New Coaches?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

New Coaches?

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:54 pm

I read on the hailredskins.com message board that they think if Gregg Williams comes to DC to be our DC (pun intended) that he might bring along Jerry Gray to help coach special teams or something like that. Gray, as you all know, played for the Rams as a DB in the late 80's and early 90's and was a coach with the Titans before moving to Buffalo with Willams. I would love to have Gray coaching us next year becuase:

1. I have some cards of him as a player that would need to be signed by him. \:D/

2. That's about it. :?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

----
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:03 am
Location: Medford, NJ

Re: New Coaches?

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:27 pm

Jake wrote:I read on the hailredskins.com message board that they think if Gregg Williams comes to DC to be our DC (pun intended) that he might bring along Jerry Gray to help coach special teams or something like that. Gray, as you all know, played for the Rams as a DB in the late 80's and early 90's and was a coach with the Titans before moving to Buffalo with Willams. I would love to have Gray coaching us next year becuase:

1. I have some cards of him as a player that would need to be signed by him. \:D/

2. That's about it. :?


Jake, are you serious? Our beloved franchise is crumbling and you are worried about getting a card signed? Maybe I should be as calm as you. Perhaps our fanbase doesn't have the same passion as others in our division or league for that matter. Oh well, if all it takes to make you happy is getting a card signed, I hope you get what you want (even though the 2 people you mentioned would not be the best choice for this franchise).
it is what it is

DM's #1 fan
Posts: 2895
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:14 pm
Location: Edgewater, MD

Postby SkinsChic » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:40 pm

I'm thinking Jake's trying to make the best of our Rotten situation.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:42 pm

I know our team stinks and Snyder is ruining everything, but what can you do? :hmm: I have been alive for their last two Super Bowls they won and the 1999 playoffs, so I can rejoice about that. I've collected cards my whole life and have gotten a lot autographed. I bond with some of the players. That is about as important as winning. To me, building a good bond and reputation with the players is something I'm thankful for because not too many people are as fortunate as me to have the oppurtunity to talk to them. I know how bad our team is and I hear it every day at school but how's a kid supposed to enjoy the team without a side-hobby?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Diesel
Posts: 5512
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Dover DE

Postby DEHog » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:00 pm

Jake wrote: I bond with some of the players.


Jake, hobbies are fine but be careful as to the amount of stock you put in the players. You say you talk to them, it what context? Alot of player are doing some great thing and alot are very self absorbed individuals. I personally have a problem asking another grown man for his autograph so I don't. I belive the adults should leave to card collecting and autographs to the kids.I have a 10 year old and he also enjoys the hobbie...the one thing I always tell him is not to look up to a athlete as a person (unless we know the athlete personally) but rather look up to his game. In other words it ok if he wants to play or model his game after Champ or Coles, but don't strive to be like them because you have no clue what kind of person they are
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:07 pm

Trust me, I don't idolize them. I've met Kenyatta Jones and Darrell Russell, but I know what they've done in the past. I only really bond with the guys who haven't been in trouble and like talking to the fans. I never have and never will idolize or strive to be like pro athletes b/c I see it every day about how someone got into trouble and stuff like that. I never try to set myself up for dissapointment. Ofcourse I have my favorite players, but they aren't my focal point of my life. I just love talking to 'em like people and getting autographs. When I become an adult I think I will feel a little awkward asking for their autographs, so I might as well live up childhood as much as I can. It's sort of good to get the players to know who I am so that when I become an adult, they wont think I'm weird or anything. :lol:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

---------
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Redskins Country!

Postby redskins56 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:07 am

To say that someone shouldn't bond with an athlete or idolize their favorite player, because they don't know what they are like, and that athletes are pompus is a bit much.

That's like saying every college basketball coach is an arrogant punk, just because Bobby Knight is. There are more individuals in every locker room league wide that are admirable, and inspiring than those who aren't. The problem is that all you ever hear about is an athlete getting arrested for DUI, or hitting his wife...

No news station is going to make bank telling people about how Darnerian McCants auctions off his paintings and gives the proceeds to childrens hospitals. Or how Rod Gardner donates money to his favorite charrity with every reception he makes. Or how Freed Smoot and Lavar Arrington do guest speaking engagements for high schoolers around our area.

There is no reason that kids shouldn't look up to these players off of the field, none whatsoever. To say that they are not good indiviudals to admire because you don't know them is a bit bogus I think. Living in our market we are surronded with information about our favorite stars all of the time, enough to base a decent opinion on them.

If Jake wants to get autographs from a player that he thinks highly of, then get autographs. Even Darrell Russell is extremely respectful, and matter of fact, I saw him come out of the player parking lot, and walk all the way over to a young kid with a card and marker. Little acts like that go under the radar, and the 26 fellonies he committed in the past is what is on everyones mind.

Diesel
Posts: 5512
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Dover DE

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:14 am

redskins56 wrote:To say that someone shouldn't bond with an athlete or idolize their favorite player, because they don't know what they are like, and that athletes are pompous is a bit much.


