most positions. Lets face it - Olkewicz, Kaufman, Coleman, Gouveia are not namebrand LBs except to Skins fans. Who were the DBs? Darrell, of course - who else? We had Butz and Grant, Mann and Manley for the first, but then who else? I agree that in this era of free agency, my name is at the top of the contract money list or I sulk like a big pouty baby, my agent makes more than your agent nyah nyah nyah too much is made of the biggest and the baddest contract players on the team.
Rich in Roanoke

scooter

Postby Scooter » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:23 am

Having said all that, I'd hate to see a player like Champ go to the Eagles. If he goes someplace else - fine. I don't think the Giants are going to respond to anyone... ever again (I Hope). I have my Cowboy voodoo doll in the freezer right now.

Anyone seen a list of soon-to-be free-agents?

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:30 am

No - but I am keeping my eyes peeled (ouch)

I don't want Champ in the NFC East or the NFC. I think he is very good and wouldn't want to come up against him often. That said - I wouldn't hesitate to tell him he wasn't worth the MOST of any DB and to get down off of his pedestal.
Rich in Roanoke

scooter

Postby Scooter » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:27 pm

Good point, and the ones that are worth "the most" seem to understand that a team can't win if they break the bank. That said, I think that football players are underpaid compared to Hockey, Baseball and Basketball players. We should have a 20 game season with games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Open up Prime Time, get the ratings. Ratings equal dollars. A $100,000,000 cap would be nice to have.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football