WR'S

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
aka Evil Hog

WR'S

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:22 am

coles and gardner both had over 1000 last year. skins and steelers have the only teams in the league to field 2 wr's with over a 1000yds. plus we got jacobs. i think wilbon put it best when he said, most of the 3rd corners in the league won't match up well with taylor. by the way, anyone know anything or status of how well cliff russell is doing?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:17 am

forgot about stl, bruce and holt both had a 1000. but thats still only three teams out of 32 with a receiving corp like that.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:24 am

When I went to camp yesterday, I was very impressed with Cliff Russell. The guy can run, simply put. I'm really looking forward to him being the 3rd or 4th receiver and flying by the defense.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Site Admin

Jacobs & Russell

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:30 am

Cliff Russell was probably the guy that impresed me the most at camp. He has all world speed and there were numerous times that he blew by a DB like he was standing still.

I posted in several of my camp reports that Russell would push Jacobs hard for the #3 spot. On the other hand... while Jacobs lacks the blazing speed of Russell, he knows and understands this offense. He also runs great routes. There was a particular play one practice where Jacobs lined up wide (right in front of me), he took off like a bat out of hell on the snap and I was sure he was going to run a deep post. He turned the CB so badly that the safety came over to help. But Ramsey never even looked at Jacobs... his whole route was to clear out the zone. Which he did. When he'd gone about 12 yards down field, Ramsey hit Gardner coming across the middle underneath and he turned it up field for about 20 yards before any of the defenders could get to him.

I was just really impressed with a)Jacobs effort and b) the route that he ran. His knowlege of the Fun 'N Gun gives him a leg up on Russell for the spot, but Russell is making a strong case with his speed.

Nice problem to have though.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:49 am

nice problem to have indeed, patrick johnson done anything impressive in camp thus far?

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:59 am

hailskins666 wrote:nice problem to have indeed, patrick johnson done anything impressive in camp thus far?

Not that I could see the two times I've been to camp. And that includes one time where he got more reps because a few WRs (including Russell) were sitting out with injuries.

He's got the big-time hill to climb to make this team. Coles and Gardner are locks. (duh!) Jacobs and Russell are all-but. Here's the clip from the 8/4 TWT Camp Report:

"That leaves two spots up for grabs among veterans Patrick Johnson and Darnerian McCants and rookies Scott Cloman, Richmond Flowers and Pat Woodcock.

The hunch here is that Spurrier winds up keeping one of the experienced guys and one of the youngsters. And that means either Johnson or McCants could be looking for employment by the end of the month."

I wouldn't be so sure about that. With Russell's injury last year, he can be considered a new player along with Jacobs. If you take SC, RF or PW, that leaves you with half your WR corps in their first full NFL season.

That might just open the door for both McCants and Johnson to make the team.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:07 am

Not really. He has had some good days, but I think PJ is left hoping that we carry 6 WR's on the roster AND that he can show he has enough to beat Richmond Flowers or Scott Cloman out of a job. Flowers has great hands and his 'first on the field, last off the field' work ethic is the kind of thing that coaches really like. I believe that he has ST experience too.

PJ is also quite small (as is Flowers). I think we brought him in for speed but if we already have Coles, Russell and Jacobs ahead of him on the depth chart... in my mind McCants grabs the #5 spot because of his size and ability to be a better replacement for Gardner if he were to get injured.

So I think it's Flowers or PJ for the 6th spot, and that might depend just as much on some other positional battles. ie - if we carry 4 tailbacks... Canidate, Betts, Morton and Watson... it might be hard to carry 6 WR's on the main roster as opposed to 5 with one or two on the practice squad.

just My .02 cents ... and that's all it's worth :-)

HTTR

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:11 am

BossHog wrote:So I think it's Flowers or PJ for the 6th spot, and that might depend just as much on some other positional battles. ie - if we carry 4 tailbacks... Canidate, Betts, Morton and Watson... it might be hard to carry 6 WR's on the main roster as opposed to 5 with one or two on the practice squad.

just My .02 cents ... and that's all it's worth :-)

HTTR

You sound like you just hopped out of my head (and trust me, there's plenty of room in there). As I said, if they keep 6, PJ's biggest chance is that maybe, just maybe, SOS will be concerned with having 3 "newbies" in his 6-WR corps.

And, there's also this. Your 2 cents are Canadian. Which makes them worth, what ..... .45 of one copper Lincoln? :lol:
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:43 am

... sorry... you're right... two canadian cents.

And for the record... that's about 1.3 american cents. :-)

For the record... I'm rooting for Flowers... you just gotta love a guy that goes in to the forest to pee at every practice. He's got that 'root for the underdog' tag that I used to save for Justin Skaggs.

redskinsmiley

piglet

Postby ace phoenix » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:41 pm

I just want to say that it is great to actually worry about who our 5th reciever is instead of our #2. This is a completely different recieving corp than last year and should be much better.
Personally I am rooting for McCants and Flowers to be #'s 5 & 6 behind Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, and Russell. McCants is big, strong, and fast and Flowers just sounds like the kind of guy you want on your football team, who would also be a great special teams guy.

That will probably decide the 5th and possibly 6th reciever spots if we have them. Who is willing to run down on kickoff and put there helmet between someones numbers. My money says Patrick Johnson wouldn't as a veteran player, but McCants and Flowers as guys who want to make it would.
But SOS will have to make the decision...Hopefully the right onE!!!

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:15 pm

I am also routing for McCants. When he was at Delaware State, his "rep" was that he could go into a crowd and come down with the ball. He was known as a "possession" receiver who always found a way to catch the ball. This is a nice compliment, IMHO, to the other speed receivers we now have.

Just my My 2 cents
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:16 pm

Rooting....routing...either way, y'all know what I mean!

](*,)
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:25 pm

Venting Hog wrote:I am also routing for McCants.

He came through with some tough, tough catches last year. He proved he can play in this offense. He is definitely a better guy to have if R Gard goes down. I can remember SOS giving Darnerian credit in quite a few post game conferences.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football