Go back and read, I never said all athletes and I never said pompous. You use the word idolize...I know no man on this earth that deserves to be idolize.

redskins56 wrote:That's like saying every college basketball coach is an arrogant punk, just because Bobby Knight is. There are more individuals in every locker room league wide that are admirable, and inspiring than those who aren't. The problem is that all you ever hear about is an athlete getting arrested for DUI, or hitting his wife...


As I said, there are a lot of athletes doing some amazing things. But what are their motives? Is it out of the kindness of their hearts or just tax deductions, I don't judge because I don't know the players. Just because some WR donates a couple of C-Notes every time he scores a TD doesn't make him someone kids should look up to!! for the record I don't think BK is a arrogant punk, I don't know him...I do wish SS had Little BK coaching style in him

redskins56 wrote:No news station is going to make bank telling people about how Darnerian McCants auctions off his paintings and gives the proceeds to childrens hospitals. Or how Rod Gardner donates money to his favorite charrity with every reception he makes. Or how Freed Smoot and Lavar Arrington do guest speaking engagements for high schoolers around our area. ...


IMO I have heard many stories from Warrick Dunn giving away houses to single mom's, Kurt Warner bible studies, David Robinson bringing 25 kids to every Spurs home games, How about Pat Tilly not only turning down a huge contract from St. Louis but enlisting in the Army Rangers and going to war in Iraq!! Did you know player get paid to go to schools and make speeches?

redskins56 wrote:There is no reason that kids shouldn't look up to these players off of the field, none whatsoever. To say that they are not good individuals to admire because you don't know them is a bit bogus I think. Living in our market we are surrounded with information about our favorite stars all of the time, enough to base a decent opinion on them....


Which is it?? You just said the news doesn't do any stories about the good athletes do, than you gave me some examples. Where do you get your info, do you know the player personally? If so, then you have a right to make a judgment on that player.

redskins56 wrote:If Jake wants to get autographs from a player that he thinks highly of, then get autographs. Even Darrell Russell is extremely respectful, and matter of fact, I saw him come out of the player parking lot, and walk all the way over to a young kid with a card and marker. Little acts like that go under the radar, and the 26 felonies he committed in the past is what is on everyone’s mind.....



Look I respect your opinions, I'm not sure if your a parent or not, I am, and no that doesn't make me more qualified then you to speak on this subject I just say it to let you know where I'm coming from. Because a player comes over and signs a autograph that makes him in your words "extremely respectful" Then you mention 26 felonies he committed...he was accused of committing??? I'm in military, one felony and I'm gone. I have a 10 year old son, who is he supposed to look up to?? Champ Bailey is his favorite player, yet Champ has repeatedly walk by my son and not signed his autograph for him, come on a 10 years old wearing a Champ jersey??? Does that make Champ a bad guy? Absolutely not! Because he's a great football player does that make him a great role model for my son? Yes and no, my son plays CB so yes Champ is a good role model for that as a personal role model? No, that’s my job. There're others in his life like his youth pastor at church (even if he is a eagles fan) He has a male teacher this year, and he is a wonderful role model!! I have raised my son to only look at what athletes do on the field. Yes I had a lot of explaining to do because of the recent events with Kobe and others, but If I hear a positive story I always tell him as well. As for Jake, glad he has a hobby; I think card collecting and autographs are a great hobby. I liked his response he seems to understand the line that exsist between fan and player. I love when he talks about how he and his mom go to the game together, my son and I have a great time throwing the ball around outside of FedEX on Sundays...That's bonding!! One of my jobs in the military is to help ID the remains of the young men and women killed in the war...You want role model and heroes go the Washington Post and look at the picture of the over 500 young men and women who have given their lives this past year so that guys like Darrell Rusell can enjoy his rights to a fair trial and resume his football career after 26 felonies!!

I'd be happy to continue this discussion with you but we should probably move it over to the lounge since the original thread was about coaching...sorry BH
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog
User avatar
Posts: 6481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 am
Location: South of Heaven, trying to hit a toilet on shrooms

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:19 am

i think gregg williams would be a MAJOR upgrade at DC. i also think mcginnis is another coach that would be a great DC. i'd love to see any DC that ACTUALLY BLITZES.
as for the "soap opera" thats going on in this thread, i could give a rats a** what the players do off the field...... rape, pillage, and burn, or do charity work at rest homes. BUT YOU BETTER SHOW UP ON SUNDAY WITH YOUR GAMEFACE!!!!!!!!
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel
Posts: 5512
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Dover DE

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:41 am

I agree Williams is a upgrade, for that matter any of the 3 Williams, McGinnis and Juron is a upgrade...I guess the proof is in how thier D's played and Buffalo had a pretty good D this year. My fear is SS is going to tie up the team and DS for a couple of weeks then resign and we miss out on the few HC out there, and have to take one of these guys as our HC
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog
User avatar
Posts: 6481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 am
Location: South of Heaven, trying to hit a toilet on shrooms

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:16 am

My fear is SS is going to tie up the team and DS for a couple of weeks then resign and we miss out on the few HC out there, and have to take one of these guys as our HC

i feel ya. don't prolong the inevitable. something has got to give. the names that are hiting the market right now, more than likely won't be there long. thats all we need at this point, is to work with a bunch of "left overs"
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

