We can talk about Champ all we want but...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Diesel

We can talk about Champ all we want but...

Postby DEHog » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:39 pm

The inability to run and stop the run is the main reason for this teams demise this years. Dare I go back and work the numbers of the backs we've faced this year. Backs that don't include J.Lewis, P.Holmes, A.Green, C.Portis hate to see what these backs would have done to us
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:12 pm

we play all four of those backs next year so we better spruce up this offseason. :( :( :( :(
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:19 pm

can't be all four, we only play one division in the afc, if its the afc west, we see portis and holmes, if its the afc north we get a dose of lewis, but any scenario, it isn't looking good. DRAFT A DT, AND PLEASE RE SIGN D. RUSSELL.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:21 pm

I would suggest reworking the entire front friggin line with the sole exception of Russell, maybe.
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:50 am

I would suggest reworking the entire front friggin line with the sole exception of Russell, maybe.

i think wynn is a solid "blue collar" type, not a superstar, just a good team player. i think we need one dt and one de....via draft or free agency, we've got a bunch of backups :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:27 am

I think if we could land a guy like Will Smith in the draft and re-sign Russell, we would at least be on the mend. Hopefully Noble can come back too. Wynn has been unimpressive but workman-like, and with a better supporting cast should still be adequate. He has shown he's not a pass rusher, but he might be our best 'run defender' on the line at his respective position.

If we end up franchising Champ and manage to land another 1st rounder, I'd use that for either a DT or a S whichever was better value at the pick. CB would be another possibility here if we hadn't filled Champ's spot with a FA come draft day.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:53 am

If we could land a good dt along with Russell and a defensive end we will be fine. If we keep some of the dline guys that are playing now we would have a deep bunch of players to rotate in!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:21 am

I believe that if we can get a stud DT in the fold we could be in decent shape. It still remains to be seen what we have in Russell. Knowing that we will be freeing up a spot and most likely money with the retirement of Smith, I hope we can net a nice fish in the offseason. I am not hearing good things about the return of Noble. That sucks, becuase the guy leaves it all on the field when he plays.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:49 am

I couldn't agree more...but weren't we screaming about the d-line deficencies at this past off-season? I know I was.

Champ will be too expensive. I say let him move on...although I know he's a fine player. We can't afford him and need to better distribute our $$$ team-wide and in particular, as stated, improve our running stuffing abilities.....that has to always be priority #1.....always has been, always will be IMHO. Our run defense, with the exception of last year, has been pathetic for a decade. Last year I was finally starting to think that someone got a clue and figured out that we had to stop the run.

Same can be said and has been said on the offensive side of the ball and the necessity to be able to run the ball and wear down our opponent's d.....sorry to ramble....but damn this isn't rocket science...why can't we just play smash mouth football like we did in the '80s behind our beloved HOGS?!?!?!?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

piglet

Postby JonEJetsters » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:23 am

As an outsider it is obvious the Skins need much help on the O-line....moreso than D-line!!

Ramsey looked promising until getting killed as the season wore on!!
Coles.....Dead
Thomas....Dead
Hall......Dead
Morton....Dead
Spurrier..Fu*k Him

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:32 am

As an outsider as you put it... you're not really correct on this one. The line has been very good as the season progressed. Most of the Ramsey kills were bad blocking schemes where the TE or RB weren't picking up their blocks.

Unfortunately, by the time the line rolled into better shape... Ramsey had been shellacked and lost his confidence. He started becoming his own worst enemy by not feeling the pressure and holding on to the ball too long.

Considering all of the injuries to the o-line... they did quite well. Randy thomas was perhaps our most consistent performer all season long. With Jansen, Samuels and Thomas returning... that's a good nucleus. Throw into that Derrick Dockery who was thrown into a baptism by fire when Dave Fiore went down for the season... that's 4 solid roster fills. DD did very well for a rookie when you look at the ENTIRE season.

Fiore will return from injury... we signed Kenyatta Joines as a backup tackle and brandon Winey has also played some good minutes at backup in Samuels' absence.

We don't need o-line help.

We WILL take Abrahams or Ellis... whichever one your FO is too cheap to sign... you can count on it.... and you already know it's coming. After all... if you had to pick the top 5 performing Redskins this year... 4 of them played for the Jets last year. Coles, Morton, Hall and Thomas were definitely all bright spots in a dull season. So thanks for them and we look forward to augmenting our lineup with a few more Jetskins.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:41 am

it is obvious you are an outsider. the o-line hasn't played terrible. a lot of ramsey's misfortunes were his own fault(holding the ball too long, happy feet, not throwing it away, etc, etc) more of the problem had been RB's not picking up the blitz. the o line has had a few injuries, three starters have been injured at some point. the line made some mistakes, but have you looked at the stats latley? we aren't giving up anywhere near the sacks we were. one of the reasons is because the qb who is starting now, gets rid of the ball....is a little more mobile than ramsey. the o line has a few games together and know what to expect of each other.... i think they call it chemistry. i would say i speak for 90% of the skins fans when i say we are happy with the o line. BUT the D-line is a totally different story. we can't stop the run. the only pass rusher we have is tierd ass, who's the sack leader now, its all about me bruce smith. that means we need two or three d linemen in the offseason. sounds to me like you havn't seen but one skins game all year(didn't hall kick that winning FG?) you probably heard a few stats on the pregame shows and maybe read a few articles and came to your assumption. then you decide to try to kick us while we're down by making that last remark, but it didn't work....TROLL
THN's resident jerk.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:51 pm

BLOW THE WHOLE THING UP!!!!!!
it is what it is

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football