----
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:03 am
Location: Medford, NJ

Postby HitDoctor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:39 am

If this Williams guy is an upgrade, we won't get him because SS just skipped town without talking to the current staff. I'm REALY starting to hate this guy as much as our napoleanic owner. BTW, if someone could post a job history on this williams guy, I would appreciate it. If buffalo is his claim to fame, then I will elect my man jake here for the job. I'm sure he could get these guys to play (levity).
it is what it is

Diesel
Posts: 5512
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: Dover DE

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:51 am

Williams coached the Titans the year the Raven set the record for PA and the Titan D was actully better and he also coached the Titans D the year they went to the SB, If your a Kearse fan (I love him but not his health) he has said he would like to play for Williams again, so it could help the Skins, If they get Williams, to land Kearse. As for SS and the coaches..not to worry he told the coaches to keep their cell phone on...damn wouldn't it suck if your Edwards and you miss SS call..check your voicemail...hey Ed this is Steve Mr. Synder said I have to FIRE you. No need to return my call :explode:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog
User avatar
Posts: 6481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 am
Location: South of Heaven, trying to hit a toilet on shrooms

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:02 pm

No need to return my call

ROTFALMAO
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:39 pm

From BuffaloBills.com:

Pro Experience:
14th year in NFL / 3rd with Bills

For Gregg Williams, the 2003 campaign will be his third in Buffalo after being named as the 12th head coach in team history on February 1, 2001.

The consistent improvement and fierce competitiveness displayed by the Bills in two seasons under Williams has Buffalo fans extremely encouraged and optimistic about the team's immediate future.

Under Williams last season, the Bills executed a five-game turnaround from 2001, matching the best one-year improvement in team history. It also was the AFC's biggest turnaround in 2002 and second-best in the NFL behind only the Carolina Panthers, who went from 1-15 to 7-9.

In 2001, his first season as an NFL head coach provided many challenges, including cost-cutting cap decisions as well as injuries to key players. Still, under Williams in '01 the Bills continually displayed a unique brand of toughness and resilience. Particularly in the latter part of the season, the Bills earned a reputation as a young team that would battle each week no matter the circumstances and were a squad that no one looked forward to facing.

Williams came to the Bills after 11 seasons with the Tennessee organization, including the last four as the Titans' defensive coordinator. Williams worked his way up from quality control coach in 1990 to defensive coordinator in 1997. Under his leadership in 2000, the Titans defensive unit led the league in total defense for the first time since joining the NFL and the 191 points allowed were the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted a 16-game schedule in 1978. The Tennessee defense also led the league in third-down efficiency (30.8%), fourth-down efficiency (8.3%) and fewest first downs allowed (215).

In 2000, under Williams' guidance, the team also established the franchise's single-season records for sacks (55), fewest passing yards allowed (2,424), and fewest offensive touchdowns allowed (17). The Titans also ranked first in the AFC and second in the NFL over the 1999-2000 seasons in sacks with 109 combined. Tennessee was the only team in the NFL to place in the top seven in both run (3) and pass defense (1); and over their last 37 games under Williams, the Titans' run defense only allowed three 100-yard rushers. In 1999, the Titans' defense also led the NFL in the big play stat of combined sacks and turnovers with an impressive 94.

Before taking over as defensive coordinator, Williams spent three seasons (1994-96) overseeing the Oilers' linebackers after spending the 1993 campaign as the team's special teams coach. In 1993, Williams' special teams unit had the top-rated punting game and rated sixth in kickoff return defense. From 1990-92, Williams served as the club's first quality control coordinator. In addition, Williams had previously assisted in the coaching of the Oilers' defensive backs, assisted the "scout" teams for practice sessions and helped the defensive coaching staff on game day.

Prior to joining the Oilers, Williams spent the 1988-89 seasons working with the linebackers as a graduate assistant at the University of Houston for former Oilers head coach Jack Pardee. From 1984-87, Williams was the head coach at Belton (MO) High School after spending the 1980-83 campaigns as an assistant coach at his hometown of Excelsior Springs (MO) High School. In his time as the Bills head coach, Williams has repeatedly exhibited his high regard for high school coaching profession, most notably through the high school coaches clinic he and his staff conduct each spring.

P E R S O N A L
A native of Excelsior Springs, MO, Williams (born 7/15/58) was a quarterback and also played baseball at Northeast Missouri State where he received his B.S. degree. He later earned his master's in education from Central Missouri State. Gregg and his wife, Leigh Ann, have a daughter, Amy (13) and two sons, Blake (18) and Chase (11).
COACHING HISTORY
2001- Buffalo Bills
(Head Coach)
1997-00 Tennessee Titans
(Defensive Coordinator)
1994-96 Houston Oilers
(Linebackers)
1993 Houston Oilers
(Special Teams)
1990-92 Houston Oilers
(Quality Control)
1988-89 University of Houston
(Graduate Assistant)
1984-87 Belton (MO) High School
(Head Coach)
1980-83 Excelsior Springs (MO) High School
(Assistant)
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football